SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#4433 - 10/01/02 12:43 PM Re: What a waste of money!
tekminus Offline

Also, Microsoft doesn't sell through marketing, they do it through monopoly.

#4434 - 10/01/02 11:01 PM Re: What a waste of money!
S0C9 Offline

Loc: NRH, TX, USA
tekminus,
sorry wasn't trying to open the MS can-o-worms, it was the first thing that came to mind... poor choice as you are right on the money re:monopoly...

Steve

#4435 - 10/04/02 12:01 AM Re: What a waste of money!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi TIME FOR A COMMERCIAL BREAK...Have a napkin with those fish & chips...wups, better hurry or the grease that's running down your arm will drip off your elbow, yeah? so you say you didn't even feel it? OK, that's better now...

Dammit guys*, -tek's right again. Gotta give credit where credit is due. Mixing realtime live, aiff, wav, raw, or whatever audio signal with MIDI sound is N.G.(period!).

Really the best way to work a controlled sequence into a piece is to take the part and FIRST CREATE AN AUDIO FILE WITH IT BEFORE working it into your material. Even all the grease of XG plus the fish & chips will not allow a truly smooth and natural blending of the two. MIDI sound is not final show sound, however it is used more and more at intermissions for instance... a commercial break. People are more concerned about the napkins for the grease running down their arm rather than the backround loop that is playing while the curtain is closed. The only time I believe a MIDI file is a finished product is if that is the end format that is desired. eg. a PC game like Kingpin or the likeness of which uses MIDI for sound. mid files are an alternative to wav files yet they come with their own bucket of problems too!

*& ladies when applicable
COMMENT TO ORIGINAL POSTING: Push the reset button, throw everything away and begin with a Fisher Price Close & Play, do not allow pet to chew on line cord.

#4436 - 10/04/02 12:27 AM Re: What a waste of money!
Soft Machine Offline

Ahh man

all those years of spending $$$ on drugs

was that a waste?

#4437 - 10/04/02 09:58 AM Re: What a waste of money!
tekminus Offline

No, but using them yourself, instead of selling with a nice profit margin was a waste

Next time eh?

-tek

PS. I've got a massive undertaking tonight. You see, I got me a laptop yesterday and today I went for wireless LAN shopping. There's boxes everywhere and I'm running out of mains.
BAH!

#4438 - 10/04/02 11:40 AM Re: What a waste of money!
MRT1212 Offline

Loc: Foster City
tek is right selling drugs is where its at

#4439 - 10/09/02 02:36 PM Re: What a waste of money!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Laptop -tek? cool. What did you pick up? Sony? Hey do you still have the SH-5? (shh, I know not too loud.) I still have my 7 but have not used it much lately. So whadya get? For non-musical (i figure since you have X-trancieve LAN) or maybe to push MIDI sigs. as well?

Pete . . . er i mean MORPH!

#4440 - 10/09/02 07:56 PM Re: What a waste of money!
tekminus Offline

It's an IBM R32. I got it through a rental deal at work. I'm bothered by the low rpm on the HD (high seek times etc too), but I quess I won't do any HD-recording on it. I'll get an audio interface as soon as I can afford it, since I will re-organize my whole studio around this now, and leave the old AMD for other tasks. I also got the T750 17" TFT screen and port replicator with a travel mouse and keyboard. The T750 is awesome

edit: Yeah I still have the SH-5 and use it alot. I often run things through it. If you let the LFOs trigger the envelopes, you can get some awesome distortion out of it.

-tek

[This message has been edited by tekminus (edited 10-09-2002).]

#4441 - 10/17/02 04:05 AM Re: What a waste of money!
Anonymous
Unregistered

It's just as well when it comes to HDD recording. I can't tell you how many UDMA drives I've toasted. On the other hand IBM make excellent drives if not the best. I use a big tube monitor and it gets to me after a while

MORPH!

#4442 - 10/17/02 10:49 PM Re: What a waste of money!
Cloakboy Offline

Loc: Racine, Wisconsin USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Morphamatik:
It's just as well when it comes to HDD recording. I can't tell you how many UDMA drives I've toasted. On the other hand IBM make excellent drives if not the best.

Ehhh... IBM actually has the highest failure rate, which is thanks to the 75GXP Deskstar series (nicknamed "DeathStar")... up around 30% failure rate. Western Digital and Maxtor are about tied at around 15%, and Seagate is slightly lower. However, some people have had Seagate drives literally catch on fire.

Each hard drive manufacture has it's ups and downs, really. The one on top this year might be on the bottom last year.

Aside from that, IBM's 120GXP Deskstar series was heavily marketed as a perfect hard drive for webservers. Within a week of its release, IBM sent out a press release saying it's best not to leave the 120GXP series on for more than 8 hours at a time. I remember reading somewhere that IBM is going to quit making hard drives soon.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online