SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#436120 - 08/16/17 08:36 PM Re: How many gigs just to pay for equipment? [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Ha! She has kept you for 37 years, Don. I know these things because I'm very old, and Carol has allowed me to stick around for 55 years, she knows where the guns are kept and she can shoot better than most guys. Scary, ain't it! wink

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#436193 - 08/18/17 01:57 AM Re: How many gigs just to pay for equipment? [Re: guitpic1]
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
no amount of gigs will help pay for a new keyboard . It is always a loss situation unless you are actually earning more money for the same number of gigs as a direct consequence of purchasing the new keyboard.

#436194 - 08/18/17 03:09 AM Re: How many gigs just to pay for equipment? [Re: DonM]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
After raising family with four children; and now they are all gone, I created a special fund. I use the fund for things that I enjoy; keyboards are on the top of the list. I learn some of this from my friend Bernie.

Like Don I lost money when I bought a S970 and bought a Pa4x. Frank took the S970 as a trade, not as credit, I had it for 40 days and he was right.
Sold and bought 90% of my keyboards here on SynthZone.

Another good reason for this place.
John C

#436197 - 08/18/17 05:27 AM Re: How many gigs just to pay for equipment? [Re: guitpic1]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I agree that from a purely business standpoint, John,I,and a few others could have spent less on new gear and still retained our gigs. However, certain other facets are at work here behind the scenes; namely, the pure joy of making a new board your own, for example. I know there have been many of you that have depended on steady gigs to provide for your family, and, some have not been willing to sacrifice any income to any gear that would not be justified by not bringing in extra income or assuring that the show would go on without a hitch. Having said that, there are many that do not feel they have to hold such a tight reign and can indulge themselves in a little joy and feel good about themselves with the latest toy. This is where John, myself, and many others sit.

Life is short and ,for Gods sake, you better make the most of it. Nuff said, right Donny?

#436198 - 08/18/17 05:53 AM Re: How many gigs just to pay for equipment? [Re: Bernie9]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Bernie9

Life is short and ,for Gods sake, you better make the most of it. Nuff said, right Donny?

Bernie we only go around once Life is too Short To Dilly Dally !!

Just sayin' cool2

#436203 - 08/18/17 06:23 AM Re: How many gigs just to pay for equipment? [Re: guitpic1]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Gary,
You are wrong my friend. My bookkeeper is right on track! Along with Don's comment about the right time to sell, millage and equipment cost deductions our total tax savings run about break even with the cost vs sales price of new equipment. Has been that way for me for 10 years.

Also, what Bernie said. if the money is there why not?

Deane

#436206 - 08/18/17 07:32 AM Re: How many gigs just to pay for equipment? [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Deane, I am looking at this from the standpoint that there is no other source of income, and purely from a business standpoint. I have been in business for myself and doing my own books and taxes since 1975. When I had a CPA doing my taxes she said the same thing that I did.

Now, some folks sincerely believe that they NEED to change keyboards for just the fun aspect, and there is nothing wrong with that. However, from strictly a business aspect, it doesn't work. The number prove that every time.

Good luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#436207 - 08/18/17 07:35 AM Re: How many gigs just to pay for equipment? [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

#436212 - 08/18/17 08:04 AM Re: How many gigs just to pay for equipment? [Re: Dnj]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Calculated correctly, the annual charge for depreciation comes off the top, just like mileage, advertising, etc.

To the extent that you would have more left if you didn't buy the equipment, that's also correct.

the whole thing looks "big" FISHY to me!

R.

#436217 - 08/18/17 08:39 AM Re: How many gigs just to pay for equipment? [Re: guitpic1]
W Tracy Parnell Online   content

Loc: NY
I never kid myself about equipment. I know I am going to lose something if I sell used and buy new. If I can afford it and want to do it, I go ahead. As time goes on, I have a more business-like approach like Gary D and tend to hang on to things as long as they do the job. I am also lazy and hate selling on Ebay. But Don's comments are right on as well, when selling, you have to do so while it still has some value.

Edited by W Tracy Parnell (08/18/17 08:40 AM)

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online