SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#442947 - 12/21/17 06:39 AM Mackie Reach Speaker system anyone using?
Dnj Offline

#442949 - 12/21/17 06:59 AM Re: Mackie Reach Speaker system anyone using? [Re: Dnj]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
There was one in the music store where I teach and it sat for quite awhile. Like a lot of other all in one systems more designed for the acoustic guitar / singer types. No bottom end for keyboards and I think it was expensive for what it was.
I'm repeating myself but for portability and big sound the best all in one I've seen in person is the JBL Eon One.
They just finally sold a Maul System which also sat for awhile. It was the model with the 12" sub and it sounded very good but lost it for me in the portability factor.

#442953 - 12/21/17 07:11 AM Re: Mackie Reach Speaker system anyone using? [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Bill they sit because of ignorance Id say,....the LD systems speakers are among the best I have ever used for sure for sound & reliability,..I never liked the sound of any JBL units.. to each his own.
Anyway at least mackie tries to innovate with new gear all the time nothing wrong with that...

Merry Christmas

#442955 - 12/21/17 07:15 AM Re: Mackie Reach Speaker system anyone using? [Re: Dnj]
shueymusic Offline

Loc: Lebanon, PA
FEATURES

Powered: Yes
Power Configuration: Bi-amped + Full range side fills
LF Driver Size: 2 x 6.5″ (LF), 2 x 4″ (Full range)
HF Driver Size: 3 x 1″ dome compression drivers, radial curve design
Total Power: 720W Peak
Inputs: 4 x XLR-1/4″ combo, 1 x 1/4″ (Link in), 1 x 1/8″ (Aux in), Bluetooth
Outputs: 1 x 1/4″ (Link Out), 1 x 1/4″ (headphone), 1 x 1/4″ (footswitch)
Maximum Peak SPL: 126dB
Weight : 30.8 lbs.

Looks great on paper! May be light on bass. It looks like it is a traditional speaker and not like a line-array. $999 for a digital mixer... speaker with no sub... interesting idea.

In my duo, it looks like it would have to be placed in between us and slightly front. I guess it would make our duo a trio... me... Mackie Reach... my wife.
Yamaha Genos - RCF M20x - RCF HD10A (Stereo) - Jupiter Pocket Trumpet - Sennheiser e935 - Neumann KMS-104 plus-N

#442956 - 12/21/17 07:57 AM Re: Mackie Reach Speaker system anyone using? [Re: Dnj]
Bill Lewis Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
Bill they sit because of ignorance Id say,....the LD systems speakers are among the best I have ever used for sure for sound & reliability,..I never liked the sound of any JBL units.. to each his own.
Anyway at least mackie tries to innovate with new gear all the time nothing wrong with that...

Merry Christmas

I agree, people know very little about whats out there and I think tend more to stick with names they recognize.
As I said the Maul System sounded fine when I heard it but I'm sure that heavy sub box and the fact of moving different pieces is what held it back.
JBL went Chinese but I've had good luck so far with my 515xts. Just tired of speaker stands and they project so much I can't get a true feel for my sound with the speaker right next to me. Also very little need for that much power in the venues here. Only twice did I really need it and I doubt if I'll be doing any more gigs like those.
If you can just for fun go listen to an Eon One and better yet bring your keyboard. I think you will be surprized as I was.
Merry Christmas back at ya and have a great New Year.

#442984 - 12/21/17 03:12 PM Re: Mackie Reach Speaker system anyone using? [Re: Bill Lewis]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Originally Posted By Bill Lewis

I agree, people know very little about whats out there and I think tend more to stick with names they recognize.
As I said the Maul System sounded fine when I heard it but I'm sure that heavy sub box and the fact of moving different pieces is what held it back.
JBL went Chinese but I've had good luck so far with my 515xts. Just tired of speaker stands and they project so much I can't get a true feel for my sound with the speaker right next to me. Also very little need for that much power in the venues here. Only twice did I really need it and I doubt if I'll be doing any more gigs like those.
If you can just for fun go listen to an Eon One and better yet bring your keyboard. I think you will be surprized as I was.
Merry Christmas back at ya and have a great New Year.

Eon One. This has to be one of the best keyboard amps I’ve used. I love the sound with my 4X. It’s also very flexible with inputs and controls.

The downside is the size of the amp...it’s a bit bulky. However, it’s still my go to amp.

#443000 - 12/22/17 02:51 AM Re: Mackie Reach Speaker system anyone using? [Re: Dnj]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I use a Bose compact or the Space Station. I am curious as to the advantage of the Eon One.

#443002 - 12/22/17 05:44 AM Re: Mackie Reach Speaker system anyone using? [Re: Bernie9]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Bernie9
I use a Bose compact or the Space Station. I am curious as to the advantage of the Eon One.

Bernie cant wait for your JBL Eon1 review could be the perfect system for your needs vs the other two mentioned.....
you know you want a NEW Xmas present lol you've been a good boy!!

Merry Christmas

Edited by Dnj (12/22/17 05:45 AM)

#443004 - 12/22/17 06:27 AM Re: Mackie Reach Speaker system anyone using? [Re: Bernie9]
Bill Lewis Offline

[quote=Bernie9]I use a Bose compact or the Space Station. I am curious as to the advantage of the Eon One

Bernie
IMO the Eon would be more powerful and have better bass than either of the systems you have. The Compact was very popular but numerous musicians have commented on how the Eon overpowers it . The SS3 is a unique concept but needs to be placed in the right place to do its magic. Adding amp stands to tilt it and carrying baffles to disperse the sound properly or adding a sub to fill out the sound make it too complicated,for me. Look up my old review of the Eon vrs. my 515xt. Or do what I suggested to Donny. Go play thru one and be surprised.

#443006 - 12/22/17 06:45 AM Re: Mackie Reach Speaker system anyone using? [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Guys.... you have lost your way!! smile

As keyboard players don't you remember the days you used a keyboard amp?
Remember that full sound?
Remember the bottom and punch?
Remember it sounded like it came from the keyboard you were playing?
And not some mystery location in the air.. grin

PA systems are "public announce" systems.... designed for voice and general background sound.. Today's standards... make it louder.... not better..

The newer gimmick concepts are designed for a solo instrument like guitar and a vocal..

Years ago we were peaked at sound on stage..
The bass player had his bass amp (near him and you could locate the bass player by the stage sound..)

The guitar player had his perfect sound with his own guitar amp...and yes we knew were he was on stage.. smirk

The keyboard player had all the detail sound he / she needed with a keyboard amp...an amp designed for full range sound.. usually two way, many 3 way systems.. and the sound was right there at the keyboard.. It felt like you were playing the instrument you were hearing... No need for the monitors usually needed with the current sound systems if you want to hear what you are doing.(maybe with the auto/ push a button stuff today ..you don't care..)

I still have the same Keyboard amps for the last 32 years.. As a keyboard player there is nothing better.. Especially on stage..

Buying lighter stuff... good for your energy use, but do you really think it sounds better?

There are reasons why the old gear was built in cabinets with design features, and extra components as in 3 way.. tweeter , horn, and woofer.. with crossover points... and 15" speakers (yes there is a difference). wink

I have never been happy with my keyboards coming from PA speakers up on polls... it leaves me unattached with the sound and keyboard..

Just rethink where we are going.. and for guys that still have keyboard amps (Bill you still have your Crates?)... listen to them again and compare to the new gimmick stuff...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online