SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#440919 - 11/16/17 07:56 AM cutest GOOD bass player I've seen.
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
https://youtu.be/fg2BS7H_dAU

Just because she LOVES playing. Wish I knew what she was laughing at!

#440920 - 11/16/17 08:17 AM Re: cutest GOOD bass player I've seen. [Re: Uncle Dave]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Okay, calm down Roy Moore....I mean, Uncle Dave smile smile. Yeah, she's got that sense of rhythm that's missing in so many people. Dave, you've been involved in music education a long time; do you think that's an 'innate' thing or can it be learned? I lean towards the former (probably one component of so-called 'musical talent').

chas

#440921 - 11/16/17 08:53 AM Re: cutest GOOD bass player I've seen. [Re: Uncle Dave]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#440923 - 11/16/17 09:31 AM Re: cutest GOOD bass player I've seen. [Re: travlin'easy]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Tai is the BOMB! I've seen her at NAMM several times!

R.

Edited by captain Russ (11/16/17 09:32 AM)

#440924 - 11/16/17 11:40 AM Re: cutest GOOD bass player I've seen. [Re: travlin'easy]
Uncle Dave Offline

Originally Posted By travlin'easy

I've seen her - she's great ... but where's the cute factor??? Where's the smiles!!!!

#440925 - 11/16/17 11:48 AM Re: cutest GOOD bass player I've seen. [Re: cgiles]
Uncle Dave Offline

Originally Posted By cgiles
do you think that's an 'innate' thing or can it be learned?

Chas, my experience in education has taught me that there are "lightbulb" moments in all areas of learning. Remember the drummer in "Mr Holland's Opus" who finally learned to FEEL the beat? People "get it" at different times. (or never) I think everyone can get to a point that's on a higher level, with proper training, and practice, but I agree with you ... the innate "feel" is hard, if not impossible to teach. Some untrained musicians just have it, and some well trained musicians will never have it. I think an audience reacts to the players energy, and as an audience member (in this case) I can feel her happy place when she plays, and I'm grateful for it. It doesn't hut that she's adorable, but the happy factor would show through even if she were not.

I've been blessed to have several dozen "lightbulb" moments with students over the years, and some have brought me to tears. I taught a 7th grader to play a guitar, who had never held one, and now he out plays me. He's a natural, and his hands are built to be wrapped around the neck of a guitar. He's one of my favorite graduates, and favorite humans, too.

Great question. Anyone else care to weigh in? Feel vs. technique ... does written music even HAVE any feel?
and ...... GO!

#440932 - 11/16/17 01:20 PM Re: cutest GOOD bass player I've seen. [Re: Uncle Dave]
travlin'easy Offline

Dave, I agree 100 percent. She seems to be loving every moment of the performance. She has that wow factor going for her, and unlike many of the trained musicians I've seen, she feels the rhythm. Many of the trained musicians I've encountered play very accurate chords and notes, but their music tends to be quite stilted, IMO.

All the best,

Gary cool

#440934 - 11/16/17 01:41 PM Re: cutest GOOD bass player I've seen. [Re: Uncle Dave]
captain Russ Offline

Victor Wooten smiles a lot, and he's kind of cute...does that count? Tai was really concentrating on a far more difficult passage, with lots of improvisation. Believe me, in person, she's really cute, sweet and a monster on bass.

The other girl is very good, but not nearly as advanced. The Wooten cover she did was note for note. Nothing wrong with that, but I can play it, and do often.

R.

#440935 - 11/16/17 01:54 PM Re: cutest GOOD bass player I've seen. [Re: cgiles]
captain Russ Offline

Dave, other than your questionable taste in women (just joking!), you nailed it on creativity, benchmark moments and the pure joy in being part of the moment a player "gets it".

I.too have known Masters and above level music graduates who just couldn't swing. I knew one who couldn't even count very well.

Look at Leonid and friends. Those Russian dudes can really swing, and all horn section players were reading charts.

I appreciate your dedication to good music and kids.

Oh, and all your Kentucky ladies say they put a little bit of their SS checks back each month to help pay that massive Starbucks bill you skipped out on.

Be well,

Russ

Edited by captain Russ (11/16/17 01:56 PM)

#440936 - 11/16/17 02:01 PM Re: cutest GOOD bass player I've seen. [Re: Uncle Dave]
cgiles Offline

I was just checking this one out. She appears to be a little older????....but still kicking butt.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZTxeeDyk1A

chas

#440937 - 11/16/17 02:03 PM Re: cutest GOOD bass player I've seen. [Re: Uncle Dave]
travlin'easy Offline

Good find, Chas. That gal can really swing!

Gary cool

#440939 - 11/16/17 02:08 PM Re: cutest GOOD bass player I've seen. [Re: Uncle Dave]
travlin'easy Offline

You might enjoy this one as well.

Enjoy,

Gary cool

#440940 - 11/16/17 02:12 PM Re: cutest GOOD bass player I've seen. [Re: cgiles]
captain Russ Offline

OK, ya got me with Jamiroquai...LOVE THAT GROOVE, and this young lady NAILED IT!.

Chas is right, she looks a little older, and plays significantly better!

Russ

#440992 - 11/17/17 06:44 AM Re: cutest GOOD bass player I've seen. [Re: captain Russ]
Uncle Dave Offline

Originally Posted By captain Russ
OK, ya got me with Jamiroquai...LOVE THAT GROOVE, and this young lady NAILED IT!.

Chas is right, she looks a little older, and plays significantly better!

