SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#434582 - 07/18/17 03:17 AM Kn7000 to Korg Pa4x
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I have been a technics user since the Kn2000. I owned and sold four Kn7000; I was looking for a Kn8000 – and upgrade from the keyboard I loved, Kn7000.

The Yamaha S970, returned it, it was not for me. The Korg 900, it was just OK. I have owned a Tyros 3, a Psr 910, and a KMA; none took the place of my Kn7000.

I now own a Korg Pa4x --- I finally found my next step up from the Kn7000. It will do everything the Kn7 does and more. There is one problem; the learning a new operating system. I had to forget what I knew about Technics and relearn the new OS. Not an easy task but with the tutorials that are available and a little patients you will be more than satisfied. It is as if they took the features from the Kn7000 and Wersi and improved them.

My reason for this post – Just to share my excitement and contentment.

PS, Some of the Pa4x users are using a tablet or an IPad and connected them to their Pa4x. When they select a song on the keyboard, the tablet or IPad displays the same song automatically. Wow, a touch of space age. (smile)

#434682 - 07/19/17 06:39 AM Re: Kn7000 to Korg Pa4x [Re: bruno123]
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
What replaces the panel memories of the Technics in the PA4X may I ask?

#434696 - 07/19/17 08:48 AM Re: Kn7000 to Korg Pa4x [Re: RMepstead]

Roger the Pa4x has SongBook where all your songs are stored. You can filter the songs accordion to a code.

EX:
1-AA for big band slow
2-BB for big band up tempo
3-CC for slow rock Ect-------

Then you have 11 Set List (panel memory) which contain 14 songs in each of the 11 set list with all the information. You also have an additional 11 Set List which stores instrumentation.
The songbook can call up yours songs, Mp3s, Lyrics, Recorded sequences, and more.

I use my IPad for the lyrics and chords. The IPad and SongBook are in sync. I am now working on connecting the keyboard and the IPad with midi so that I press the song I want on the keyboard and the IPad displays the same song. I hear that it can also be done in reverse – Ipad to Keyboard.
There is more Roger, but the keyboard is still new to me.

Take care, John C.

PS, Press two adjacent buttons while I am playing a song and my chord sequence records as a loop. The sequence continues non-stop leaving my two hands to do whatever. Like the Kn7 the sequence can be played with any style including the OTS, Pads, intro, endings, styles and fills

#434801 - 07/21/17 05:43 AM Re: Kn7000 to Korg Pa4x [Re: bruno123]
RMepstead Offline

I was thinking more of multiple settings for a single song which you can set up in KN7000 in panel memories and then use a foot pedal to move from setting to setting...very often I use 8 settings for a single song.
Is there an equivalent to that in the PA4X, John?

#434827 - 07/21/17 03:35 PM Re: Kn7000 to Korg Pa4x [Re: RMepstead]

Roger there are 11 panel memories as you call them Korg calls them SetList. Each set list has 14 memories spots (places) to store a setting.

If I am correct you have room for 11 songs with 14 settings in each one without loading. I have to research your pedal question. Roger keep this in mind – you are used to doing a job the Technics way. Other keyboards accomplish the same job their own way. The final product is what is important.

Have you used YouTube to compare both keyboards.
I see many features that had to come from Technics and Wersi. They are not exactly the same but they are improved, and do the same job.

AND there is much more. I had a Kn7000 next to my Pa900 – The technics was beautiful as it always is. But if there are dancers or you are putting on a show the Pa4x will be way out front. It is more exciting.

Download the manual and do a bit of reading.

Roger this video it will make you smile.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-y_YM1ikva0

I had doubts so I kept my Kn7000 until I bought a Korg Pa900; then played them side by side. We all hear our own way my friend. Your ears have listened to Technics for many years, any change will be a challenge.

Take care, John C.

#434843 - 07/22/17 02:03 AM Re: Kn7000 to Korg Pa4x [Re: bruno123]

Roger it looks like the pedal can control the SetList section. And give you what you want. I ordered a pedal, when it comes in I’ll give it a try.

John C.

#435044 - 07/25/17 03:37 PM Re: Kn7000 to Korg Pa4x [Re: bruno123]
nsr007 Offline

Loc: USA
Hi, John -

It's been a long time since I have posted. I seldom ever check out the forum anymore. "Those that can't, teach" are either dead or don't seem to post anymore. (smile) Anyway, I want to thank you for posting about the Korg Pa4x. Congratulations on owning one.

I have a few questions hopefully you can answer. I see also posts on YouTube of a Korg Pa4x 2 what is the difference? Is this a later version? Checking out a few videos of very talented players, I am impressed with the keyboard but also not so impressed. No one has mentioned speakers in the keyboard. I don't see any unless they are at the sides of the instrument. If no speakers in the keyboard, no interest in my owning one. I don't want to have to hook up speakers when I am doing arrangements. I expect sound to be right in front of me. It is one thing to carry speakers on a job but not being at home working on arrangements.

