SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#440684 - 11/10/17 03:21 PM Arrangers are for experienced musicians
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
I taught at a local high school(ages 15 plus) today....a school I teach at two days or more a week. The last 20 minutes of the last class were slow. One of the students, a talented girl, asked if she could play guitar. I said sure and found her an acoustic from the music room.

She entertained us all with her pretty voice and basic acoustic guitar skills. She shared some songs she was writing. She did a great job and reminded me of songs I wrote years ago.

If she stays in music, I’m guessing she will be a part of many different bands and styles of music over the years.

It may take her a few years and lots of experience to actually ARRANGE her music.

That’s the thing with Arrangers. It takes skill and a few years of experience to actually arrange music to play for an audience.

For inexperienced(and some experienced) musicians, performing with an arranger is a challenge...because the performer has to arrange music and know what he/she wants.

It ain’t about the latest gimiky sounds...it’s about folks learnin* how to use, and having the experience to use an arranger.

Edited by guitpic1 (11/10/17 03:27 PM)

#440685 - 11/10/17 03:25 PM Re: Arrangers are for experienced musicians [Re: guitpic1]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
One other thing...

Performing with an arranger....

It’s really about how well the musician arranges and performs the music.

#440705 - 11/11/17 02:23 AM Re: Arrangers are for experienced musicians [Re: guitpic1]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
We know it, but unfortunately, the audience mainly thinks it a jukebox, and many pros look down at them as cheesy. I, for one, who has many years with arrangers, applauds your post.

#440706 - 11/11/17 04:16 AM Re: Arrangers are for experienced musicians [Re: guitpic1]
Tyrosman5 Offline

Well said and with friends who share music with me, I see the lack
of ability to arrange a piece of music. I believe that some people
have that ability naturally and others who do not have a tough
time doing this. Lloyd

#440713 - 11/11/17 05:59 AM Re: Arrangers are for experienced musicians [Re: Tyrosman5]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
The arranger keyboard is a tool. How you use the tool and to what depth you go is up to the individual. Where ever you are in your ability is more than acceptable.

In almost every area of our lives where we become experienced it is by trial, error and reading. The amount of desire is a determining factor. Will we all reach the same level? No. The desire to understand (how it works) is different in all of us.

Having said all of that it makes no difference where you are in your learning curve. How much are you enjoying your trip with the keyboard is by far a better question. We cannot all be the best, but we can enjoy.

Playing jobs: Ability plays a large roll here; but learning, application, and desire play an equal part. Our audiences fall into the same categories – Supper critical to “I could care less” Which means there is an audience for every one of us.

OK, off my soap box, John C.

#440716 - 11/11/17 06:54 AM Re: Arrangers are for experienced musicians [Re: guitpic1]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Your point is valid if an Arranger Keyboard is being used for performances. On the other hand, an Arranger is a Godsend for a songwriter with arthritic hands. Being able to "emulate" the melody and generate the "handshake" required to marry a lyric to a melody and create a song... whether intended to be orchestral or only a small country band or jazz ensemble is the best kept secret in the songwriting community today. I would be lost without mine.

On the other hand, if asked to perform in public, I would probably melt into the woodwork or faint immediately.

As I've said many times before, my admiration for performing Arranger Players who make a living and sound so great is an amazing thing. Don Mason is a legend in the Shreveport, LA area.

Regards,

Dave Rice

#440718 - 11/11/17 07:10 AM Re: Arrangers are for experienced musicians [Re: guitpic1]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
True, I'm a Legend in my own mind! smile
But thanks Dave, wish you lived a little closer!

#440743 - 11/11/17 10:14 AM Re: Arrangers are for experienced musicians [Re: DonM]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
I was, before I lost mine..

#440751 - 11/11/17 01:33 PM Re: Arrangers are for experienced musicians [Re: guitpic1]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Nah, a few lead sheets and/or fake books and some practice...you can play tons of songs and sound pretty good. That's what the styles are for.

Of course that's not like writing your own music.

A lot of us home players (probably 90% of arranger sales) came from 2 or 3 manual home organs, with pedal boards and not a lot of style type things...mostly what we called drum machines...with a little percussion added in as needed.

Of course the better musician you are the better the performances.....

#440753 - 11/11/17 01:39 PM Re: Arrangers are for experienced musicians [Re: leeboy]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Originally Posted By leeboy

Of course the better musician you are the better the performances.....

Nah, I know some really bad musicians that are great entertainers and they have more work than they can handle. I was never a good musician, just a hack, but I knew how to WOW and audience - worked for me! wink

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online