SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#442862 - 12/20/17 06:05 AM Genos & Accordion Spanish Eyes...
Dnj Offline

#442866 - 12/20/17 06:39 AM Re: Genos & Accordion Spanish Eyes... [Re: Dnj]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Nice. It always fun to get to play with other musician even with all the great sounds and styles an arranger has.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#442873 - 12/20/17 07:20 AM Re: Genos & Accordion Spanish Eyes... [Re: montunoman]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
One of these days I HAVE to get the accordion out from the closet ... one of these days ...

Thanks for posting that Donny ... And I do admire the keyboard player ...

#442888 - 12/20/17 10:01 AM Re: Genos & Accordion Spanish Eyes... [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Ok, as Donny would say, "if I'm being perfectly honest"..... listening to that video was very comparable (to me) to watching paint dry. Two other things; 1) I don't consider that "playing with another musician". To me that was an accordionist playing with an arranger keyboard (with some guy mechanically triggering the chords). 2. I didn't hear anything coming out of that arranger that would induce someone to spend 6k to get that sound. To my ears, what I heard could have been produced by any arranger manufactured after 1985 from BOTL to TOTL.

Now I'm not saying that the Genos isn't capable of producing great music, I'm just saying it's gross overkill for the production of this video. In all fairness though, I don't consider any situation where a solo instrumentalist is playing to an arranger accompaniment as 'musicians playing together'. I think an exception might/could be a VERY skilled keyboardist using MINIMAL style parts (drums or drums/bass). I think it's essential that the 'fixed' style parts not interfere with the interaction between the two musicians and that it is flexible enough that each can respond to what the other is doing.

Also, to be fair, the accordionist does a nice job playing some complimentary riffs to the very rigid arranger playing. BTW, these observations and thoughts are not gospel, just my opinion (which is no more or less valuable than the next guys).

chas

#442889 - 12/20/17 10:07 AM Re: Genos & Accordion Spanish Eyes... [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
The arranger at least allows this guy to make music, without any right hand fingers!

#442898 - 12/20/17 12:46 PM Re: Genos & Accordion Spanish Eyes... [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Ditto, Don. I noticed that he had a hook for a right hand, covered it with a white sock and was still able to do some slide effects with his hook. That alone is one Hell of an accomplishment.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#442900 - 12/20/17 01:04 PM Re: Genos & Accordion Spanish Eyes... [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Gotta admit, I watched this on a small laptop and didn't enlarge the video, so I didn't even notice the prosthetic. Obviously, in light of that, I'm a little embarrassed by some of the things I said as that throws a completely different light on things. Sorry.

chas

#442904 - 12/20/17 01:29 PM Re: Genos & Accordion Spanish Eyes... [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I knew you didn't notice it Chas, you're a good guy! smile

#442914 - 12/20/17 03:00 PM Re: Genos & Accordion Spanish Eyes... [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I kinda figured that, Chas. Thought you may have watched it on your I-phone.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#442915 - 12/20/17 03:54 PM Re: Genos & Accordion Spanish Eyes... [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Well thanks guys, for being understanding. Clearly I'm embarrassed and regretful. But Gary, I-PHONE!!! Pe-leeze, you know how I feel about Apple. The I-phone is the GENOS of the smartphone world (as in unconscionably overpriced and burdened with proprietary everything). (If THAT doesn't start a war, nothing will smile ).

chas

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online