SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#443639 - 12/31/17 02:22 PM Re: Benefits of using a MAC vs PC for Music+ [Re: Dnj]
DAN.2000 Offline

Loc: FRANCE
I use Windows 10 and I am happy with it.

Dan
https://www.varranger.com

#443641 - 12/31/17 02:58 PM Re: Benefits of using a MAC vs PC for Music+ [Re: Dnj]
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
Compared to previous versions, Windows 10 has much improved audio and midi handling although I think the application software has to be updated to use the new capabilities to take full advantage.

I updated from Win 7 to Win 10 when it was free and have had no real issues. Microsoft have stated that Windows 10 is going to be their last version of Windows and that it will be continuing updated. Admittedly their updates seem to be ******** huge.

If you want a fast Win10 system, you need 64 bit, 8 gig of RAM minimum, and as good an SSD as you can afford. Intel I7 if possible but I5 is pretty nippy these days. Do not succumb to someone selling a game spec machine with flash extras like top spec memory or a watercooled processor, you money is best spent on that SSD, the gamer spec may be 20% quicker but for 50% extra cost.

#443642 - 12/31/17 03:13 PM Re: Benefits of using a MAC vs PC for Music+ [Re: Dnj]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Donny,

Here’s my “keep it simple answer”. I love Macs but you have been in the Windows camp stay with it. I have an older Win7 computer that I use for stuff that won’t run on the Mac. Boot camp works but why put yourself thru what could be some un-needed aggravation. Plus your $$$ will go much further than trying to purchase a Mac. Macs have become way overpriced and you can get a comparable Windows machine for many hundreds less than the Mac. The MacBook Pro has changed and in my opinion not for the better, they removed many ports that used to be standard equipment, now you got to buy these so called “dongles,” it’s Apple being very greedy. Yea I have a few friends with Macs and were not happy as a group to how they have changed the Mac Book Pro. Thankfully I have an older Mac Book Pro that I bought refurbished from Apple in 2009. ONe thing for the Macs they are very durable machines my 2009 Mac Book is a good example of it.

Edited by Stephenm52 (12/31/17 03:20 PM)

#443644 - 12/31/17 03:18 PM Re: Benefits of using a MAC vs PC for Music+ [Re: Stephenm52]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Stephenm52
Donny,

Here’s my “keep it simple answer”. I love Macs but you have been in the Windows camp stay with it. I have an older Win7 computer that I use for stuff that won’t run on the Mac. Boot camp works but why put yourself thru what could be some un-needed aggravation. Plus your $$$ will go much further than trying to purchase a Mac. Macs have become way overpriced and you can get a comparable Windows machine for many hundreds less than the Mac.

Thanx Steve I guess your right, ...I'll just stick with windows but maybe try to get the fastest I can built somewhere...can any of you Pc gerus list some of the features I should Be looking for to build a super FAST PC..for Internet browsing, video, music production, photo files, thanx

#443651 - 12/31/17 05:15 PM Re: Benefits of using a MAC vs PC for Music+ [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
AS MacAllcock said, make an SSD your highest priority. No other single thing will affect speed and performance as much. A good graphics card is nice but (a super expensive one) is not critical for music applications. If you plan to use VST's, get 16g RAM minimum (good idea even if you don't use VST's). As much as possible, keep it off the internet. In any case, use Windows 10 and ALL the built-in security it provides. This is just basic stuff, but start there. BTW, I would be careful turning on Auto-update. There have been some problems with a few of the updates (with sleep mode, et al). Do manual updates a few weeks after they've been out and you've had time to check the forums for potential problems. Also, depending on the form factor (Desktop?), installing a SSD drive (assuming you unit doesn't come with one) and porting Windows over to it is pretty simple. Oh, and if you're using an 'older' audio interface, make sure there's an available (Windows 10) driver for it.

chas

#443653 - 12/31/17 06:48 PM Re: Benefits of using a MAC vs PC for Music+ [Re: Dnj]
jingleman Offline

Loc: The Villages, FL, USA
Donny, What computer are you using your Focusrite 2i2 with? Plus, you’ve got Mixcraft Pro 8 which is PC only (I believe).

I’ve had good luck with Mixcraft on Windows 10 and I believe your 2i2 should work fine.

The biggest advantage to Windows, in my opinion, is the bang for the buck. You can buy a lot of muscle for significantly less money than you’ll pay for Apple.

Good luck with your choice,
jingleman

#443655 - 12/31/17 07:00 PM Re: Benefits of using a MAC vs PC for Music+ [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

I use a custom made win7 PC..... Works fine but lags sometimes when taxed...

#443656 - 12/31/17 07:41 PM Re: Benefits of using a MAC vs PC for Music+ [Re: Dnj]
jingleman Offline

Loc: The Villages, FL, USA
I just have a hard time buying into the Mac cult. I have an iPad which I love, and there’s no doubt that their products are well designed and engineered.

It bothers me that once you jump on the Mac train...they got you. Expensive upgrades and proprietary add on components.

Just my 2 cents.

#443666 - 01/01/18 12:24 AM Re: Benefits of using a MAC vs PC for Music+ [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I strongly second the Solid State Drive suggestion. I have one in my new laptop and it is lightening fast booting up and running. When I get time I'm going to add on to my home PC.

#443669 - 01/01/18 02:13 AM Re: Benefits of using a MAC vs PC for Music+ [Re: Dnj]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
I would get a Win 10 PC. You can search online how to make it work very much like Win 7. Not a big deal. Make sure to get an Intel I7 processor and at least 16GB of memory. I agree an SSD drive does make things fast but they are much smaller than a regular HD so get a 1TB HD as well to hold most of your data.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online