SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#443670 - 01/01/18 02:22 AM Re: Benefits of using a MAC vs PC for Music+ [Re: Dnj]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
SSD: All modern motherboards have an M2 slot for an SSD which comes in 2 flavours, standard SATA speed (Typically 550MBs) and the PCIe which is significantly faster. (Typically 2.5GBs)
Go for an Intel i7 (Coffee Lake) or AMD Ryzen 1800x for the CPU. (Avoid the Intel K versions unless you want to overclock)
Memory at least 16GB
Data Storage: Go for a 7200rpm drive with at least 2TB capacity, and for better data security get 2 drives and set them up as a Raid 1 array. (But still do regular backups)
For normal use the on-board video will be fine, however if you want 4K (Including HDR when doing advanced video editing) then it can get expensive, so consult your local supplier if you have these requirements.
OS: Windows 10 as it will do everything you need, and there are very few Win 7 (Or older) programs that won’t work on it if installed and run in compatibility mode. (Check the web if you are worried about a specific program)
TIP: Pin your favourite programs to the Start Menu and/or Taskbar for faster access.
All user settings are now in an easy to use screen (You no longer need to bother with the control panel for most things) in plain English for easier understanding. (Advanced options are still available from these screens or by right clicking the Microsoft (Start) button for the most common)

Have fun

Bill

#443671 - 01/01/18 02:22 AM Re: Benefits of using a MAC vs PC for Music+ [Re: Nigel]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By Nigel
I would get a Win 10 PC. You can search online how to make it work very much like Win 7. Not a big deal. Make sure to get an Intel I7 processor and at least 16GB of memory. I agree an SSD drive does make things fast but they are much smaller than a regular HD so get a 1TB HD as well to hold most of your data.

Get a 1 TB evo 850 SSD from Samsung...

Ultrafast
Super reliable
Dirt cheap (i bought one for €270)

No need for regular HD’s anymore....

This is so ething i can advise everyone to do in 2018...

Edited by Bachus (01/01/18 02:23 AM)

http://keyszone.boards.net

#443672 - 01/01/18 03:31 AM Re: Benefits of using a MAC vs PC for Music+ [Re: Bachus]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By Bachus

Get a 1 TB evo 850 SSD from Samsung...

A 1TB SSD would be perfect.

#443675 - 01/01/18 05:35 AM Re: Benefits of using a MAC vs PC for Music+ [Re: Dnj]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
The 850 EVO is good but falls well short of the M2 version, (It’s a snail in comparison) the EVO though is ideal for older or cheaper computers as you get a real boost in performance.

If it’s a laptop a 1TB SSD is fine, but if it’s a Desktop just use the SSD for programs (Hence you only need a 500GB one) and use a separate HDD for the Data and Disk Streaming as you will get a much better performance. (If you look at all but basic music computer desktops they always have an SSD for programs and HDD system for Data)

Bill

#443679 - 01/01/18 07:31 AM Re: Benefits of using a MAC vs PC for Music+ [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

now this is great info thank you all so much, .....next week I have decided o stick with windows and get a new desktop built with many of the specs Bill & Nigel etc have suggested and I should be OK speed and efficiency wise thanx again to be continued..

#443680 - 01/01/18 07:34 AM Re: Benefits of using a MAC vs PC for Music+ [Re: Nigel]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Nigel
I would get a Win 10 PC. You can search online how to make it work very much like Win 7. Not a big deal. Make sure to get an Intel I7 processor and at least 16GB of memory. I agree an SSD drive does make things fast but they are much smaller than a regular HD so get a 1TB HD as well to hold most of your data.

Thank you Nigel appreciate your help....

#443683 - 01/01/18 07:56 AM Re: Benefits of using a MAC vs PC for Music+ [Re: MacAllcock]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By MacAllcock
Compared to previous versions, Windows 10 has much improved audio and midi handling although I think the application software has to be updated to use the new capabilities to take full advantage.

I updated from Win 7 to Win 10 when it was free and have had no real issues. Microsoft have stated that Windows 10 is going to be their last version of Windows and that it will be continuing updated. Admittedly their updates seem to be ******** huge.

If you want a fast Win10 system, you need 64 bit, 8 gig of RAM minimum, and as good an SSD as you can afford. Intel I7 if possible but I5 is pretty nippy these days. Do not succumb to someone selling a game spec machine with flash extras like top spec memory or a watercooled processor, you money is best spent on that SSD, the gamer spec may be 20% quicker but for 50% extra cost.

John advice well taken thanx

#443696 - 01/01/18 12:11 PM Re: Benefits of using a MAC vs PC for Music+ [Re: abacus]
Torch Offline

Originally Posted By abacus
SSD: All modern motherboards have an M2 slot for an SSD which comes in 2 flavours, standard SATA speed (Typically 550MBs) and the PCIe which is significantly faster. (Typically 2.5GBs)
SNIP
Bill
I can hardly keep up with PC specs. The PCIe at 2.5GBs? Wow. That is fast. I understand that the PCIe is much smaller than the M2 slot, too. It seems that prices for SSDs have gone up. I paid $500 for a Samsung 2TB Evo 850 SSD last year or so. My next PC would be a portable PC like a Mac Mini with a 20 some inch touchscreen. It can serve as a desktop at home or as a powerful performance PC with a large touch screen. The whole setup would be quite portable.
"You Shall Know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free." John 8:32

#443702 - 01/01/18 12:46 PM Re: Benefits of using a MAC vs PC for Music+ [Re: jingleman]
Torch Offline

Originally Posted By jingleman
I just have a hard time buying into the Mac cult. I have an iPad which I love, and there’s no doubt that their products are well designed and engineered.

It bothers me that once you jump on the Mac train...they got you. Expensive upgrades and proprietary add on components.

Just my 2 cents.
Exactly how I feel about Apple as a company. Funny that you used the word cult. It reminds me of Lindstrom an expert in neuromarketing who said strong brands are like religion. He once said in a newspaper interview that the reason Samsung can't compete with Apple is because Samsung is nobody's religion. As a Christian, I don't even like the word religion. I used to buy iPads for older relatives of mine so that they could read the Bible. These folks quickly outgrew them; they were taking pics and videos! Limted memory on the iPad. You are stuck, though now there is a way to expand the storage. My sister in law couldn't wait for me to buy an Android tablet for her. She went out and bought one herself. Now she knows how to use micro SD cards and all that!
"You Shall Know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free." John 8:32

#443705 - 01/01/18 12:52 PM Re: Benefits of using a MAC vs PC for Music+ [Re: abacus]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By abacus
The 850 EVO is good but falls well short of the M2 version, (It’s a snail in comparison) the EVO though is ideal for older or cheaper computers as you get a real boost in performance.

If it’s a laptop a 1TB SSD is fine, but if it’s a Desktop just use the SSD for programs (Hence you only need a 500GB one) and use a separate HDD for the Data and Disk Streaming as you will get a much better performance. (If you look at all but basic music computer desktops they always have an SSD for programs and HDD system for Data)

Bill

Offcourse, but we where talking about upgrading Donny’s old windows 7 Pc werent we?

http://keyszone.boards.net

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online