I laughed at one post on a video on YouTube stating that the sound of the keyboard sounds like a cheap Casio. I don't go along with that but some of the sounds sound compressed. A couple of videos played the same big band intro and the horn section sounded so muffled and not part of the same sound of the other instruments. Also, apparently to get the most out of the keyboard, you have to really use your fingers a lot away from playing. It seemed to me that all that played were constantly changing keys and touching the screen. To me, this breaks the concentration of playing. I haven't seen a video on customizing sounds or the use of the sequencer. Also, no mention of actually doing your own (from scratch) style. It seems everything is focused on midi or built-in styles to change--nothing mentioned or shown about doing your own complete style.

I was much impressed with the sound of the pianos. And we thought the KN7000 had a good piano! One thing that is most impressive is the loss of the loop sound--ugh! There is plenty enough of it in the KN7000.

What's it all mean, I wouldn't mind at all having the keyboard but this would require all the work I put in the KN7000 lost other than recordings I have made with big arrangements. Speaking of, is there any way to load styles and songs from the KN7 to the Korg Pa4x?

Thanks, again for posting.

Best regards,

Scott

#435061 - 07/26/17 08:30 AM Re: Kn7000 to Korg Pa4x [Re: bruno123]
RMepstead Offline

Couple of things I can answer there Scott. There is a speaker which is added on and runs right along the back of the keyboard....good sound quality too.
KN7 styles most definitely do NOT work in the Korg PA4X and would need some software to convert from Technics to Korg...not cheap.
Basically the PA4X is another Arranger keyboard employing the latest technology such as USB memory sticks; touch screen etc but with a totally different operating system to the Technics range of keyboards...my friend has one and I need to think differently when doing a set up to play a song.

#435073 - 07/26/17 12:31 PM Re: Kn7000 to Korg Pa4x [Re: nsr007]

Hi Scott, let’s start with why I sold, at different times, four different Kn7 keyboards. There will never be another Kn7000 keyboard; it was one of a kind. It is simple thinking --- every one-of-a-kind keyboard had its time. They all became obsolete because the new keyboards offer more.

No keyboard today will play Glenn Miller like the Kn7. I had a Kn7 on one side of my studio and a Tyros – Korg Pa800 --- Korg Pa900—and a Pa4x on the other. After a while I had played the Kn7, so I sold them. Keep in mind that this happened over a period of ten years.

Is there a learning curve? Yes there is, it thinks differently. I owned Technics from the Kn2000 to the Kn7000; I never missed the new model. That equals approximately twenty some odd years. My brain was all about Technics. There is a price to pay when you change keyboards. The alternative is to stay with a keyboard that is hard to get repaired, hardly gets talked about any more, and has few friends (compare to other keyboards) to talk to about the Kn7. The great days of the Kn7, and the Bebops (spelling) are gone. I wanted a new family, the new ideas (options) that the keyboards were offering. Had a Yamaha S970 for two weeks and traded it back for a Pa4x. – it had many of the same features (options) that the Kn7 did.

Speakers; There are no speakers I the Pa4x.
If you play out use the same speakers to play at home. If you use different speakers to program at home there will be a difference when you play out.
Playing and programing at home: There is a Korg speaker that attaches to the back of the Pa4x – sound great. The price is $499.99. I have an old Z2200 computer speaker I use for simple enjoyment. It was popular here on the Technics forum. When I programing for a job I use my Bose compact.

I lost my wife in 1994, can you imagine how much of a learning curve I had to go through. (Sorry my sick sense of humor)

Scott it is all about you enjoying a challenge. I made the change when I was 81 years old.

These are only my opinion – I hope I’m helping, John C.

#435082 - 07/26/17 08:16 PM Re: Kn7000 to Korg Pa4x [Re: bruno123]
nsr007 Offline

Loc: USA
John, thanks very much for your response. You stated things very clearly. Before I go further, I want to thank Rog for his comments. I smile in thinking about this add-on speaker--a Dixie cup and string. ha ha. Seriously, I am sure it sounds good. I still wish and think that companies should always put speakers in portable keyboards. Traveling, having to add a speaker is a drawback.

John and Rog, since I know nothing about midi but know that it can be downloaded into keyboards and in the case of the Pa4x, why can't you take arrangements and ideas from the KN7 and put them into the computer as a midi file and use them like a typical midi? What is the difference? I can understand trying to take a cable from the KN7 into the Pa4x and it not working but made as a midi file, it seems that it should enter in the keyboard as a standard midi file. It would be so nice to take what I have done in the KN7 and improve the sounds in the Pa4x or make a few changes.

John, you didn't say anything about my seeing a 2 after the Pa4x. Is this a newer version or something that can be downloaded into the keyboard for more sounds? There are many videos on YouTube that I haven't brought up. Many are in foreign languages, which makes it difficult to understand.

How different is this keyboard from the KN7 with working in a Composer type to do your own from scratch styles?

John, you certainly are a brave soul making the change when you were 81. Right on!!! Sorry about losing your wife.

You are so right about keyboards and everything else, including humans with becoming obsolete. Big laughs.

Best,

Scott

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online