SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#442580 - 12/15/17 09:29 PM who uses their arranger with a keyboard amp?
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
I remember when I first played the PA3x in a Sam Ash store. Someone came over from the other side of the store to "hear where all the music was coming from." As I recall, it was connected to a very large combo amp, and.....it WAS a BIG sound.

Last year, I did an accordion performance in another Sam Ash store. They hooked me up to a huge JBL speaker. When I started playing, I almost fell off my seat at the difference in volume and power from the EV PA system I use now.

That got me thinking. Do any of you who use combo amps find the sound is thicker, more powerful, more believable? I use a BK bass amp on my Roland arranger and even that small amp sounds much bigger and fuller than my EV's.

When I put the arranger through my EV system it sounds to me very "thin." I keep thinking back to that first time I played the PA3x in SA. My EV speakers sound limp compared to what Sam Ash had it plugged into.

I also remember shopping for a powered mixer. Went through every single amp in the store and not impressed. The last amp I tried was a Dynacord powered mixer (made by a German manufacturer). What a huge difference in sound. Bought it right on the spot.

So what you're playing through DOES make a difference! My goal is to add more "punch" to the drums on the PA3x without going into software packages (Dynamix, etc).

#442589 - 12/16/17 05:24 AM Re: who uses their arranger with a keyboard amp? [Re: Mark79100]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
I have a Traynor K4 which sounds great on practically everything (including guitar) but weighs as much as a mack truck. In case you're unfamiliar, it's a stereo keyboard amp with tube (preamp) on one channel.

Don't know what kind of EV system you were using but I use two SXA250's and they sound anything BUT thin.

chas

#442601 - 12/16/17 08:47 AM Re: who uses their arranger with a keyboard amp? [Re: Mark79100]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
When I first began performing with an arranger keyboard I purchased a monster Peavey KB300 keyboard amp. Then I went to the KB500, which weighed nearly 100 pounds. I later lightened the load with a Peavey 600-watt powered mixer/amp and a pair of SP5G speakers on stands. The speakers weighed about 70 pounds each. I kept lightening the load for the next two decades and finally got to the Bose L1 Compacts and loved life at just 23 pounds and fantastic sound.

Good luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#442614 - 12/16/17 02:05 PM Re: who uses their arranger with a keyboard amp? [Re: Mark79100]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Gary, funny you mentioned the KB500. I bought two with the upgraded 15 inch speakers(Scorpion?) around 1983. I put wheels on them finally. I still have one at my band for a visiting bass player.

#442617 - 12/16/17 03:11 PM Re: who uses their arranger with a keyboard amp? [Re: Bernie9]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By Bernie9
Gary, funny you mentioned the KB500. I bought two with the upgraded 15 inch speakers(Scorpion?) around 1983. I put wheels on them finally. I still have one at my band for a visiting bass player.

I think the upgrade was Black Widow speakers.

#442620 - 12/16/17 04:35 PM Re: who uses their arranger with a keyboard amp? [Re: Mark79100]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Yep, that was the upgrade, which I had. Awesome, but distorted at higher volumes. When I switched to the Barbetta Sona 32SC I thought the sound was the best I had ever heard at the time. Used them until UD showed me the light with his Bose L1 PAS that Fran and I heard for the first time in an Italian restaurant in Philadelphia where Dave was playing. I ordered one the following day and put the Barbettas up for sale the following week when the Bose arrived.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#442631 - 12/17/17 01:25 AM Re: who uses their arranger with a keyboard amp? [Re: Mark79100]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I think the upgrade was Black Widow speakers

Thanks Fran. I knew it was an insect of some kind.

#442635 - 12/17/17 02:43 AM Re: who uses their arranger with a keyboard amp? [Re: Mark79100]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I started with one Roland 12” keyboard speaker. Later I added a second one. My next step was using two EV 10’ powered speakers on poles. Clear, not much bottom. Then to a pair of Eon 10” powered speakers on poles.
This was my best set up until I bought the Bose compact.
If I stayed in the game I would a second Bose, mostly for the look. (smile)

John C.
PS, I was told that 10” powered speakers give you more bottom than 12” powered speakers. Against my logic but after testing both set ups I have to agree.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online