SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#4423 - 09/15/02 05:50 AM Re: What a waste of money!
tekminus Offline

Just don't leave thinking a Soundblaster Value has the same latency capabilities of a higher end dsp card. Latency is one of the most common reasons to get a semi-pro card. Anyone who thinks of buying a decent card should demand atleast one left and one right output. You don't buy a $250-$1000 card with a single stereo mini-plug.

Don't let people think you can get better recording results with a SB card, just because you lack the knowledge. This forum is or used to be full of latency questions. Alot of the times people were using gaming soundcards.

Years ago I used to hook up two BOSS MA-12 powered speakers to my SB with the help of a cable-adapter. One stereo out to two line inputs.

-tek

#4424 - 09/15/02 10:30 AM Re: What a waste of money!
Cloakboy Offline

Loc: Racine, Wisconsin USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Equalizer:
[B]You can indeed get cheap pre amps, but according to all sources, there is a noticable difference between a cheapo pre amp and a non cheapo. The pre amps that I was thinking of getting were made by companies like midiman and if you check out the prices you'll find that they're more or less the same price as my Beringer mixer was.
[B]

I realize that this is long before the fact, but I find it funny that you use this line of reasoning on preamps after your rant about soundcards.

#4425 - 09/15/02 01:23 PM Re: What a waste of money!
Equalizer Offline

Loc: Scotland
Look guys, I'm very flattered that you all think this topic that I started is amazing, but there comes a point when you've got to blow the whistle and let go.

Tek- I know all about latency- when I was at uni raised my rent money by teaching people Cubase. If I never knew about latency I would've been found out years ago. Since leaving Uni I now earn a living making up jingles for companies using synths and computers. It's hardly world fame, but at least it involves doing something I feel passionate about- making music. For the past 4 years I've averaged at 8-14 hours per day working with synths (usually soft synths at that). I appologise for this slightly childish macho tone, but I'm getting a bit pissed off at people assuming that I know nothing, just because I don't think pro audio cards are worth the hype.

As far as latency goes... I can live with it, cos I have no intentions of dragging my computer on stage and playing a soft synth in a live situation. Well, not at this point in time anyway.

Tek- literally millions of dollars have been spent getting people like you to think and respond the way you have. The power of advertising and hype never ceases to amaze me!

I mean, just think about it!- a guy comes on the forum saying that in his opinion he doesn't think expensive sound cards are worth the hype and all of a sudden you and your hen-house cronies start acting like a bunch of poncy hairdressers and talking to me as if I must be either clueless or crazy.

It sickens me to scroll through this thread and see responses like,

"Sounds like you have too much money and not enough of a clue as to what you're doing."

followed by some shitkicking, lowlife sheep saying,

"ouch.....Low Blow Cloakboy!!
...but funny...."

Gimme a break!

#4426 - 09/15/02 01:58 PM Re: What a waste of money!
Cloakboy Offline

Loc: Racine, Wisconsin USA
tek, I think we hurt his feelings.

#4427 - 09/15/02 02:15 PM Re: What a waste of money!
tekminus Offline

Those millions of dollars on advertising must've gone to waste on me because I'm using an Akai DPS12.

-tek

#4428 - 09/15/02 04:51 PM Re: What a waste of money!
Equalizer Offline

Loc: Scotland
Isn't it great how we can all laugh amongst ourselves like this?

Anyone else reading this thread would probably think we were serious!

#4429 - 09/15/02 05:18 PM Re: What a waste of money!
aj Offline

Loc: new zealand
Equalizer I know you want this to lay down and die but consider this.You have had lots of experience right ?? so you're recording process or the method you use must be tried and tested .those of us that came from the nasty old 4track cassette days (or all tape for that matter) all had to deal with a variing amount of tape hiss and background noise which we fought with a hotter signal.
I went from a sb16 (ISA to !!)to a Lexicon Card (incidently I did 3 Radio ads on the SB16)and the main thing I've noticed is how Lazy you can be with your recording process .the noise floor is so low (-98db) you dont need so much signal ,heck if I cant be stuffed getting out the desk I just record my bass guitar straight into the Audiocard and normalise the file.Obviously there was also a huge sound quality improvement as well ,but perhaps in your case the sound quality was more subtle.Sorry again to dredge this up again,and no one has too much money !!

#4430 - 09/30/02 04:41 PM Re: What a waste of money!
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
Equalizer,

I read your post and I hope you get better results in the future.

I believe it is very important that you list the equipment that you are using.

What mixer? What soundcard? What mic? and what cubase version? What monitors?

Without listing all of this, it is very hard to truly evaluate your situation.

You may need simply an upgrade for one device only. or other constructive change in your setup. Please let me know. Thanks.

#4431 - 09/30/02 08:47 PM Re: What a waste of money!
S0C9 Offline

Loc: NRH, TX, USA
If you've ever had to record a guitar lead over some MIDI tracks using an SB16 - you definitely understand the term latency.

IMHO - there's a lot to be said for some of the higher end sound cards, soft synths, DXi, Recycle, samples and other computer based music products on the market. However.... one has to evaluate ones needs and follow the 80/20 rule.. you can get 80% of the results for 20% of the cost !!!

And I don't recall if it was Tekminus or Equlaizer that said it, but 99.99998% of the time I have taken something I have done [studio or live] and asked for a sound quality opinion from someone other than a sound engineer or other audiophile - they simply can't tell the difference between average, good or great !! They are conditioned to look for the hook. Other than something mastered to cassette tape using a cheap portable, battery operated device, they simply can't tell.....

Instrument definition, separation, phasing, effects and so on, generaly get lost on the average listener....

My point being that if you are happy with it and your sound guy/mentor is happy with it - there's little point in trying for that extra 20%....... no one other than you will be able to tell the difference !!

That's not to say one shouldn't strive for perfection, but at some point - be that based on budget, temperament or boredom - enuf is enuf.

Marketing folks make a living out of making hte perfect demo and making you go out and but that upgrade. It works.. just ask Microsoft !!!

Regards,
Steve

#4432 - 10/01/02 12:41 PM Re: What a waste of money!
tekminus Offline

Never mix MIDI and audio in the first place. No matter what card. Either do things audio only or MIDI only.

-tek

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online