Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#442484 - 12/14/17 12:20 PM Genos/PA4X Uploaded today
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri

#442486 - 12/14/17 12:29 PM Re: Genos/PA4X Uploaded today [Re: guitpic1]
W Tracy Parnell Offline

Loc: NY
Both sound great and too close to call IMO. Therefore the Korg, with its lower price, wins. I would like to hear a style comparison.

#442488 - 12/14/17 12:41 PM Re: Genos/PA4X Uploaded today [Re: guitpic1]
124 Offline

Bang for the buck? Korg - depending on where one's individual 'bang' is perceived to be, of course.

#442490 - 12/14/17 01:01 PM Re: Genos/PA4X Uploaded today [Re: guitpic1]
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Both are sounding great, but Genos made me feel I was in a "Hall" and Korg gave me the more intimate "Room" feeling.
There are differences in sound, and so it should be.
It's two different beasts to fit different taste.
Looking at the huge pricegap, at least here in Norway, Korg wins by 25% less money to use.
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#442491 - 12/14/17 01:26 PM Re: Genos/PA4X Uploaded today [Re: guitpic1]
Dnj Offline

KORG hands down winner!

In a mix the korg shines as a live band sound less compression a more open sound all around...Imo

Edited by Dnj (12/14/17 07:30 PM)

#442502 - 12/14/17 04:19 PM Re: Genos/PA4X Uploaded today [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
It's all about personal preference ...

#442505 - 12/14/17 04:39 PM Re: Genos/PA4X Uploaded today [Re: guitpic1]
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
I listened to the demo on my JBL LSR 2328P studio monitors hooked up to my office computer and although the Korg Piano is comparable in quality to the Genos CFX Grand Piano for the most part the other instrument sounds I think the Genos win hands down in my humble opinion except perhaps that particular theater organ voice which sounds better on the Korg.

The Genos has a fuller, richer sound if you listen closely on a good set of speakers. I'll listen to the demo again on my Mackie HR8mk2 speakers which will give me a more accurate representation since the Mackie's have an even flatter frequency response. The Korg is of course $1,500 less in price than the Genos but you can acquire a Genos for quite a bit less then the MAP price if you search around so the price disparity is not that great if you in fact get a great deal on a Genos.

Now the Korg Pa4x is also a great sounding arranger make no mistake. And please understand I'm trying to be unbiased in my critique of both keyboards. Either keyboard would be a great choice but Yamaha's claim that the Genos is the most advanced sounding arranger to date is a credible statement or else Yamaha would not have made such a claim. Yamaha Japan probably did a side by side comparison of both keyboards before releasing the Genos to the public in order to verify their claim. I think the Korg excels in B3 organ emulation although the Genos B3 sound is definitely an improvement over the Tyros 5. To each his own I reckon. I see Donny thinks the Korg wins hands down and yes everybody is entitled to their own opinion. cool

All the best,

Mike

Edited by keybplayer (12/14/17 04:40 PM)

#442507 - 12/14/17 04:51 PM Re: Genos/PA4X Uploaded today [Re: keybplayer]
jingleman Offline

Loc: The Villages, FL, USA
So Mike...when are you jumpin’ back in?

#442509 - 12/14/17 06:15 PM Re: Genos/PA4X Uploaded today [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I gotta agree with Mike.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#442514 - 12/14/17 10:03 PM Re: Genos/PA4X Uploaded today [Re: Dnj]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
KORG hands down winner!

In a mix the korg shines as a live band sound less compression a more open sound all around...Imo

let wait till we hear the Styles Demo AC Hammilton surely will post soon. I think thats where Genos made the biggest jump forward.

very close, some hits for Yamaha, some hits for Korg.. But when it comes to an arranger, a style comparison says more then single sound comparison.. so waiting for that. In the end you cant go wrong with any of these 2 where it comes to the sound.

Which might make the PA4x a better choice, with all its direct access buttons and incredible deep editable sound engine for people that like to do more then just play. Yamaha's ensemble feature tough is out of this world.

In the end, listening to both these instruments on my headset, i think i slightly prefer the Genos sound overall, in some of the sounds there just seems to be a bit more detail in underlaying layers.

Now let wait for the styles comparrison thats where i allways prefered Korg, but having heared the genos live, that could be a different game now.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#442517 - 12/14/17 11:57 PM Re: Genos/PA4X Uploaded today [Re: guitpic1]
Kabinopus Offline

Loc: Russia
I must say that Steel Guitar and Flute sounds in this demo did not show Korg to me as an expensive keyboard. Just not so pleasant and realistic as Yamaha's are. This is already too essential to me. Although I would love if liked Korg better, there's no reason for me right now to be overly loyal to any brand.

#442518 - 12/15/17 12:18 AM Re: Genos/PA4X Uploaded today [Re: jingleman]
keybplayer Offline

Originally Posted By jingleman
So Mike...when are you jumpin’ back in?

Funny you say that. It just so happens that a Guitar Center near me received another Genos on Wednesday. I called and they gave me the same deal as they did with my previous Genos so I took the plunge again. cool This time, however, I disabled the Auto Power Off feature until Yamaha can convince me they will address the issue and provide a fix if indeed the problem I encountered affects other Genos owners as well. My experience could have been an anomaly although I suspect the problem may be on a wider scale. Only time will tell.

All the best,

Mike

#442519 - 12/15/17 12:21 AM Re: Genos/PA4X Uploaded today [Re: guitpic1]
keybplayer Offline

Here is another video featuring the pianos, organs and accordions of the Genos. Notice if you will the better theater organ voices in this video. In the hands of a skilled player the Genos really shines needless to say.

