Okay, why bring up smartphones on an arranger forum? Well, I see a lot of parallels.

My son upgraded his Galaxy Note 5 to a Galaxy Note 8 and liked it so much that he decided to gift ME with one....big mistake. I was quite happy with my ZTE something or other and after two years had finally learned how use about 25% of it's features and capabilities. Now I'm an engineer by training with a background in computers and all kinds of very sophisticated avionics (aviation electronics) and I'm not (too) dumb, I don't think, just OLD. There will be those here that disagree with me but, trust me, the older you get, the harder it is to learn new things (especially concepts). Well, I've had this thing about two weeks now, studied the manual over and over again, and watched dozens of YouTube 'how to' videos. So far I'm able to make and receive calls successfully (60% of the time). During the upcoming month, I will be learning how to text on this thing.

The point is, so many of the things we buy (or lust after) are complete and total overkill. The 'must have' features that seem so good on paper turn out to be so complex that only a small percentage of us ever use them (or even LEARN how to use them). This applies to Arranger buyers even more than phone buyers. So is an $800.00 phone going to make your communications skills any better (than a $39 flip-phone)? Your conversations more interesting? Correct your spelling (text) or improve your grammar (speech/text)? Probably to the same degree that a new arranger is going to improve your playing skills.

Now I'm not knocking getting a sparkling new arranger; heck, I smile a little when some tech geek smiles and makes a favorable comment about my new Note 8. There's always that 'pride of ownership', but in terms or real-world practicality, GETOUTTAHERE. Now let's see, how do I get a dial-tone out of this thing?

smile

chas