SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#441925 - 12/05/17 06:01 AM Re: O.T. My smartphone is WAYYyyyy smarter than me [Re: cgiles]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I'm firmly in the Android camp. My wife has I phone and I like mine a lot better. I have replaceable battery, memory card, etc. I don't like being tied to Apple apps and OS. She loves hers though.

#441926 - 12/05/17 06:40 AM Re: O.T. My smartphone is WAYYyyyy smarter than me [Re: cgiles]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
I’ll admit it I’m a hopeless Apple fan boy. Got way more Apple equipment than i care to admit.

#441927 - 12/05/17 06:48 AM Re: O.T. My smartphone is WAYYyyyy smarter than me [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Apple is God's way of telling you you've got too much money smile.

chas

#441930 - 12/05/17 08:09 AM Re: O.T. My smartphone is WAYYyyyy smarter than me [Re: cgiles]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
smile

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#441955 - 12/05/17 08:55 PM Re: O.T. My smartphone is WAYYyyyy smarter than me [Re: J. Larry]
Mark79100 Offline

Originally Posted By J. Larry
Don’t use but a fraction of what my arrangers will do. Just want to play songs, not struggle with manuals, fancy features, and tech stuff. Got a smart phone, but carry it only for emergencies. Most of the time the battery is depleted. Don’t use any of the communication/technology stuff on my car. It’s a distraction. Only want heat, air, radio, and the CD player. Never use cruise control. Who needs to get on the web while driving-----on the dash screen? Saw that feature the other day. I feel just fine with the status quo.

The story is wrong. There were actually FOUR wise men, not three. The FOURTH being J. Larry

#441957 - 12/05/17 09:14 PM Re: O.T. My smartphone is WAYYyyyy smarter than me [Re: cgiles]
Mark79100 Offline

I mean, how much info can the human brain hold? I'm still using XP Pro, about 15 years now, and still sometimes I can't even remember how to do a command I've been using for the longest time, I have a "reminder" program on my desktop computer that I need to remind me just to turn my cellphone on, a box of technology items in the next room and a stack of manuals on my desk that go with them waiting to be read, every time I attempt to learn my PA3x operating system, something comes up and I forget what I learned and have to start over again, bought a Windows 10 laptop and can't remember the password to get into it half the time. I had to set up a database to keep track of serial #'s of things I do buy, need to carry a GPS wherever I go so I remember how to get home, etc

I don't know how you all do it and still find time to write about it on the Synthzone?

#441964 - 12/06/17 05:00 AM Re: O.T. My smartphone is WAYYyyyy smarter than me [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Well I guess I'm somewhat in the J.Larry/Mark7900 camp. It's not that I'm anti-technology, it's that the whole world, especially the marketing world, assumes that EVERYONE is a sophisticated young millenial that grew up with cellphones and can't go from the kitchen to the bathroom without one in grabbing distance. They also assume that we need to know every single event that happens in the world (as it's happening) and be aware of every sales event in the universe (remember the good old days when most sales were just cheap furniture stores holding 'final going out of business' sales on Friday but then miraculously were back in business on Monday? Mark is right. When you need reminders to help you remember what to remember, you're probably overloading the old noodle.

I don't think the problem is that we're dumb; I think the problem is that as we get older, fewer (especially petty) things are important to us and so we tend to discard them to make more room for the REALLY important things in our ever-diminishing storage capacity (aka brain). As someone pointed out, our grandkids can absorb and master every function on a new phone in 30 minutes, and let's not even talk about today's video games (Playstation/Xbox,etc.). While they're excitedly showing me their latest video game, I smile and try not to give away the fact that I have no idea what the heck is going on smile. OK, maybe I AM dumb smile.

Oh well, time to wake up my phone and check my appointments; oh wait, I don't have any. Why is this thing vibrating? Oh, it's Amazon notifying me of something I browsed a week ago that might be worth another look. REALLY! I think I'm going to get a flip phone for actual use, you know, in case I need to like, make a phone call. I'll keep the Galaxy Note 8 (turned off) for show though, 'cause appearances are important.

chas

#441970 - 12/06/17 06:47 AM Re: O.T. My smartphone is WAYYyyyy smarter than me [Re: cgiles]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Chas...
Very good. This and so many of your posts are reminiscent of Dave Barry articles. Love 'em.
Eddie

#441972 - 12/06/17 07:03 AM Re: O.T. My smartphone is WAYYyyyy smarter than me [Re: cgiles]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Go to Settings, Notifications, and turn them off! If you can't follow that, have one of your grandkids do it for you! smile

#441982 - 12/06/17 08:09 AM Re: O.T. My smartphone is WAYYyyyy smarter than me [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Eddie, I LOVE Dave Barry. In fact, I've met him a couple of times back in the late 80's/early 90's. He's from my neck of the woods, West Chester, PA. He's a really funny observer of the human condition. BTW, thanks for recognizing when I'm serious and when I'm just exaggerating for the sake of humor.

chas

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online