SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#442689 - 12/17/17 05:35 PM Re: Why do I need a 5k Genos When I can....... [Re: Dnj]
Mikem Offline

Loc: Quebec, Canada

These are old videos, but the BK-7m sounds pretty good. It doesn't sound "toyish" like some other low-end keyboards. This YouTube channel has lots of videos on the BK-7m. These are just a couple to get you started:

LATIN STYLES - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSaSZa7M...t=TLswUh0LffxzU

JAZZ/BLUES STYLES - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnEjdWUPizQ

Years ago, Roland was working on the successor to the G-70, but it never saw the light of day. Its research and technology however, went into the BK-7m. I think you'll agree, that for its low price, it sounds very good....except for its acoustic guitars, of course. Roland, in my opinion, never had good acoustic guitars. Not even in the Integra-7 module, or the Jupiter-80. It does have a "live" sound, though, like many prefer.

#442851 - 12/19/17 09:23 PM Re: Why do I need a 5k Genos When I can....... [Re: Dnj]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By Dnj
I wish I had half the talent of Ralf Schink,..... he is a master player and makes Roland keyboards shine every time,

Donnie.....at the risk of bursting your bubble, I looked up a couple of his video's. He doesn't impress me that much. On this video, he needs to read Don's commandment #1 (embrace silence). I never heard a sax player hold his notes that long.

I actually don't think much of most demonstrators. Don't get me wrong, I see fine players, but I see almost no creativity, especially with the piano demos, of which I'm sick of hearing by now.

The art of demonstrating is sadly lacking in individuality. Each demo-er sounds like the next. With what modern keyboards can do nowadays, it's a sin they don't come up with clever ideas instead of just their playing skills.

I DO like listening to Jurgen Sartorius and this Tony from Bonners Music in the UK. Jurgen is exciting and Tony just plain does great demos with the different instruments on different keyboards. Mostly I like listening to Jurgen. He REALLY can play just about anything and make it all sound danceable. He either wrote those Ten Commandments of Music or he reads them every day!

#442852 - 12/19/17 09:42 PM Re: Why do I need a 5k Genos When I can....... [Re: Dnj]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
For the record, I've always been a Roland man. Like a lot of you, I was also around when the first arrangers came out. I stuck with Roland for years because of their fantastic and realistic styles. I think they spend just as much time developing great dance styles as they do on the architecture of their keyboards.

I've played (not owned) almost all of them as they came out one by one. I can't remember hardly any that didn't shine on the styles. For me, the style has to really "move" me in some way for me to want to use it. The stupidest style I've ever heard is on my PA3x......the one in 6/8 time. I like playing marches, Irish Jigs, tarantellas, etc.....that style sounds like an organ grinder in a carnival.

And that G70....I played it for hours in the store. They had to tear it away from me. I would have bought it on the spot if it wasn't so heavy.

Roland might or might not be on a level with the other TOTL keyboards but their styles are outstanding in my opinion if you want more than your standard dance music, 4/4 C&W. sluggish waltz's, etc

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online