All the best,

Mike

#442520 - 12/15/17 12:49 AM Re: Genos/PA4X Uploaded today [Re: guitpic1]
keybplayer Offline

Here's another sampling of strings, acoustic guitars, woodwinds, brass, pads, and others. The sounds on the Genos remind me of the Montage only better in many cases. At least to my ears anyway. wink

All the best,

Mike

#442521 - 12/15/17 01:18 AM Re: Genos/PA4X Uploaded today [Re: guitpic1]
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
Many years ago I had a a proper synthesizer - Ensoniq SD1 - with full sound edit capability. However the preset sounds were pretty good, the only Sound I created was a very punchy brass voice to let me do big hits in "New York, New York".

My point is this - for those of us playing mainstream covers - how often do we need to edit voices? No argument that the Yamaha voice editor is not in the same league as Korg, but to what proportion of the market is this difference significant?

#442523 - 12/15/17 02:38 AM Re: Genos/PA4X Uploaded today [Re: guitpic1]
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
I did not hear a nearly £1000 price difference in terms of sound quality 🤓. The Yamaha sounded brighter in almost every sound category from the piano to the brass . that the use

I don’t know if it’s deliberate by Yamaha but I prefer the softer warmer sounds of the Korg .

In alive setting I would bet it would be very difficult to tell the difference between sound quality of these instruments .

I am biased however as I use all the Creative and sonic features of my instrument and therefore I would feel restricted on the Yamaha.

#442527 - 12/15/17 05:39 AM Re: Genos/PA4X Uploaded today [Re: guitpic1]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Unless you know the external sound systems and recorders used, these types of online demos are wastes of time, as unless you have the same external equipment you will never get it to sound like the demo.

The best demos are those that are recorded direct from the instrument to the camera, or recorded using the on-board recorder and then synced to the video, that way you know exactly what can be achieved by any user.

Bill

#442531 - 12/15/17 06:50 AM Re: Genos/PA4X Uploaded today [Re: abacus]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By abacus
Unless you know the external sound systems and recorders used, these types of online demos are wastes of time, as unless you have the same external equipment you will never get it to sound like the demo.

The best demos are those that are recorded direct from the instrument to the camera, or recorded using the on-board recorder and then synced to the video, that way you know exactly what can be achieved by any user.

Bill

enjoy what you play......

Edited by Dnj (12/15/17 09:10 AM)

#442534 - 12/15/17 07:47 AM Re: Genos/PA4X Uploaded today [Re: abacus]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri

Bill

I asked about how the recording was done...on the YouTube website. ACHamilton described what they did in their reply. Look at Rlee comment.

#442535 - 12/15/17 08:49 AM Re: Genos/PA4X Uploaded today [Re: guitpic1]
W Tracy Parnell Offline

Loc: NY
Originally Posted By guitpic1

Bill

I asked about how the recording was done...on the YouTube website. ACHamilton described what they did in their reply. Look at Rlee comment.

To save time, here is what AC Hamilton said:

Both machines were recorded through a Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 interface. Every effort was made to match levels as best as possible, but of course playing dynamics can vary slightly in any performance. No post-production editing was added to any of the recordings other than matching slight differences in levels, and then normalising the audio on export. No EQ, Compression etc on either Keyboard or post-production. Thanks.

Edited by W Tracy Parnell (12/15/17 08:49 AM)

#442536 - 12/15/17 09:32 AM Re: Genos/PA4X Uploaded today [Re: guitpic1]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I tried to listen with an open mind, and actually found myself preferring the Korg sounds, with the exception of the guitars. Korg guitars are really nice, and can most likely be shaped to sound even better, but Yamaha seems to do more with the presets, making editing unnecessary.
As mentioned, there isn't enough difference to get excited over; the real test would be the sound of the styles.

#442537 - 12/15/17 09:54 AM Re: Genos/PA4X Uploaded today [Re: guitpic1]
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
I have to definitely agree w/Don! With a few exceptions, both instruments sound great to my ears. And when you consider the level of "listening" that most audiences lend, yikes.... doubt anyone would note the differences in sounds.

With respect to styles though, there will likely definitely be some noticeable diffs there. Puts us back to a question of preference again. I am very happy w/both Yammie and Korg on my team and I love them both for what they do differently. I am waiting to see how some of the new converted Genos styles might sound on my S970 and hoping for the best in that department.

Thanks for posting the video - two great boards for sure!

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#442544 - 12/15/17 12:28 PM Re: Genos/PA4X Uploaded today [Re: guitpic1]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Playing a Genos is believing, I got to demo one side by side at Frankieve’s store the You Tube demos get the point across and they are both outstanding boards, it’s tough to make a decision one over the other. I particularly liked on the Genos the Resonator Guitar and the Pedal Steel. Nothing like the twang you can get with the Resanator Guitar. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. No bad choices just personal preferences as we all know.

#442547 - 12/15/17 12:38 PM Re: Genos/PA4X Uploaded today [Re: guitpic1]
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
Brother Steve - for sure! I'd probably already have a Genos if they came w/61 keys.... maybe the next round of PSR siblings will include some of the new niceties!

Stay out of the snow up there!

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#442555 - 12/15/17 01:25 PM Re: Genos/PA4X Uploaded today [Re: Stephenm52]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By Stephenm52
No bad choices just personal preferences

Words to live by.

chas

#442564 - 12/15/17 04:06 PM Re: Genos/PA4X Uploaded today [Re: cgiles]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
smile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >