SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#440555 - 11/08/17 12:41 PM BK7m with a VR-09
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Does anyone have any experience with either of these instruments? I want to MIDI the two together. I haven't had complete luck using the BK connection wizard. Any help is appreciated.

#440557 - 11/08/17 01:00 PM Re: BK7m with a VR-09 [Re: cassp]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I midied the BK7m to an Edirol (Roland) controller keyboard and it worked very well. I'm afraid it was too long ago for me to remember the settings though.
Seems as if I recall the wizard working pretty well for me.

#440558 - 11/08/17 01:35 PM Re: BK7m with a VR-09 [Re: cassp]
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Loc: Norway
Hi.
I have just got a BK7-m to have fun and play all Roland styles from the period I had G-70.
Would like to add a BK9, but got this at a great deal.
Got it successfully connected to the Korg MA without any problems.
I've "silenced" Korg by use of the volumesliders just to use it as keyboard to play BK7 "as is", but I have also used Korg sounds in right hand along with BKM styles..
Connection wizard works well, and I did use the "Master keyboard" option. Piano and piano other brands works OK too.
One touch feature works well, split at Ab#3, and bass inv off.
Pitch bend wheel/vibrato joystick works ok when do this early tests.
I'm planning to use Akai MPK 61 and then I probably have to do more "complex" manual midisetup to transfer/trigger most commands at BK7 from that keyboard.
But that's another long shot .....

Btw.
BK had firmware 1.05, and I downloaded 1.06 and 1.07 and updated successfully in case this would fix any bugs.
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#440563 - 11/08/17 02:03 PM Re: BK7m with a VR-09 [Re: cassp]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By cassp
Does anyone have any experience with either of these instruments? I want to MIDI the two together. I haven't had complete luck using the BK connection wizard. Any help is appreciated.

I enjoyed playing my Roland Vr-09 great sound the basics is all you need ......good luck..

Attachments
Roland Vr09.jpg

#440585 - 11/08/17 11:06 PM Re: BK7m with a VR-09 [Re: Gunnar Jonny]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By Gunnar Jonny
Hi.
I have just got a BK7-m to have fun and play all Roland styles from the period I had G-70.
Would like to add a BK9, but got this at a great deal.
Got it successfully connected to the Korg MA without any problems.
I've "silenced" Korg by use of the volumesliders just to use it as keyboard to play BK7 "as is", but I have also used Korg sounds in right hand along with BKM styles..
Connection wizard works well, and I did use the "Master keyboard" option. Piano and piano other brands works OK too.
One touch feature works well, split at Ab#3, and bass inv off.
Pitch bend wheel/vibrato joystick works ok when do this early tests.
I'm planning to use Akai MPK 61 and then I probably have to do more "complex" manual midisetup to transfer/trigger most commands at BK7 from that keyboard.
But that's another long shot .....

Btw.
BK had firmware 1.05, and I downloaded 1.06 and 1.07 and updated successfully in case this would fix any bugs.

Maybe i am spoiled...
last time i played a BK9 it sounded a little dated compared to the latest offerings of Ketron, Korg and Yamaha.. Roland BK series sound so much like an arranger keyboard. Where the other brands have evolved to sounding like a real band.

Offcourse the G70 sounded incredible for its time, but time has passed and evolved and Roland arrangers have not.

If i would need a module, the only real option right now seems the Ketron SD40.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#440586 - 11/08/17 11:09 PM Re: BK7m with a VR-09 [Re: cassp]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By cassp

Have you tried setting the global channel on both instruments manually?

http://keyszone.boards.net

#440595 - 11/09/17 03:19 AM Re: BK7m with a VR-09 [Re: Bachus]
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Originally Posted By Bachus

Maybe i am spoiled...
last time i played a BK9 it sounded a little dated compared to the latest offerings of Ketron, Korg and Yamaha.. Roland BK series sound so much like an arranger keyboard. Where the other brands have evolved to sounding like a real band.

Offcourse the G70 sounded incredible for its time, but time has passed and evolved and Roland arrangers have not.

If i would need a module, the only real option right now seems the Ketron SD40.

Agree in most, but my intention was no other than be a bit nostalgic and have fun with all my Roland stuff since I got this equipment at a very low price. (2.nd hand, but condition as new)
Styles sounds best on the brand they're made for, and BK7-m is a neat soundmodule as well.
Btw, many nice styles onboard to just let the mind fly and jam along. smile

#440596 - 11/09/17 04:22 AM Re: BK7m with a VR-09 [Re: cassp]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
In my rehearsal room I use a VP770 (with sustain pedal for piano) to control my BK7m. I also have a FC-7 (foot controller) plugged directly in to the BK7m. I use the BK7m mostly as a drum machine for practicing and for rehearsal when we don't have a drummer. The VP770 sits on top of my organ (KeyB duo MK111). This combo works very well once properly tweaked. Midi implementation on most Roland products of similar vintage seem to work well together, so I suspect that the VR09 will work very nicely as a controller. I strongly suggest that you (also) get a foot controller similar to the FC-7 which is now discontinued. Here is a link to a site that has a 'workaround' solution.

https://roxys.com/shop/roland-fc7-foot-controller/

Like GJ, I also like the BK7m (except for the local controls) and especially (the sound of) their drum kits (Meh on the drum patterns--average, not as good as Korg's - JMO).

Have fun.

chas

#440604 - 11/09/17 06:41 AM Re: BK7m with a VR-09 [Re: cgiles]
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Originally Posted By cgiles
.... I also have a FC-7 (foot controller) ...

Yeah, got one unused within same bargain, but so far it's still unused.
Placed the BK at KMA's musicrest, so close to operate and reach any buttons.
T4 at 1st row, then KMA / BK7-m at top.

But now I have a personal fight, leave T4 and buy Genos, or just add a PA4X-76......
Hard to do "the right" choice. crazy

Btw,
you can also control the BK's at iPad by use of BK-app.
Downloaded, but not tested. Waiting for the "photadapter" to connect the midicable:

Edited by Gunnar Jonny (11/09/17 07:01 AM)
Edit Reason: Added info

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online