SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#439540 - 10/21/17 11:20 AM Re: Is the Genos suffering like the Montage Did? [Re: travlin'easy]
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
Originally Posted By travlin'easy
Ya know, I really didn't see any hype coming directly from Yamaha - it all came from individual speculators on forums such as this one. How about someone showing me a link to a Yamaha advertisement for a Genos prior to it's release. smile

Gary cool

+1 Spot on Gary.
I have been sitting back and watching people on various forums getting all hyped up. Positive and negative.
Mostly with no or very little knowledge about the product itself.
It's like a comedy show wink
Of course a lot of the naysayers would never buy a Genos and some of them just like to stir things up.
I for one welcome the change with the new Genos.
As far as I know all the bread and butter sounds are still there and totally reworked. All the bread and butter styles are there too.
But of course with every iteration of a new KB they'll show you the new stuff.
When the T5 came out it was all about organ world, ensemble voices etc. couldn't care less about that myself wink
Don't worry, there will be lots more demos from Europe with the good old stuff.
However; it is obvious, that at some point in time all the manufactures have to change course.
Look at KAOSS in the PA4X. How many of you are using it?
It has been said here many times before: you don't have to buy it.

All I want in a KB is better improved sound. HD if you will.
It looks like the Genos will deliver on that.
I understand features. But first and foremost is the sound.
I can always find workarounds.

I played the PA4X on my last trip to Europe.
What a fantastic KB. Korg got it finally right.
I was almost tempted to buy one smile
However having lots of Yamaha Styles that I need made the decision easy.
I think the Genos will certainly fit my bill.
Making a KB your own is so important. I have always done that and was always happy with what I had.
It is not the features, but the playing after all that makes me happy. keys

Eric

#439549 - 10/21/17 04:40 PM Re: Is the Genos suffering like the Montage Did? [Re: abacus]
musicforyourday Offline

Loc: So California, USA
I am not going to Speak for all the haters here but come on guys

I HAVE A UNIT SITTING NEXT TO ME have had it for 4 days

it is great very advanced sound are great vocal are great
styles are all re worked

very accecessable in many ways redundant in a good way

those of you making comments on this Keyboard dont have one and those who do and it very few of you don t know what you got.

it got a couple little bugs that will be fixed by update

but over all big upgrade in lot of ways .

i got one and and can say bravo to Yamaha .

i am working my way thru it and for sombody to say it not all that well you are intitled to you own opinion

but come on this is a real nice and powerful unit.

if you love Korg then Love it

but stop with the hating guys this is a very nice unit at 28 lb and does what it does with 76 keys fits in SKB 61 NOTE case

real great Keyboard

if any body wants real comments the ask me and stop listoing to people who dont have one.

#439554 - 10/21/17 07:55 PM Re: Is the Genos suffering like the Montage Did? [Re: abacus]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Ron, glad you are having fun with your new Genos, and I know you will will discover things that no one here has ever even thought about. Keep us posted about your experiences.

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#439555 - 10/21/17 11:37 PM Re: Is the Genos suffering like the Montage Did? [Re: musicforyourday]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By musicforyourday
I am not going to Speak for all the haters here but come on guys

I HAVE A UNIT SITTING NEXT TO ME have had it for 4 days

it is great very advanced sound are great vocal are great
styles are all re worked

very accecessable in many ways redundant in a good way

those of you making comments on this Keyboard dont have one and those who do and it very few of you don t know what you got.

it got a couple little bugs that will be fixed by update

but over all big upgrade in lot of ways .

i got one and and can say bravo to Yamaha .

i am working my way thru it and for sombody to say it not all that well you are intitled to you own opinion

but come on this is a real nice and powerful unit.

if you love Korg then Love it

but stop with the hating guys this is a very nice unit at 28 lb and does what it does with 76 keys fits in SKB 61 NOTE case

real great Keyboard

if any body wants real comments the ask me and stop listoing to people who dont have one.

Good to hear..
Glad you like it, and i am sure many others will to

Just one thing to keep in mind...
There is a difference between being hatefull and being critical..

The Yamaha Genos is being good at the things Yamaha wants it to do..
Yet there are quite a few things the keyboard can't do, that should have been part of the keyboard to make it what Yamaha claims it is.

i have 3 main and several smaller issues with the Genos
- No DAW integration (which is required to make Yamaha an integral part of the studio, Audio over USb and Montage connect should have been part of the instrument) which would be a requirement to make the Montage the perfect scratchboard for composers which Yamaha claims it to be
- The arps section with only 216 arps, and only assignable to R1, makes it a toy, its exactly the same toy the put in the PSR-E series. No user ARPS. No edditing of ARP's. To make the tool usefull and pull in the younger players, there should have been 4 arps, with access to Style, pannel and Multipad voices. And preloaded with Btween 1500 and 2000 arps and atleast a 1000 locations for user arps. Its Yamaha's most expensive instrument, they should atleast make this feature a pro feature and not a toy
- Sound edditing and sound creation, should have been onboard. Also for midi edditing there should have been a piano roll editor (the screen is big enough).. maybe they will add this trough an ipad app.. Yamaha advertisies the Genos as a tool for producers and composers to get away from the PC and being creative. Not being able to edit sounds on this level will leave the newcommers in the dust.

Those are the 3 main issues with the Genos, Yamaha could still overcome trough software patches, and content upgrades..

And then there is the list of smaller issues...
- No insert DSP for multipads
- Knobs are not encoders
- No audio syncing with Midi
- No syncing start of Song and style
- No real onboard synth engine, which would have suited the EDM part really well.

and i could go on and on.. its quite a long list... and probably to long for a €4500 instrument. Its €1000 more expensive then the montage 7, while the hardware costs are quite a bit lower.

Sure it has a nicer screen, but all other components like the metal case, the knobs and some others are of better quallity on the Montage..

All in all we are back to where we left with the Tyros range, yes its a very very nice instrument, yet it still leaves me with the feeling that for the most expensive keyboard instrument in the main markets, Yamaha should have done better.

They claim it to be a workstation.. Yet its not.

Its just an excellently build arranger.

Yamaha's claim that it is a workstation, justifies my criticism, and so does the price.

http://keyszone.boards.net

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online