SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#438710 - 10/08/17 06:15 AM Fantastic Bang for the buck
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
...but only if you're into VSTi's, sound creation, and home studios. I picked up a spanking new Alesis XV49 on SDOTD (Musician's Friend) for $149.00 (sells all over the net for $399). Although I have a Samson Graphite 49 and a Roland A70 (oldie but goodie), I couldn't resist what appeared to be a well-built controller with tons of features and that included an unbelievable software package. The software included VIP (fabulous, especially when mated to this controller), Ableton Lite 9, and literally thousands of samples, loops, etc. Sounds can be called up on either the built-in screen or on the computer (they mirror each other). It also has built-in Arpegiation (preset or custom patterns), recording transports, and too many features to mention here. Other highlights include an unbelievable Piano package with literally hundreds of samples. The keybed is a little stiff (for a general purpose controller), more like 'fully weighted'; great for pianists (except for the 49 keys smile ). I suspect it will loosen up a bit with use. Has both 5 pin din and USB midi so you can have USB to computer and simultaneously control a hardware module.

The learning curve is a bit steep but worth it to explore all the features. It seems to be getting rave reviews on most of the music sites and store reviews. Not as exciting as a new Genos but at $149, I'm stoked. Personally, I think it would be a bargain at the regular price (if you have such a need).

chas

#438714 - 10/08/17 07:14 AM Re: Fantastic Bang for the buck [Re: cgiles]
Bachus Offline

I guess that makes you a VIP..
Vip is a perfect tool for using vst’s in a live situation

Edited by Bachus (10/08/17 07:15 AM)

http://keyszone.boards.net

#438754 - 10/08/17 06:33 PM Re: Fantastic Bang for the buck [Re: cgiles]
OldNewb Offline

Loc: Shorewood Wi. USA
Congrats Chaz,
I saw it and almost jumped on that SDOTD.
Now hearing about the keyfeel I wish I had.
Of course hoping that they do loosen a bit for you.
But I’ve been wanting something a bit stiffer than these
yammy keys lately.
I guess I’d prefer it in a 61 key also.
Be that as it may I’m happy for you on the deal.
Jim

#438827 - 10/10/17 06:37 AM Re: Fantastic Bang for the buck [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

You should have jumped, Jim. The more I explore this thing, the more impressed I am. Although it will control hardware modules just fine, it is primarily designed for use with the VIP software. With it's color screen and nearly instant recall of the VSTi's, it's just as easy to us as a hardware synth. BUT, the biggest bonus is the software package that came with it. Hundreds of usuable (editable) sounds and instruments including a very good acoustic piano set. I still can't believe I got this package for $149. For those needing a decent controller with quite an arsenal of sounds, if this thing comes back on sale, I suggest you jump on it.

chas

#438828 - 10/10/17 06:41 AM Re: Fantastic Bang for the buck [Re: cgiles]
OldNewb Offline

Loc: Shorewood Wi. USA
Good to hear you are well pleased with it!
Jim

#438853 - 10/10/17 12:38 PM Re: Fantastic Bang for the buck [Re: cgiles]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By cgiles
You should have jumped, Jim. The more I explore this thing, the more impressed I am. Although it will control hardware modules just fine, it is primarily designed for use with the VIP software. With it's color screen and nearly instant recall of the VSTi's, it's just as easy to us as a hardware synth. BUT, the biggest bonus is the software package that came with it. Hundreds of usuable (editable) sounds and instruments including a very good acoustic piano set. I still can't believe I got this package for $149. For those needing a decent controller with quite an arsenal of sounds, if this thing comes back on sale, I suggest you jump on it.

chas

I would love to see a hardware keyboard/arranger implement this,...
Vip like software running on ghe pc..
Controlling the sounds and the vip on the keyboard
Having audio over USB making the arranger key the audio imterface of your pc..

Why do all these hardware companies refuse to integrate with the software part
Akai, alesis and ni are imtegrating the software into the hardware..

Isnt it time for yamaha since they own steinberg to wake up?

http://keyszone.boards.net

#438858 - 10/10/17 02:35 PM Re: Fantastic Bang for the buck [Re: Bachus]
cgiles Offline

Originally Posted By Bachus

Why do all these hardware companies refuse to integrate with the software part
Akai, alesis and ni are imtegrating the software into the hardware..

Isnt it time for yamaha since they own steinberg to wake up?

Agree 100%. If I can get all this for $149, it couldn't cost them that much to do it, and it would add tons of utility and expanded sound potential to the arranger kb, not to mention upping the fun factor 1000%. Oh, and it's not just the 'sounds', what about the unlimited (and possibly superior) FX (effects) that would be available without having to deal with additional hardware. Let's face it, VST's and VSTi's are not going anywhere and will figure prominently in future music production. And luckily, it is infinitely cheaper and more versatile than any hardware equivalent. You will notice that Bachus, despite having an awesome pallet of sounds as presented by the Kronos and PA4x, still chooses to expand that pallet through external software. Compared to him, I'm a total novice at this, but I'm still having a barrel of fun exploring this new sound source.

chas

#438859 - 10/10/17 03:42 PM Re: Fantastic Bang for the buck [Re: cgiles]
124 Offline

Yamaha will probably do this by Genos 4, and the price will be pushing ten grand. It's the Yamaha way. wink How gauche smile

#438868 - 10/11/17 12:46 AM Re: Fantastic Bang for the buck [Re: cgiles]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
The hardware Bachus mentions are still basic Midi controllers and very primitive compared to even a cheap arranger (£50 Casio) in what they can do, it’s the software and external computer that makes them great.

Virtually all arranger players (99.9% of which are home hobby players) are not interested in having to do any work to sound great, but instead just want to press a button and have everything done for them. (Hence manufactures make arrangers, as they are easy play instruments (Sound great without the wait)

Ask most arranger players and they are amazed by the sound of VSTs out there; however mention that they have to do a little work to get them to sound as they want and all interest is lost. (They go straight back to the more limited hardware boards)

Manufactures only build what they can sell, and most arranger players want hardware, not software based boards. (Even though the arrangers they play are just bespoke software/hardware combinations)

Bill

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online