SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#4443 - 10/17/02 11:01 PM Re: What a waste of money!
Jiddu Offline

Loc: Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by Cloakboy:
Western Digital and Maxtor are about tied at around 15%, and Seagate is slightly lower. However, some people have had Seagate drives literally catch on fire.

Each hard drive manufacture has it's ups and downs, really. The one on top this year might be on the bottom last year.

heh man I'd like to see a flaming hard drive ( not my own of course ).. I caught something about seagate being behind WD and Maxtor for HDD recording because of a smaller writeback buffer than their competitors..

PS I heard that.. dont pinch my nads.
PPS dont comment on my ps. thankyou.

[This message has been edited by Jiddu (edited 10-17-2002).]

#4444 - 10/18/02 02:23 AM Re: What a waste of money!
Cloakboy Offline

Loc: Racine, Wisconsin USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Jiddu:
heh man I'd like to see a flaming hard drive ( not my own of course ).. I caught something about seagate being behind WD and Maxtor for HDD recording because of a smaller writeback buffer than their competitors..
[This message has been edited by Jiddu (edited 10-17-2002).]

Yes, Seagate drives are slower than equivalent Maxtor and WD drives, that is to say if Maxtor's and WD's 7200RPM drives have an 8.4ms read/write time, Seagate's 7200RPM drives have an 8.9ms read/write time. However, they have a reputation for being quieter and more reliable.

At the time I bought my hard drives, first an IBM 60GXP (came out after the 75GXP, a bit more reliable, but still known to crash and burn *not literally burn*) then my Seagate Barracuda IV, they were both considered "the best" by techies at the time. Within 2 months of buying the IBM drives, all the nerds were complaining about how unreliable they were, though statistically they weren't as bad as the 75GXP series. Within 2 months of buying the Barracuda IV, WD's Special Edition series came out and those seem to be the cat's jammies lately.

So in other words, **** it. Let the tech nerds argue over which computer peripherals are best. I spent a few months following "the buzz" and all it got me was a sub-par mobo and an IBM drive that may crash on me one day. *knocks on wood*

But the reason I posted was to say avoid IBM hard drives. They once were the best, but lately (past two years) things have gotten sketchy.

#4445 - 10/18/02 08:09 AM Re: What a waste of money!
tekminus Offline

I have a 60GXP. How do you back up 14GB of movies in a convenient way? I've had the drive for a year in november, I quess it's all downhill from now on..

-tek

edit: no typo here, YUO LIAIR!!S

[This message has been edited by tekminus (edited 10-18-2002).]

#4446 - 10/18/02 01:07 PM Re: What a waste of money!
Cloakboy Offline

Loc: Racine, Wisconsin USA
Tek,

if your 60GXP drive starts making a scraping sound, get a new one, otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.

If it does die on you, take it out and put it in a freezer. This is a trick I picked up by reading around. Once you get a new drive, take it out of the freezer, pop it in and back up everything. It supposedly works only once.

I've had mine for over a year now and it seems fine, but sometimes odd things do happen with it.

#4447 - 10/19/02 12:37 AM Re: What a waste of money!
MRT1212 Offline

Loc: Foster City
i have an IBM deskstar 60gxp and its failed twice. luckily its my OS drive and not the audio/midi file drive. also lucky for me i have a backup of the drive on CD after everything was installed.

#4448 - 10/23/02 02:46 PM Re: What a waste of money!
aj Offline

Loc: new zealand
eeeek all my HD's are seagate 7200 rpm barracudas (ata100 IDE) 2x20s and a 40 (Gb) one of the 20s just came up with bad sectors during a routine defrag it was only 2 years old so I checked the serial on the website and they confirmed it was still under its 3yr international warranty (I bought it whilst on holiday in singapore)I sent it away and got a new one Loverly ! (and I managed to get all the data of too (except a 1 minute guitar track that I hated any way).My 2cents which is sooooo of topic now .

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online