SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#44356 - 05/08/02 05:01 PM Printing Music
larry gosmeyer Offline

Loc: La Verne, CA USA
Hi all. My old outdated Music printing program will not work with XP.

Can you give me your suggestions as to a good, simple, Music Notation Program that you use to enter the notes, etc., and then print out the song.

Thanks, very much.

Larry Gosmeyer
larry.gosmeyer@verizon.net

[This message has been edited by larry gosmeyer (edited 05-08-2002).]

#44357 - 05/08/02 05:22 PM Re: Printing Music
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
Larry, I believe we have talked in the past about Lime notation software. I am trying to find out right now if anyone has tested Lime with XP. As you may recall, I have over 400 simple lead (fake) sheets with melody line, lyrics and chord names done with Lime. I can put a sheet together for a song in about 15 to 20 minutes with Lime and it prints as professional looking sheet as can be found in any music book. Lime can be downloaded from the web and costs about $60 when it is registered. I'll get back as soon as I verify that someone has tested Lime with XP.

#44358 - 05/08/02 10:05 PM Re: Printing Music
technicsplayer Offline

I've just finished reviewing Finale Print Music for technote magazine. This is an inexpensive scoring software, extremely easy to produce lead sheets by pc keyboard, midi keyboard or mouse, also with scanning input and microphone input for wind instruments. Also inputs and saves midi files, and converts encore and rhapsody files.

The website says XP is ok. For the money (around $60) I think its the best all round cheap program with the most options giving engraver quality scores.

There's a free download of a cut down version.

#44359 - 05/08/02 11:48 PM Re: Printing Music
Bob Hendershot Offline

Alec, I am impressed with Lime's ability to import NIFF file format from scanned music. I use that option often. I use SharpEye as my scanning software. Do you know if Finale Print Music can import NIFF or any other scanned music image files?

#44360 - 05/09/02 07:23 AM Re: Printing Music
technicsplayer Offline

Hi Bob
This cheap version imports encore, rhapsody, midiscan and smartscore. It converts internally from uncompressed TIF format, the module being a basic one but useful in that you need not pay for another program unless converting lots of scans and want to save time.

I use smartscore and that's the best I've found so far.

It's a few years since I used midiscan, the files were saved as mnod (.mnd), and finale can import these but I see no specific input for the general niff format, and have no files to try anymore. I remember I used to have a mnod to niff converter... maybe there's another around to go in the opposite direction?

Hi Larry,
I forgot to mention Noteworthy Composer, this is about half the price of Finale Print Music and also very good though not as flexible. They also list XP as an option.

Try loading the software in 95 or 98 compatabilty mode.

#44361 - 05/09/02 01:54 PM Re: Printing Music
Bob Hendershot Offline

Thanks Alec. I gave up on Midiscan and switched to SharpEye several years ago. SharpEye was far superior in OCR accuracy. About the only thing it misses is inserting a 1 for most of the l's in lyrics. There is very little editing to do. I have not tried Smartscore. If Finale Print Music can import tif files, then it should be easy to scan the sheets (with Photoshop) that I have already done to get them into Finale. That gives me a back up approach if Lime doesn't work with XP (although I think it will). Lime is without a doubt the most flexible notation software available in it's price range. Almost every variable (such as line width, margins, staff size, etc.) is user adjustable. And, the trial version that is downloadable is fully functional and can handle complete orchestral notation if it is needed. But, it's human interface is not as friendly as others that I have used.

#44362 - 05/09/02 03:33 PM Re: Printing Music
Ted Rose Offline

Loc: United States
Hello again fellow Forum friends! Back from a spring vacation sojourn so time to rejoin the Forum! I have tried Easy record and saved the result as a midi file; then I have used the floppy on a couple of Cakewalk programs. Results of the printed music have been mixed--sometimes they come out OK but with lots of extraneous notes and rests throughout. Will check out these new ideas.

Ted Rose

#44363 - 05/10/02 03:14 AM Re: Printing Music
waterschip Offline

Loc: Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Hi,

look at Magix Notation. Very flixible to.
You can choose from different score styles.

Below the screen there is a keyboard. press the note and it appears at the score bar.
Also you can put lyrics ect. in all kind of types and fonts.

Also imp/exp. midi. in is a sequecer to.
the pric is about $40,=

rgds.
Wim

#44364 - 05/13/02 07:31 PM Re: Printing Music
Sparky Offline

Loc: lewiston maine usa
test

Larry Gosmeyer
larry.gosmeyer@verizon.net

[This message has been edited by larry gosmeyer (edited 05-08-2002).][/B][/QUOTE]

#44365 - 05/13/02 09:33 PM Re: Printing Music
Mike Daniell Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Qld, Australia
I was introduced to Lime by Bob Hendershot some time ago, and for printing sheet music this is my preferred software. Much of the music I play is now in Lime format, and the printed results are professional in their appearance. The product is constantly being updated, and I've just checked out the product information (accessible via http://www.cerlsoundgroup.org/ ) and the developers claim it to be compatible with Windows XP.

Mike

[This message has been edited by Mike Daniell (edited 05-13-2002).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online