SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#435180 - 07/29/17 01:24 AM Chris Botti and Sting perform My Funny Valentine
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA

#435367 - 08/01/17 04:44 AM Re: Chris Botti and Sting perform My Funny Valentine [Re: Nigel]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Boy oh boy! I'm so conflicted about this performance. One of my all-time favorite songs plus one of the best, most tasteful piano accompaniments, plus Botti's soulful interpretation (and playing)......and then there's Sting. Sorry, I'm just not a big fan. I admire the fact that he has used his celebrity and pop/rock credentials to bring more exposure to (good) jazz, but I pretty much share Wynton Marsalis' assessment of him when his brother (Branford) was playing with him (I won't repeat it here). BTW, love Chet Baker's version; I'd like to say that's the definitive version but then there's Miles version and so many other great performances of this super tune. Sting's wife DOES have that classic 'thinking man's' look, though. She will be striking on into old age.

Great video, though. I read a lot of the comments. Doesn't seem to be much middle ground; loved it or hated it. A couple of (obviously knowledgeable) people DID pick up on that wonderful piano accompaniment, though.

chas

#435391 - 08/01/17 10:07 AM Re: Chris Botti and Sting perform My Funny Valentine [Re: cgiles]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Absolutely the primary reason, at age 10, I decided to play jazz.
Wonderful song, which can be "knocked out of the park" with varying interpretations. My favorite is the one by Kenny Rankin.i play it every night I work.

Like Chas, I was never really blown away by anything Sting ever did....well, the claim to have tantric sex (8 or more straight hours...whew!)is petty impressive. Even his bass playing has always sounded uninspired, to me.

Suffice it to say, he has used his status to be an ardent supporter of jazz. That's a good thing.

Russ

#435399 - 08/01/17 12:42 PM Re: Chris Botti and Sting perform My Funny Valentine [Re: Nigel]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Branford Marsalis used to brag that whatever you thought of Sting's music, his band (with pianist Kenny Kirkland) could blow away any rock band on the planet smile. He DID know how to surround himself with talent.

chas

#435570 - 08/03/17 11:45 PM Re: Chris Botti and Sting perform My Funny Valentine [Re: captain Russ]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Originally Posted By captain Russ
Even his bass playing has always sounded uninspired, to me.
Russ

I have to disagree Russ. When you listen to his bass lines they are very much more syncopated than most rock bass lines but still propel the music he is playing. Most rock bass lines are very much plain 4 on the floor style. In The Police the rhythm section was never standard rhythm. Sting and Stuart Copeland played very interesting rhythms that were very difficult to cover. It was always quite complex.

#435571 - 08/03/17 11:52 PM Re: Chris Botti and Sting perform My Funny Valentine [Re: Nigel]
Nigel Offline
Admin

I really enjoy this performance by Robert Downey Jr with Sting "Driven To Tears". I especially love the lead guitarist. Robert really does a great job of channeling Sting.

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online