SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#437906 - 09/25/17 10:58 AM 88 Key Controller for vArranger or SD40
Torch Offline

I wonder what 88 keys other members use. I am looking into one to play VST instruments, vArranger or arranger modules like the V3 Sound Desktop or the SD40. I love my M-Audio Code 61 with an excellent keyboard action. I wish there was an 88 key version of it.

Anyway, I have considered the following models and I have excluded anything over 35 LBS.

1. Roland A88 35 LBS

2. Numa Stage 28 LBS

3. Casio PX560 26 LBS

4. Keylab 88 28 LBS

Any input will be appreciated.

Chris
"You Shall Know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free." John 8:32

#437913 - 09/25/17 12:05 PM Re: 88 Key Controller for vArranger or SD40 [Re: Torch]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
I have used a 61 key Roland A-800 Pro controller with vArranger and have found it to be outstanding with many controls that vArranger allows you to program. Based on my experience I would look at the Roland 88 key version and see what controls are available.

I have heard it is easier to control the SD40 from the module's screen rather than with using a controllers controls. But I have no personal experience with the SD40. Perhaps AJ could respond to this.

Deane

#437973 - 09/26/17 01:44 PM Re: 88 Key Controller for vArranger or SD40 [Re: Torch]
solomon8 Offline

Loc: Lehigh Acres, Fl USA
I use the MOXF8 with vArranger. It works really well.

#437990 - 09/26/17 08:21 PM Re: 88 Key Controller for vArranger or SD40 [Re: solomon8]
Torch Offline

The MOXF8 only 33 pounds? I thought it was much heavier than that. I remember having tried it out at a Guitar Center. A very nice workstation with extensive DAW and VST control. An attractive price, too.

The problem is too many choices! The MOXF8 leads me to compare it with the Roland fa-08 a bit heavier than the MOXF8.

The Roland A8 looks nice and compact, but I am thinking maybe I should get a controller with some sounds just in case my PC freezes on me.

#437991 - 09/26/17 08:47 PM Re: 88 Key Controller for vArranger or SD40 [Re: Torch]
Bachus Offline

Problem is that the good 88 keybeds most of the time dont fit your pricing...

I would go for a casio..
Casio px-5s adds atleast some programable knobs and sliders..

And look into the studiologic line.. the 88 studio version is 13kg, the grand version 20mkg
Or even a nord stage used.. they are under that weight and build like a truck with good keybed

Also the nektar impact has 88 keys and a comtroller interface comparable to the code 61
However while it has a good keybed, it doesnt mimic a piano that much
Its middel of the road between piano and synth
So try before you buy

I domt know about the Roland rd2000, what does it weight?
Its an incredible master key
So are the kronos and the montage

All depends on what you expect from the keybed and what you want on your comtroll interface...

Check out all the models here at thomann( also available in Englis)

https://www.thomann.de/nl/masterkeyboards_met_88_toetsen.html

http://keyszone.boards.net

#437992 - 09/26/17 08:53 PM Re: 88 Key Controller for vArranger or SD40 [Re: Torch]
Bachus Offline

If you want sounds on board, and stick with the under 35 lbs

Both moxf and fa08 are great
But i do t like either keybed very much for piano action
Prefer the roland
Also prefer rolands pc imtegration, but moxf is quite good as well
I do prefer moxf’s arpeggiators, so nice to play with

Also the nord stage as said above quallifies as a master key
Its unde 35 lbs
And build like a truck
But its in a differemt price range
However older moddels still do well and can be bought used..

#438010 - 09/27/17 12:53 PM Re: 88 Key Controller for vArranger or SD40 [Re: Torch]
Torch Offline

Thank you all for your input, especially Bachus for the detailed info and the Thomann link. They sure have everything under the sun.

I forgot about the Casio px-5s. I bought one a couple of years ago for a church group oversseas. I thought the keyboard action was excellent. Only 24 lbs! The RD2000 is very nice, but 47 lbs. I just can't get over how many choices and values are out there when I compare them with my midi/digital accordions.

If the Nextar's action is very similar to that of the Code 61, I can live with that. Actually, as a trained piano player I really like the action on the Code 61, but I thought organ players may not like it because the action, though not a hammer simulation but weighted keys, feels more like a piano action. I compared it just now with other keyboards and a Technics organ I have. A noticeable difference.

#438041 - 09/27/17 11:55 PM Re: 88 Key Controller for vArranger or SD40 [Re: Torch]
Torch Offline

I decided to go with the Numa Stage. The Yamaha was pretty tempting, but I wasn't looking for a workstation. The Numa Stage seems to meet all my needs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zOzlRF1QAo

#438059 - 09/28/17 07:19 AM Re: 88 Key Controller for vArranger or SD40 [Re: Torch]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By Torch
I decided to go with the Numa Stage. The Yamaha was pretty tempting, but I wasn't looking for a workstation. The Numa Stage seems to meet all my needs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zOzlRF1QAo

I like it except for the color..

Did you try the keybed before ordering it?

Personally i can live very well with a fatar Tp 100..
However more fanatic piano players have a different opinion

#438072 - 09/28/17 12:08 PM Re: 88 Key Controller for vArranger or SD40 [Re: Bachus]
Torch Offline

Originally Posted By Bachus

I like it except for the color..

Did you try the keybed before ordering it?

Personally i can live very well with a fatar Tp 100..
However more fanatic piano players have a different opinion
I am glad to hear that you like my choice; I consider it a blessing from a resident gear expert.

As for the white color, I wanted something different.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online