SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#440543 - 11/08/17 09:22 AM Hammered Action Arranger?
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
What is it, do you suppose, that makes a hammered action arranger a difficult build/sell?

This is the keyboard that my cousin(plays 10+ gigs a week) uses. All of 20 some pounds...very acceptable hammered action for him...been playing piano since he was a kid.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PX5S

He has told me that he would buy into an arranger like this in a heartbeat(my brother also)
were it a decent hammered action....even if it added 10 - 15 pounds...still gig worthy.

I own a Yamaha DGX 650...pretty good piano action..but pathetic arranger capabilities. Our church has a Clavinova...lovely hammered action...again, very average arranger capabilities.

So what makes it so difficult to produce a hammered action arranger, 25 - 45 pounds with decent arranger functions?

Yamaha’s CVP 709.. I’ve played it...wonderful keyboard touch(from a so so keyboardist)lousy arranger functions...and how much?

Edited by guitpic1 (11/08/17 09:38 AM)

#440547 - 11/08/17 10:19 AM Re: Hammered Action Arranger? [Re: guitpic1]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
I think I understand the need for hammered action...

When I was a kid in the 60’s, I played an electric guitar in a rock band. Not long after that I started playing an acoustic..doing folk music..a Goya steel string guitar would you believe?

I even started my own business with Saga Music...late 60’s. Had the Franchise as a kid,..but that’s another story.

Thing is...I learned to love the feel/control of an acoustic guitar over an electric guitar.

Electric guitar sound is much like a keyboard without speakers, contro/sound is in the knobs and the amp.

Edited by guitpic1 (11/08/17 10:24 AM)

#440565 - 11/08/17 02:06 PM Re: Hammered Action Arranger? [Re: guitpic1]
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
Hmm... the Korg Havian 30 does most of what you're asking for. I heard it was being discounted, so maybe they were having trouble moving it. Or maybe they were just clearing it out to make room for a PA700-based model coming soon! And I always thought the TOTL Clavinovas were like a Tyros with hammered action.

I like organ actions (think Hammond SK1) best of all, but there's no reason you can't mate a stage piano to a BK-7m, Ketron SD40, etc. My $.02

#440579 - 11/08/17 06:07 PM Re: Hammered Action Arranger? [Re: guitpic1]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
I have a Clavinova CVP-307 in the family room. If it were portable I’d take it on on a gig in a heartbeat. The piano voices are terrific and and it has plenty of styles to do the job. I’m guessing based on the age it would be more equivalent to the PSR3000. It has a graded hammer action too. After I bought this I wound up selling my Samick 5 foot 10 baby grand since the CVP 307 never went out of tune, I got tired of having to pay the piano tech to come in 3 times per year to keep it sounding good.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online