SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#437679 - 09/18/17 07:33 AM Re: Arranger players, I have a question.. [Re: Fran Carango]
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Hi - yeah, I guess I qualify as "old school" too ... spent ~20 years playing keys in a 6pc band ... in my earliest years (high school, early college), I did play a lot of LH bass, but after that we always had a bass player.

I usually had 2 keyboards; one primary for piano and e-piano sounds (I used to like this one to be a 76 note), and a "top" keyboard that did the synths, organs, flutes and saxes, the occasional trumpet etc. I think it was when the KN-800 (Technics) came out that I had my first experience with 'arrangers' ... but I mainly still played in the band. But by the 1990s or so, I was starting to use the arranger in a duo and trio setting, then by 2000s and beyond, did more and more solo gigs using the arranger (Technics then Yamaha).

But I still love it when I can get with a full band and be a keyboard player - and let the drummer and bass player and guitar player fill out the rhythm section! :-) That is the favorite playing experience for me still - playings keys on a good and full band - but I love doing the arranger thing too . . .

-Jim

#437691 - 09/18/17 10:10 AM Re: Arranger players, I have a question.. [Re: jimlaing]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Well, I'm OLD and I went to SCHOOL, but I don't think that qualifies me as an 'OLD SCHOOL' player ...
The most left hand bass I ever played was while I was playing accordion, and for the first few years with 3 to 5 piece groups I was the 'bass player' ... later on, with the band we had for 26 years, I switched to Cordovox and the bass player - who was the featured vocalist - would put down the bass and I would play left hand on the Cordovox while he sang ...
Unfortunately, I never applied myself enough on the Rhodes or subsequently on an arranger keyboard to play left hand bass ... Doing OMB work - depending on the venue - I will sometimes play a ballad first with no tempo, adding arpeggios or polyphonics, and then play the song with some rhythm accompaniment ... Basically, the purpose of my keyboard is to accompany my main instrument, my voice ...

And, as others have said, I get greater pleasure playing along side other musicians, and backing myself or other vocalists on keyboard ...

#437743 - 09/19/17 09:12 AM Re: Arranger players, I have a question.. [Re: tony mads usa]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I have always played at least 50% L/H bass, but since I got my new little Hammond SK-1, I do about 90% left hand.

I still play 2 nights a month on B-3 for jazz night, but, lately, the pay barely pays for the maintenance.

To keep from falling asleep, I use a Hammond on the bottom, the arranger on the top and a variety of 1 or two keyboards on the right hand. That way, the right hand is the prominent lead instrument, and I can either use Rhodes, Wurlitzer, acoustic piano or synth sounds.

The extra work is well worth it!

Good topic, Fran.

Edited by captain Russ (09/19/17 09:15 AM)

#437744 - 09/19/17 09:37 AM Re: Arranger players, I have a question.. [Re: cgiles]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By cgiles
I practice and rehearse using the BK7m as a drum machine (when I can't get a drummer). When using a drummer I use my Alexis DM10 Pro (except with my favorite drummer, who insists on bringing his own scaled-down acoustic set). I use pedals for slow tunes and LH bass on up-tempo tunes (arthritic knees). I only play organ but do occasionally use piano and brass from the VP770 mounted on top of my organ (KeyB Duo Mk111). On real gigs, I have only used organ (organ trio/quartet format).

As far as Arrangers go, whatever works best for you and what you feel most comfortable with. IN MY OPINION, styles CANNOT be tweaked to be made to NOT sound like ....styles. For that reason, I tend to lean towards Fran's position of using midi files (to play over) instead. The problem with that (IMO) is that unless the midi files are SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED to be played over (not just deleting the melody track), it's still going to sound a little 'cheezy'. That's because YOU have to respond to it rather than it responding to you (as with live players).

I think we all (well, most of us) agree that the most optimal playing experience is playing with other live players. Sadly, given the current economic clime, that is not always possible. For me (and ME ALONE), if I'm paying, I only want to see 'live' music. I don't even like seeing big stars performing to 'taped' backgrounds (although that is often the case). It's like the 'business' of music is more important than the 'art' of music. JMO.

chas

Chas, even in a live band someone has to follow... not that different than playing with SMF's..

Todays great arrangers have the ability to personalize SMF's...

Follow me ....... Start with a great sequence... Load into your onboard sequencer... find a verse maybe the second or third verse.. strip the data so you only have drums , bass, and maybe a rhythm guitar.... Use your markers so you can go to this designated area of the sequence,,,, Now you can take that ride with the freedom you would have in a real band.... we still need to follow chord progressions , just like in the band..
You also have the option to extend the tune and solo any time you want... This result is way better than style play to me...

#437745 - 09/19/17 09:59 AM Re: Arranger players, I have a question.. [Re: Fran Carango]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By Fran Carango

Chas, even in a live band someone has to follow... not that different than playing with SMF's..

Fran I agree with most of what you say but what I meant by 'a live band responding to YOU rather than YOU responding to a (more or less) 'fixed' midi file' is; live players will listen to what you are playing and adjust their own playing (volume, phrasing, complimentary riffs, alt. chord selection, etc.) to compliment what you are doing. A midi file is...well, a midi file. You have to play within the parameters set by it. In other words, live....the band follows you, midi file.....you follow it.

