bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
So when I was asked which keyboard do you want the pa4x or the S970;
I answered; “BOTH”

John C. (Pa4x & S970) Nice

#439252 - 10/17/17 08:53 AM Re: Getting down to one keyboard [Re: guitpic1]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Since the 4x is "silent" ... build a custom rack that puts the 970 really close to the back of the Korg, so you can plug the outputs of the Korg into the Yamaha. Your living room will look neater, no sound system needed for home use. (Maybe get a teeny bass amp, or sub if it makes you happier)
Now, you get the advantage of the better key feel of the Korg, triggering the combined goodness of both architectures, with stellar vocal effects, and oodles of sonic choices. Save your money - make two become one (Sounds like the Spice Girls?)
That's what I'd do.

#439256 - 10/17/17 10:30 AM Re: Getting down to one keyboard [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
If I were still performing, and not fully retired, I would use the keyboard that is easiest to use, sounds great, and I'm most comfortable with - (like Dave with selecting redheads! wink )

I really don't need onboard speakers, but when playing in the office, they are the ones I use all the time - they sound great and were designed and installed just for this particular keyboard. The keybed, at least IMO, is meaningless. It really doesn't change anything in the way I play or performed on stage or at home. That's just my opinion, though. Some folks really have to have keys they can pound on like Jerry Lee, but I was never one of them. I got conned into doing a one-hour piano job many years ago, and I told the person hiring me that I was not a good piano player - she didn't care. She just wanted me to play her Steinway and sing soft ballads, which I did. At the end of the job, I could hardly grasp the steering wheel on the van because my fingers hurt so badly I wanted to scream. NEVER AGAIN!

As for the PA, we all have our druthers, and I blame this completely on UD. Woe is the day that I traveled to Philly with Fran and entered that Italian restaurant where he was performing with his Bose L1 PAS. I ordered mine the following day and have been a big fan of Bose ever since. Dave has been a good influence on me, though I hate to admit it, and so has Fran and Donny, the Three Amigos. wink

The only problem I ever had when I was down to one keyboard is I had a constant fear that my primary board would drop dead one day and I would have to work that day in order to keep making enough money to support the family and my bad habits, boats, booze, books, bad food, etc... Consequently, I have always purchased a duplicate keyboard so I had that instant backup, which I usually carried in the van, just to be on the safe side. After a while, though, I stopped lugging it around in the van because in all the years I was on stage, I never experienced a complete keyboard failure - NEVER! So, the backup stayed home in the office, but was updated every time I added new songs and styles - can't have too many backups.

As for the vocal harmony, Uncle Dave influenced that aspect as well. He never found an onboard harmonizer as good as the stand alones, and neither did I. I eventually, with the advice of Don Mason, went with the Harmony-M, I still have it, it has been very reliable, sounds great and fit nicely inside my custom console. I know that UD relies a lot on his vocal harmony for his performances, but for the most part, I rarely use mine and rely mostly on my singular vocals to get through the job. So far, no one has thrown rotted fruit or vegetables at me, so I must have done something right in all those years.

So, in answer to the OP's question, go with a keyboard that you enjoy playing, one that is reliable, one that sounds great and one you can lug around until you're ready to fully retire. After you retire, you just may find gardening or golf more enjoyable - YA NEVER KNOW! wink Hey Guitpic, I though you were gonna get out of this business. confused

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#439270 - 10/17/17 02:03 PM Re: Getting down to one keyboard [Re: travlin'easy]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By travlin'easy
I would use the keyboard that is easiest to use, sounds great, and I'm most comfortable with - (like Dave with selecting redheads! wink

Who ever said selecting redheads was EASY?!?!?!?!?!?!?

#439274 - 10/17/17 04:24 PM Re: Getting down to one keyboard [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
smile

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#439276 - 10/17/17 04:30 PM Re: Getting down to one keyboard [Re: bruno123]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By bruno123
So when I was asked which keyboard do you want the pa4x or the S970;
I answered; “BOTH”

John C. (Pa4x & S970) Nice

Great answer John, I have the same boards and that’s my answer too smile

#439295 - 10/18/17 02:38 AM Re: Getting down to one keyboard [Re: guitpic1]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Except for Christmas styles, perhaps, when would you choose the S970 over the Pa4X?

#439298 - 10/18/17 03:35 AM Re: Getting down to one keyboard [Re: Bernie9]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
The Pa4x is definitely out front if you are playing a job. The S970 does not compare in that area. (opinion)

The total sound of the S970 falls into the area which I call, “Touch of class”. Richer without too much push and drive; if I am not playing out the S970 would be my choice. Song like Misty and Feelings sound better on the S970. It is the nature of the Yamaha keyboard. The amount of styles available is also a good reason.

Disco, rock or a Big Band up Tempo are much better on the Pa4x.

So I listened to a friend called Steve who owns both these keyboards and now I'm a happy camper.

John C.

#439301 - 10/18/17 06:00 AM Re: Getting down to one keyboard [Re: guitpic1]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
John,

Happy to hear you’re happy with the s970!

9 out of 10 times it’s the PA4x for me at gigs, the s970 is great for a small gathering in a more intimate atmosphere. Great Christmas styles too but in all honesty I’ve adapted on board Korg styles for use at Christmas time.

#439342 - 10/18/17 11:07 AM Re: Getting down to one keyboard [Re: Stephenm52]
Bachus Offline

Getting down to 1 keyboard..
Thats what i been hoping to do for half a decade now

But then, try to find an 88 key workstation with aftertouch and styles on board..

http://keyszone.boards.net

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online