SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#435410 - 08/01/17 03:47 PM Ketron SD40
midisqueeze Offline

Loc: New York
Anyone out there own the Ketron SD40 for any length of time AND gig regularly with a MIDI accordion controller or keyboard? My question is has anyone experienced the unit freezing up yet???
I'm looking for a back-up/replacement for my MidJay Pro which I've had problems with ever since I got it despite exhausting all avenues to try to rectify. I'm trying to avoid throwing more good money away...

#435415 - 08/01/17 09:22 PM Re: Ketron SD40 [Re: midisqueeze]
Bachus Offline

Cant help you there

But so far i havent read any reports about freezing and daulty SD40, from what inunderstand the SD40 is rockstable

http://keyszone.boards.net

#435459 - 08/02/17 11:23 AM Re: Ketron SD40 [Re: midisqueeze]
synerjim Offline

Loc: CA
I traded in my MidJay Pro with SD40 expecting it is more stable/refined but sad to say, it has more issues than MJPro. I owned it for several months now and I'd say i'm leery to use it in gigs. Here are the issues i'm experiencing:

1) When you change style variations, frequently it will revert back to same variation (i.e. var A to var C it will revert back to var A)
2) The Registration screen frequently freeze, it won't scroll up/down that you can't able to select registration entries. You have to reboot the unit to be able to scroll again
3) The Recorder is unusable for me due to distortion, tin can quality and strange noises during recording
4) The registration won't memorize mic/harmonizer settings. I have to adjust it always as it is too loud or to low or incorrect harmony
5) When you re-save an SMF with piano sound, it will mess up the piano sustain setting
6) There are Registration entries that it takes forever to load
7) The majority of live style playing controls like intro, reintro, end, fill/break are screen-based. You lose all these controls if you're displaying text or pdf lyrics on the screen

In a nutshell, i regretted trading in my MJPro. I hope these issues will be address next OS update. Other than that, it's a great unit when it's working well and it's the only module arranger in its class in the market.
Just my 2 cents

SD90,Korg I3, KMA Liverpool,TC Helicon Play Electric, Fender Sonoran Guitar, vArranger, Bose S1 Pros, Bose L1 Compact, Aiwa Exos-9

#435526 - 08/03/17 11:41 AM Re: Ketron SD40 [Re: synerjim]
midisqueeze Offline

Loc: New York
Greatly appreciate you taking the time to respond with such a complete and thorough review. Very enlightening, though certainly disappointed to read about these issues.
I sent AJ a check earlier today for a new SD40 with the understanding that if it freezes at all within the first three months, I have the option to return for a complete refund (know some will think this should include the first year).
I'm retaining my MidJay Pro which is fantastic, EXCEPT, of course, for the unexpected freezing (twice last night during gig), as a backup unit in a pinch.
Your 2nd issue, i.e., Registration screen freezing frequently could be somewhat of a game changer for me, except it's a slight improvement over the unit freezing unexpectedly at the most inappropriate time during a song, and having to reboot the unit while some folks are looking your way with a puzzled look on their face (the worst feeling in the world).
Fortunately, I can keep some sounds going with the MusicTech digital accordion, but then there's the issue with the microphone also connected to the unit, unless you want to buy a separate harmonizer...
Another issue my friend found is 8) After replacing a voice in the current Voice List, the Voice List icon disappears and the unit requires re-booting to make it reappear.
If I had a dollar for every time someone says "I hope these issues will be addressed in the next OS update", I'd be a rich man smile.
Anyway, I'm currently diving into the KETRON SD40 TUTORIAL - FINAL.pdf which I just printed out hoping to save some time when the unit actually arrives.
Up side is AJ says I can transfer my current REGISTRATIONS (over 100) from my MJPro. Also, I can mirror all the settings I've already spent hours making to the MJPro. Plus, there are many similarities with the MJPro. Hopefully, this will lessen the time needed to get up and running...
I resent having to shell out this kind of money for a component, when I just bought a similar one less than two years ago. Actually, I exchanged my first MJPro when it continually froze. Replacement does the same thing. Feel like the guy who married someone after divorcing two of their siblings. I'll try to keep you posted.
Thanks,
Jerry

#435529 - 08/03/17 12:11 PM Re: Ketron SD40 [Re: synerjim]
Ketron User Offline

Originally Posted By synerjim

1) When you change style variations, frequently it will revert back to same variation (i.e. var A to var C it will revert back to var A)

Hello,

My SD40 does this also...
I press the Variation-button twice, then it change to the desired Variation.

I hope this will be fixed with a new Update.

I wonder, does the SD7 react the same way ?

Regards,
Carlo

#435675 - 08/07/17 02:33 AM Re: Ketron SD40 [Re: midisqueeze]
tastenfuzzi Offline

Registration select "freezes" when the Half Screen mode is activated in PLAYER. You have to switch between the REGS and PLAYER button one time, then it should work.
Anyway, it`s a bug...

#435678 - 08/07/17 04:56 AM Re: Ketron SD40 [Re: midisqueeze]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
I own 2 Ketron SD7s and I have not had any issues with it when using the factory or Ajamsonic resources. I have however had it freeze up when auditioning some old Ketron legacy styles from older Ketron products. I gig with my SD7s just about daily.

Deane

#435684 - 08/07/17 06:40 AM Re: Ketron SD40 [Re: hammer]
Ketron User Offline

Hello Deane,

When changing style variations, it will revert back to the same variation (i.e. var A to var C it will revert back to var A)

Is this also true on the SD7 ?

Regards,
Carlo

#435687 - 08/07/17 08:00 AM Re: Ketron SD40 [Re: Ketron User]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Carlo,
I have not had any issues with either of my SD7s. No, if I change variations it stays on the variation I selected. Like I said, after 2 years of gigging with my Sd7 I have not had any
issues like folks are mentioning.

Deane

#435699 - 08/07/17 11:57 AM Re: Ketron SD40 [Re: midisqueeze]
Ketron User Offline

Hello Deane,

Thank You.

This must be a bug in the SD40...
I hope there comes a fix for that.

Regards,
Carlo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry, Ketron_AJ, Tonewheeldude