SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Topic Options
#4356 - 11/03/06 11:19 AM Re: Vinatge Gear: Why is it still so popular to own?
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
This forum can be sort of like a time capsule Paul. There was a thread a little while back where two people that had been discussing something back in 2000 picked up the discussion 6 years later. I guess sometimes time is frozen here. That is why I don't delete postings, as they can still be useful to some people that visit.

#4357 - 11/03/06 03:03 PM Re: Vinatge Gear: Why is it still so popular to own?
analogcontrolfreak Offline

I always, thought that once people stopped posting on a particular thread, and the thread is no longer on the front page. That, that is it for the thread, and it's deleted. Guess I was wrong.

Besides being a memeber of this forum, I am also a member of four other forums. The Vintage Synth Explorer, TweakHeadz, Synthtopia and Piano World. Most of my time is spent between this and the VSE forum. Tweakhedz gets some traffic, but if your account is not kept active, Tweak will delete your account. Also I am never sure where to post on there, half the time anyway. Synthtopia, gets barely any traffic. The VSE mostly has ametures, and a lot of kids. I don't men those under twelve, but in High School and college.

I rarely spend anytime on the Piano World forum, only becuse I don't own a piano. I forgot to mention that, I am also memeber of the KEYBOARD group over on the Music Players Froum, but I don't go there much either. I used to be a member of both, the Moog Archives Froum as well as the Moog Music Froums, but seeing as how, I don't own a Moog Synth, there was no point in keeping a membership on either. Same goes for the Synthesizers.com Froum, since I don't own a Synthesizers.com modular.

#4358 - 11/06/06 04:28 AM Re: Vinatge Gear: Why is it still so popular to own?
Chris Attison Offline

Loc: Long Island, NY.
Hell, I remember looking at this thread three years ago. I also cant believe that I am almost a ten year veteran of this site.

#4359 - 11/06/06 11:55 AM Re: Vinatge Gear: Why is it still so popular to own?
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Attison:
Hell, I remember looking at this thread three years ago. I also cant believe that I am almost a ten year veteran of this site.

Cris, where have you been hiding...
Do you still have your K 2500 ?

#4360 - 11/07/06 01:19 AM Re: Vinatge Gear: Why is it still so popular to own?
analogcontrolfreak Offline

Okay, I think I,m starting to understand the popularity of vintage gear. Especially analog synthesizers. Besides the unique sounds, they produce. They also have a lot of knobs and switches, to allow you to, manipulate the sound physically. Something which was lacking on most early digital synths. I'm not saying you could not, manipulate sounds on a digital synth. You just have to do a lot of button pushing, and scrolling through dozens of menues.

However, a lot of companies started to put knobs and switches onto their synths. Like Roland with the JD-800, which had sliders instead of knobs, and later the JP8000. Of course it was Clavia who produced a virtual analog synth, and they had put knobs back on.

The downside to these early analog synths, besides needing repair, or carefull handleing of. The price for these things, has shot up tremendously, subsiquintly, most people includeing myself can not afford to buy them. When analog synths fell out of favor in the 1980's I could have afforded to buy one, I just did not have a job or the money. Of cousre I was still in grade school. Bt the time I got a job and money, vintage synths, became popular again and that started to drive the price up. Of course, I still can not afford them. It's almost a "Catch-22".

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online