SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#43621 - 12/01/05 08:39 PM Strange Behaviour from my KN1400
Mr Green Genes Offline

Loc: Brisbane, QLD, Australia
My KN1400 has recently been exhibiting some odd behaviour which I was hoping someone could shed some light on.

This behaviour seems to happen at times when I have been assigning drum, bass and accompaniment patterns to MIDI channels in order to record them with the MIDI software on my computer. I don't think it has happened on any occasion when I have not changed MIDI part settings, but I am not 100% certain about that.

Upon pressing a few of the 'Rhythm Group' buttons to find and select a rhythm, the keyboard suddenly goes into a kind of 'fit' where it quickly and constantly cycles through different rhythms. The LEDs (lights) for three or more rhythm groups begin flashing furiously, and the main screen becomes a flashing array of rhythm names as the selector constantly jumps from one to another.

If I play a rhythm using the start/stop button, the cycling becomes slower, and, curiously, occurs only every four beats, upon which a new rhythm is selected and begins to play.

I can usually get things to return to normal by reverting to initial factory settings via the program menu, or by leaving the keyboard turned off for a while. But it inevitably happens again once I start fiddling around with midi part settings and choosing selecting rhythms as I have described.

Has anyone encountered such behaviour from a KN1400 or similar keyboard before? Could it be due to a glitch in the firmware, the electronics, or simply to illogical or unconventional usage on my part?

Thanks to anyone who can offer some insights.

#43622 - 12/02/05 07:09 AM Re: Strange Behaviour from my KN1400
etwo4788 Offline

Loc: S.E. New Mexico USA
MR GREEN GENES..... My "hit" is that maybe there is some dust or fuzz caught in the workings inside the KB? Open it up & spray some pressurized air VERY carefully to unseat the culprit....???

Good luck!

ELIZABETH

#43623 - 12/04/05 05:00 PM Re: Strange Behaviour from my KN1400
Mr Green Genes Offline

Thanks Elizabeth. I've never popped the hood of my keyboard before, so I'm just wondering if there are any big Dos and Dont's that I should know about before I try.

I have wondered before if all might not be well inside my KB. One annoying behaviour that it frequently exhibits is a fairly soft but continual beep pitched at around the second F# or G above middle C. I can usually make it go away by lightly tapping the KB in various places, but it will often return after the keyboard has been nudged a bit in the course of playing. So that obviously suggests a physical fault such as a loose connection or something. I wonder if the problems could be related.

[This message has been edited by Mr Green Genes (edited 12-04-2005).]

#43624 - 12/05/05 04:15 PM Re: Strange Behaviour from my KN1400
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Hello Mr Gene,

Sometime ago, my KN7 behaved in much the same way and as I do not use the SMF at all, I could only think it might be the connecting leads which I've used for many years on various KN keyboards. (they do need replacing now and then). I unplugged everything and looked at each in turn. When I got to the MIDI lead, I found although it was in the socket, it wasn't seated properly. I took it out, used a small new paintbrush to clear the dust away from around the pins and replaced it. Switched off, waited a few seconds, switched on and haven't had any problems since.

Just a suggestion!

Aud (U.K.)

#43625 - 12/07/05 08:19 PM Re: Strange Behaviour from my KN1400
Mr Green Genes Offline

Thanks for the suggestion, Audrey. When I turned my attention to the midi leads, I noticed that the behaviour immediately ceases when the midi leads are unplugged from the keyboard. I've given the leads a good blow, to no avail, but am yet to try a more refined method of cleaning them. Mind you, they are quite new and have been plugged in pretty much since I got them, so I would be surprised if they have had much of a chance to get dirty. I'll keep experimenting and report any progress.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online