SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#437747 - 09/19/17 12:09 PM My friend Helmut Licht and his big band...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
My longtime friend, Helmut Licht, who plays an S970 arranger keyboard, primarily performing the senior circuit, also has a Big Band, 17 pieces. When he found out I had to retire, he asked what I was going to do with all my backup gear. I said "It's all for sale." He purchased many items, including my once used Samson Airline 77 wireless mic system, and one of my Crown CM311A headset mics. He is switching from a boom, hand-held mic to a headset after seeing me perform and the freedom it offers. He tried it out yesterday here in my office, and said this was the best investment he has made in years. He will be using it during his big band performances, and on the senior circuit.

Attached is a short video of his band from a job he did in Delaware last month. I really love Big Bands. smile

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#437752 - 09/19/17 05:05 PM Re: My friend Helmut Licht and his big band... [Re: travlin'easy]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By travlin'easy
My longtime friend, Helmut Licht, who plays an S970 arranger keyboard, primarily performing the senior circuit...............

Attached is a short video of his band from a job he did in Delaware last month. I really love Big Bands. smile

All the best,

Gary cool

Ditto I love big bands too. Class all the way!

Gary I remember Helmut stopping by at your arranger jam, too bad he couldn’t stay to join in.

#437753 - 09/19/17 05:09 PM Re: My friend Helmut Licht and his big band... [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Very enjoyable thanks for sharing

#437754 - 09/19/17 05:17 PM Re: My friend Helmut Licht and his big band... [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

clap love the big band sound..

Edited by Dnj (09/19/17 05:18 PM)

#437756 - 09/19/17 05:46 PM Re: My friend Helmut Licht and his big band... [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Helmut has been extremely successful in the music business and he frequently comments about the jam and wishes I would hold another, but alas, this is out of the question for me.

Thanks guys, for commenting,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#437761 - 09/20/17 12:49 AM Re: My friend Helmut Licht and his big band... [Re: travlin'easy]
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
For me, being trumpet soloist in big bands and dixieland bands is the absolute most fun I have ever experienced in music. I'd almost do it for free rocker

#437764 - 09/20/17 02:17 AM Re: My friend Helmut Licht and his big band... [Re: travlin'easy]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I too thoroughly enjoy being lead musician in our not so famous band that has performed weekly at our Cultural Center for almost 50 yrs. I have been there for only 13 yrs, but a few old coots have been faithful from the beginning. As many of you know, in spite of inherent problems occasionally, there is nothing like the comradery of twenty or so old time musicians linked to a common purpose of playing and preserving the music of a bygone era.

#437784 - 09/20/17 12:31 PM Re: My friend Helmut Licht and his big band... [Re: travlin'easy]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I hate to be a pooh-pooher, but there are 10 digital drummers I'd rather work, with than the one in that big band. Absolutely no feel. It's unusual for a better than average band to have a less than average drummer. Not hating, just an observation. He's not very good.

#438354 - 10/02/17 06:53 PM Re: My friend Helmut Licht and his big band... [Re: Uncle Dave]
tassiespirit Offline

Loc: Devonport, Tasmania, Australia
Originally Posted By Uncle Dave
I hate to be a pooh-pooher, but there are 10 digital drummers I'd rather work, with than the one in that big band. Absolutely no feel. It's unusual for a better than average band to have a less than average drummer. Not hating, just an observation. He's not very good.

I think you will find that he is only there to keep them in tempo, most brass bands do that with the drummer. Well, they do it here in Australia anyway.

#438393 - 10/03/17 07:59 AM Re: My friend Helmut Licht and his big band... [Re: travlin'easy]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I learned long ago that the rhythm, and tempo HAVE to be set within the arrangement, by all the instruments, not just "follow the drummer" ...
I've said many times, the drummer is at least the 3rd, or 4th important instrument in the band.
Melody/vocals
bass
chords
drums
ALWAYS, for me at least.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online