SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#435546 - 08/03/17 04:04 PM Re: Merish 4 MIDI Mp3 Backing Track Player & VH [Re: Dnj]
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
Originally Posted By Dnj
Bill I agree it does have some very interesting features and vocal harmony too.Plus the singer is so hot!!

Didn't watch the whole video.
Does the singer come with the unit?
I'll take 2 units ....
Eric

Edited by Eric, B (08/03/17 04:05 PM)

#435548 - 08/03/17 04:07 PM Re: Merish 4 MIDI Mp3 Backing Track Player & VH [Re: Eric, B]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Eric, B
Originally Posted By Dnj
Bill I agree it does have some very interesting features and vocal harmony too.Plus the singer is so smokin` hot!!

Didn't watch the whole video.
Does the singer come with the unit?
I'll take 2 units ....
Eric

Go back and watch it again all the way thru...

#435549 - 08/03/17 04:22 PM Re: Merish 4 MIDI Mp3 Backing Track Player & VH [Re: Eric, B]
Torch Offline

I had been following on this company that makes the Merish. It is an Italian company http://www.m-live.com/en/ I thought about getting one but decided to go software.
"You Shall Know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free." John 8:32

#435550 - 08/03/17 04:30 PM Re: Merish 4 MIDI Mp3 Backing Track Player & VH [Re: Torch]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Torch
I had been following on this company that makes the Merish. It is an Italian company http://www.m-live.com/en/ I thought about getting one but decided to go software.

Do you play out with software or?

#435551 - 08/03/17 04:33 PM Re: Merish 4 MIDI Mp3 Backing Track Player & VH [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
What is missing with all these gadgets is the visual effect and impact of a performing musician/entertainer. The audience can see you playing a guitar, keyboard, piano, synth, etc... They know it is YOU creating that music - LIVE! With the advanced record player/karaoke machine there is a significant part of the entertainment missing. This ain't rocket science. Those visual effects are a big draw - no question about it, despite what Donny predicts.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#435554 - 08/03/17 05:02 PM Re: Merish 4 MIDI Mp3 Backing Track Player & VH [Re: Dnj]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Originally Posted By Dnj
Bill I agree it does have some very interesting features and vocal harmony too. Plus the singer is smokin` hot!!

If I could hook up with a singer like that I could book 7 nights a week, not that I want to now.
Worked with a few talented girls and they make booking a 1000 times easier.

#435557 - 08/03/17 06:19 PM Re: Merish 4 MIDI Mp3 Backing Track Player & VH [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I agree, Bill - but as you and many of us are well aware, finding a drop-dead, gorgeous gal that can stand in front of a live audience and belt out those tunes is akin to being struck by lightning, though if I recall, Fran had a couple working with him for many years on the beach.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#435563 - 08/03/17 08:27 PM Re: Merish 4 MIDI Mp3 Backing Track Player & VH [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
OK, a couple of things ...

First of all, I guess I'm old, very particular, or both, because I did not see a smokin' hot chick in that video ...

Now, about the unit - I can see it being used in some venues, especially if it is to augment the sound of a 2 - 3 piece group. It certainly seems to have a lot of good features, for someone who does not want to - or cannot - transport a keyboard around.
Of course the video was staged, but I found it interesting that the people in the background were socializing, and not really dancing - but I guess if this 'box' were hooked up to a good PA system with a thumping bass, people would dance.

As for tracks vs 'live' music, again it depends on the venue ... I think we all have seen dance clubs with DJs and crowded dance floors - well, is this any different? If people are going out to dance, as long as the music is stuff they know, is loud, and is thumping, they will dance ...

However, if I am going to see a vocalist or musician perform, do I want them performing to backing tracks all night? I don't think so - BUT, that being said, I have seen those three young, great Italian singers - "Il VOLO" live in concert with an orchestra of about 16 players, and yet each one of them did one solo each to a backing track of a full symphony orchestra and singers.

As for the gigs many of us on this board play - NH/AL/Sr Centers, etc. those audiences do not care if we are playing an instrument or not. What they want is to be 'entertained'. I work gigs as a soloist with my KORG Pa900 and I also work gigs with a female vocalist using only 'backing tracks'. When we work one of those gigs, do people come up and say "OH, you didn't play any instruments" ? NO!!! they come up and say things like "we love your voices", "You two sing so well together", "We love your singing, especially the duets", etc. etc., etc. ...
At a couple of AL places I work, I am one of the very few who actually plays an instrument - even though I know that some of the other performers play keys, or guitar very well. They just don't want to go through the trouble of transporting and setting up additional equipment.
I also find, that performing strictly as a vocalist using 'backing tracks', I have a certain amount of 'freedom' as an "entertainer", while performing with the keyboard gives me a different 'freedom' to express myself as a "musician".

Now, as far as the future of music goes, the entertainment section of our newspaper on Thursday is filled with listings of what musician/singer/band is playing where (and chas, there are a good number of Jazz venues also). Now some of these 'acts' are 'tributes' where a guy does a Buble act, or another does Sinatra, or another does Dean Martin, all using 'backing tracks, but for the most part there are good musicians playing their instruments, so I am fairly confident that 'live' music will be around for a while yet ...
And as long as I am still around doing what I do, while I really enjoy being a 'vocalist', I will prefer to perform with my keyboard ...

#435579 - 08/04/17 04:30 AM Re: Merish 4 MIDI Mp3 Backing Track Player & VH [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
The box has a lot of nice features and functions but wouldn't it be hard for a solo performer to control 'live' on stage? It's nice that most things seem to have a dedicated button, slider, etc., but that seems like an awful lot for 'older' performers to remember, especially since they can't even seem to remember to hit a 'fill' button once in awhile on their arrangers smile. Seems to me most of those controls are intended for 'live', on-the-fly control. I guess you could pre-program a lot of it but doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of the machine? Don't know about the rest of you but I have to re-learn how to use my smartphone every day smile (I can now sucessfully answer 1 out of every 3 calls---where's my damn flip phone).

Love the technology but don't know if I'd want to sit through two solid hours of vocals. But that's just me.

chas

#435580 - 08/04/17 04:58 AM Re: Merish 4 MIDI Mp3 Backing Track Player & VH [Re: cgiles]
Dnj Offline

Sounds like an old age home discussion in here...sheeeeesh coffee
playing automatic styles is not the definitive Mecca of the Music world. You'd be surprised at what the human talent can produce musically. Open your mind, let the new in with the old & beyond, believe me it makes a great recipe if you allow it. I'm so glad we have so many choices now. As for the haters & deniers they don't exist in my world of music. Have a great day! keys

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online