But yes, properly set up, you will probably sound better playing over a midi file than with a style. For starters, you don't have to worry about things like when to introduce a break or change variations, etc. and can devote all your concentration on just 'your' part. Of course some will disagree, and frankly, you could probably make an argument either way, but that's what makes it a DISCUSSION, not a STATEMENT OF FACT.

chas

#437847 - 09/22/17 01:45 PM Re: Arranger players, I have a question.. [Re: Fran Carango]
Torch Offline

First of all, a great thread, Fran. I joined this forum five years ago because of your interaction with Gary on amps and speakers. Mainly, the BA330 and the Bose Compact. Oh, No. The FedEx guy just dropped my Code 61 at this very second !!! Well, I better hurry.

Though I have always had arranger keyboards and modules, I wasn't really big on them. I will have to admit that just because a person is a trained pianist, that doesn't mean he or she will thrive on an arranger keyboard "automatically" (pun intended). That was me. I will even say most trained solo pianists won't know what to do with an arranger.

I'm thinking of my former teacher Johnny. A superb Jazz organist/accordionist. I saw him putting life into the auto accompaniment part of his arranger Roland VA7 years ago. I heard him say, "Let the machine work for you." When a top notch musician says something like that, I know for sure that he is not saying to hide or bury yourself behind the backup. Rather, it means the player is to interact with what other "musicians" in the arranger are doing. From that perspective, I'd think that a person who has played quite a bit in a band has an advantage.

On the other hand, I have run into players like my friend who will candidly say he has to have an arranger/module to perform. Nothing against them. As long as it works for them, so why not? However, as an "observer" not as an authority on arranger I've noticed that variety is the key. If a person plays the whole program with any kind of backup, it can be tiring. I'd think that iff a person plays even a simple tune with both hands with no backup in between it can bring freshness to the whole program and maximize the arranger.

Gotta go to open the code 61 box.
"You Shall Know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free." John 8:32

#437887 - 09/24/17 11:11 PM Re: Arranger players, I have a question.. [Re: Fran Carango]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By Fran Carango

How many of you guys/gals enjoy and play this way... Do you find it as rewarding as I do..

If I had to state what changed my playing drastically for the better, it would be playing "left hand bass."

It started with those Jerry Lee Lewis riffs I was practicing, then somebody here about a year ago mentioned playing left hand bass, and I took it a step further and, remembering listening to a pianist years ago walking his bass, I wondered if I could learn to do it too.

It's easy enough if you're just comping chords, or playing the melody, but I'm doing improvising while doing walking bass. Hardest thing I've ever had to work on.

Never thought I'd get this far, but I have come a long way with it now....about 3-4 months and it's just starting to come together though I still lose my way in places. But what a sound! Fills out the tune completely. And I can play arrangements now with variations on the bass that give me another instrument (the bass line).

Best of all, I feel more like I'm master of the keyboard. The whole thing is hard to explain, but it's given me so much more incentive to play.....a whole different way now....putting out a really big sound just using the piano.

BTW....as many of you are, I'm originally an accordionist too. That's why I spend so much time working on my left hand.

Mark

#437954 - 09/26/17 05:44 AM Re: Arranger players, I have a question.. [Re: Mark79100]
Mockie Offline

Loc: Dublin Ireland
I have to say, I totally agree with Mark on the importance of playing live LH bass.
I, like Mark trained as an accordionist, I love the accordion to this day and I still play the odd accordion gig. However I also like pop, jazz and all types of good music and moved to an X5 portable Hammond organ ( late 70s early 80s) playing bass pedals thro a bass amp with a rotary speed speaker on upper keyboards. Late 80s the Dx7 etc arrived, I then moved to synths and for the next 20-25 yrs played top 40 music in bars with
guitar and drums playing manual LH bass (great times).As the scene changed I bought an arranger (Tyros1)and got work with a singer doing mature social clubs. Forward to June 2017,sold my G70 bought Privia (Casio)piano, different scene now,freelancing with drummers mainly,the odd standin work. Playing piano with split bass and... yes.. LH bass, great sound, loving it. I still use my BK7 with midi accordion and I may use it with a master keyboard if the need arises. I do love plaing again with live musicians, as they say "it's where it's at".
Arrangers? a musicians tool or hobbyist's toy? it is part of our evolution as gigging musicans but not the be all and end all.

#437959 - 09/26/17 07:57 AM Re: Arranger players, I have a question.. [Re: Fran Carango]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
The reason I can get away with using just 10-15 different drum patterns, is that playing my own LH bass line makes the pattern unique. Think of it - in most real band situations, the actual drum beats are not THAT specific to each song. FIlls, and accents aside - the drummer needs to be more like Ringo than Steve Gadd.
I DO use the auto bass for some things ... I'd be foolish not to - it sounds so good, and frees me up to be more creative in other ways, but my staple sound .... my signature is LH Bass, RH Rhodes, sometimes with a string or choir pad, and a solid drummer. Everything else is fluff. I picture my act as a trio:
Drummer
Bass Player
Singing KB player
When I augment the routine with a sequence, or MP3, that's just more fluff. Sometimes, I need a lot of it, sometimes, not so much, but the core of the arrangement is always my RH playing most of the rhythmic chords stuff, even if I'm using an arranger pattern. I rarely play a single note melody with the RH. I like to "Paint" the chords into all the nooks and crannies of the rhythm. Playing my own bass lines allows me to "accent" or hit certain lines with a unity that can only come when LH and RH are free to work together.

#437961 - 09/26/17 08:19 AM Re: Arranger players, I have a question.. [Re: Uncle Dave]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By Uncle Dave
Playing my own bass lines allows me to "accent" or hit certain lines with a unity that can only come when LH and RH are free to work together.

You mean like a jazz organist? smile smile smile

chas

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online