Russ

Yup - I'm all over that stuff! LOVE those guys! I even love the name of the band. (not going to try to spell it)

#441003 - 11/17/17 08:48 AM Re: cutest GOOD bass player I've seen. [Re: Uncle Dave]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
The ability to swing or groove is a natural talent but I think the environment which one grows up in plays a huge factor. Just imagine if you were adopted as an infant by the Marsalis family. Having parents that were master musicians, a healthy musical sibling rivalry, and growing in musically rich community like New Orleans would greatly affect your groove. Sure, you wouldn’t the Marsalis “talent” genes but growing up in that kind environment sure wouldn’t hurt.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#441014 - 11/17/17 01:01 PM Re: cutest GOOD bass player I've seen. [Re: montunoman]
cgiles Offline

Originally Posted By montunoman
The ability to swing or groove is a natural talent but I think the environment which one grows up in plays a huge factor. Just imagine if you were adopted as an infant by the Marsalis family. Having parents that were master musicians, a healthy musical sibling rivalry, and growing in musically rich community like New Orleans would greatly affect your groove. Sure, you wouldn’t the Marsalis “talent” genes but growing up in that kind environment sure wouldn’t hurt.

I think you're right. Growing up in a musical environment where 'groove' ie. 'syncopated rhythms' is an integral (and common) part of the dominant music scene, is definately going to give you a leg up on playing certain types of music. I think this exists in predominately Black communities with it's heavy influences of Gospel, R&B, Blues, Rap, etc. I think it also exists in Latino communities, as some of the tightest, most rhythmic music I've ever heard were from groups like Santana which has always had the best rhythm section on the planet (even if it was augmented by the great Chester Thompson smile ). Even so, environment or not, when it's that good, as Montunoman says, some of it has got to be in the genes.

Disclaimer: You don't HAVE to be Black or Latino to have that 'grove gene'. There are millions of exceptions; this young lady is one of them. Interesting that she has chosen this genre' of music to display her talents (as opposed to say, Rock - although I'm sure she'd be 'killer' in any genre'.).

chas

#441017 - 11/17/17 02:53 PM Re: cutest GOOD bass player I've seen. [Re: Uncle Dave]
Dnj Offline

If you wanna see the "groove gene" just watch a dance floor full of people it's all out there and it ain't pretty.. some are great but others look like they were blindfolded, spun around 5 times fast, and then take off the blindfold and jump out on the dance floor just moving dizzy to their own beat never hearing the music at all,.....your born with it or without..not a bad thing just life!

Edited by Dnj (11/17/17 02:55 PM)

#441019 - 11/17/17 03:23 PM Re: cutest GOOD bass player I've seen. [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
If you wanna see the "groove gene" just watch a dance floor full of people it's all out there and it ain't pretty.. some are great but others look like they were blindfolded, spun around 5 times fast, and then take off the blindfold and jump out on the dance floor...

smile smile Now THAT'S funny.

chas

#441055 - 11/18/17 05:24 PM Re: cutest GOOD bass player I've seen. [Re: cgiles]
Uncle Dave Offline

Santana has always had the best rhythm section on the planet (even if it was augmented by the great Chester Thompson

Whom he STOLE from The venerable funk-masters from Oakland!!!!!!!
(Tower of Power for those of you, living under rocks) smile

#441118 - 11/20/17 01:14 AM Re: cutest GOOD bass player I've seen. [Re: captain Russ]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Tal has some very cute moments.

#441120 - 11/20/17 02:16 AM Re: cutest GOOD bass player I've seen. [Re: Uncle Dave]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
As good as she obviously is, she could enhance her stage presence immeasurably by getting rid of that sneer and having more "Cute Moments". OOH maybe hard rockers prefer that image.

#441124 - 11/20/17 04:50 AM Re: cutest GOOD bass player I've seen. [Re: Uncle Dave]
cgiles Offline

What some people see as a "sneer", others just see as being 'into' the music. A lot of musicians effect facial expressions while performing; they're just feeling the music, not trying to project an image (ever watch B.B. King?). I think we're getting way to picky about things that have little to do with talent. In general, the 'get off my lawn' crowd tends to be overly critical of their younger counterparts (as though we weren't exactly the same when we were their age smile ). She's cute AND she's talented; that's more than most of US can say. JMO.

chas

#441128 - 11/20/17 05:31 AM Re: cutest GOOD bass player I've seen. [Re: Uncle Dave]
cgiles Offline

Example of a musician with facial expressions while playing. Listen at least to the end of the first tune and tell me which you think is more important, a new Genos or a new music teacher smile. As has been stated many times before, it ain't the keyboard, it's the keyboardist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AJdSRIlDUg&sns=em

My guitar player sent me this clip of Joey as he is a friend of the guitarist in the clip. Not bad for a 60 yr.old 'electronic keyboard'. Damned thing does't even have a chord sequencer or a transpose button. Oh well.

chas

#441129 - 11/20/17 05:36 AM Re: cutest GOOD bass player I've seen. [Re: Uncle Dave]
Dnj Offline

alot of that so called facial stuff is fake,...as many that I see just "turn it on or off at will" the second the music starts or they are playing I'm sorry but it looks so phoney most times IMO..

#441138 - 11/20/17 08:35 AM Re: cutest GOOD bass player I've seen. [Re: cgiles]
Uncle Dave Offline

this clip of Joey

Joey D was at a wedding I played when he was about 10 yrs old, and his Dad came up and asked me if his son could sit in on my gear ... (solo act - might've been an early Roland E something .... EM2000, maybe?) Anyway - I asked him what he wanted to do, he said "Misty ... up, swing. Just give me a walking bass, organ and a drum beat" - WOW - even at 10, this kid could swing. Very cool memory. Wonder if he tells his friends that he played with Uncle Dave? (naw) smile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online