SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#436226 - 08/18/17 09:19 AM Re: How many gigs just to pay for equipment? [Re: guitpic1]
Dnj Offline

My thought is who cares about the money?....your happiness when playing is PRICELESS!!
always remember someone else will always spend what ever you have left after you gone.....
enjoy life every day as if it was you last......the minute your born your dying!!

have a great day!

#436230 - 08/18/17 10:12 AM Re: How many gigs just to pay for equipment? [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By Dnj
......the minute your born your dying!!

Your thoughts are so upliting. Also, we know how much you love Google -- look up 'apostrophe' smile.

chas

#436231 - 08/18/17 10:17 AM Re: How many gigs just to pay for equipment? [Re: guitpic1]
cgiles Offline

----also 'contraction'.

Example - 'you are' - 'you're'.

Just sayin' smile smile

#436232 - 08/18/17 10:34 AM Re: How many gigs just to pay for equipment? [Re: guitpic1]
Dnj Offline

oh boy I didnt know we had English professors on SZ thats amazing?

#436236 - 08/18/17 11:07 AM Re: How many gigs just to pay for equipment? [Re: Dnj]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
TWO professors...one even tenured.

Ideally, when an instrument or anything else is completely depreciated, it costs you nothing, until you get rid of it and have to pay capital gains tax.

Remember, depreciation is deducted from your gross billing, before tax is calculated.

R.

#436238 - 08/18/17 11:33 AM Re: How many gigs just to pay for equipment? [Re: guitpic1]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I am qualafyed to be a Inglish perfesser my own self, but I never brag none about it much. Now them taxs is a whole nuther thing but I do no the sekret is too not git cot cheeting.

#436239 - 08/18/17 11:42 AM Re: How many gigs just to pay for equipment? [Re: DonM]
cgiles Offline

Originally Posted By DonM
I am qualafyed to be a Inglish perfesser my own self, but I never brag none about it much. Now them taxs is a whole nuther thing but I do no the sekret is too not git cot cheeting.

Now THAT'S more like it.

smile

chas

#436240 - 08/18/17 11:45 AM Re: How many gigs just to pay for equipment? [Re: guitpic1]
cgiles Offline

Oops, I meant DASS MO LAC IT.

smile

chas

#436241 - 08/18/17 12:39 PM Re: How many gigs just to pay for equipment? [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Yep! Dats da way I looked at it. Chas, I, like you, cringe when I see the language slaughtered by a handful of individuals on the forums.

As to Donny's ridiculous statement "My thought is who cares about the money?....your happiness when playing is PRICELESS!!
always remember someone else will always spend what ever you have left after you gone.....
enjoy life every day as if it was you last......the minute your born your dying!!"

Get real, Donny. "Who cares about the money..." When someone pisses away every dime they had, not thinking about the future, that's usually about the time something catastrophic happens in their lives and they don't have a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of. The very next thing they do is lean on their friends and relatives for money they should have been saving and investing throughout their working lives, but didn't have the foresight to do so. When the friends and relatives cash stream runs out, what the Hell, they usually switch streams and rely on the feds to support their silly habits. Most of the musicians I know who had that attitude do not have anything other than minimal Social Security to look forward to if, and when they retire. They pissed away every dime they made, living a happy go lucky lifestyle, and when they died, nearly all left a mountain of debt to their surviving spouses and children.

My fondest wish when I was still working was to have a year where I paid $1-million in income tax for a single year's income. Unfortunately, that never materialized, though I would have loved to live that dream. The big difference between me and most of the musicians I know personally is that I looked at musical entertainment as a business. I ran the musical entertainment business just like I would have run any other business - strictly up front and legit, claimed every dime and took every legal deduction. I did my own bookkeeping and taxes, mainly because I figured I had a vested interest in learning as much as I could about this aspect of business and wanted to know where every penny went that was being invested in that business and what every expenditure would produce. That's the same thing every successful businessman does. I planned for my inevitable retirement from the very first day of my working, adult life. Since my retirement last year, I have been doing my best to enjoy what little life I have remaining. However, I, and my wife, intend to leave a lot for the children when we're dead and buried. And, over the years, I have instilled this lifestyle into my children, both of which have retirement accounts, both work related and individual.

Granted, you should to enjoy what you do for a living, especially if you are self employed. If not, it's gonna be a long, hard road to ride till you reach the end, which is never far away. So if someone purchases a new keyboard just for the happiness aspect, that's just fine for them - I really don't give a damned and sincerely hope the new board makes them very happy. But, from a business standpoint, it's not a capital investment - it becomes a toy. There is a difference! Sure, you can deduct it on your schedule "C", but unless you depreciated it out as a capital investment, you also must subtract from that deduction the amount you got when you either traded it in, or sold, the old keyboard.

As for "The minute you're born, you are dying." That's true for everything in the universe - including the sun. However, it's what YOU do during the interim that makes the difference. I, personally, never lived for today. I lived for tomorrow and all the tomorrows I had and hoped that I had a positive impact on every person I met in life. Sure, you could be dead tomorrow, and I'm real close to that point, but there will always be tomorrows in my life until I draw that last gasping breath.

Sorry for the rant, guys and gals,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#436243 - 08/18/17 01:18 PM Re: How many gigs just to pay for equipment? [Re: travlin'easy]
cgiles Offline

Originally Posted By travlin'easy
Chas, I, like you, cringe when I see the language slaughtered by a handful of individuals on the forums.

DISCLAIMER: Although I agree with Gary's statement above, I must say that I give a pass to our forum friends for whom English is not their primary or 'first' language. As one of the (very large) majority of monolingual Americans, I commend those people for having mastered the language to the point of being able to post coherently, especially on subjects as complex as music. Those of us that were born, raised, and educated here have few excuses other than laziness. Would it really hurt you to use a punctiation mark once in awhile (or proofread it before you post it). It would certainly make your posts less 'cringeworthy' (is that a word smile ).

On the other matter, ignoring financial responsibility in the pursuit of 'now' pleasure, will most assuredly yield the lifestyle you DESERVE in your retirement years. Sadly, your spouse/loved one probably DOESN'T deserve it. JMO.

chas

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online