SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#4346 - 10/30/06 01:29 AM Re: Vinatge Gear: Why is it still so popular to own?
analogcontrolfreak Offline

WOW! There has not been a reply to this thread in three years. Yet it still manages to blow my mind, that a thread I started three years ago, is still on here. I alawyas thought that after at least a year, Nigel would delete them from this BBS.

BTW: I used to be Paul-61, now I am analogcontrolfreak.

#4347 - 10/30/06 06:29 AM Re: Vinatge Gear: Why is it still so popular to own?
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
The other night, a young customer asked me where I got the antique guitar (a 52 ES 295). I had to tell him I bought it NEW!

Sadly, my B-3, Suitacse Rhodes, DX-7, 52 Tele, Whirlitzer piano, 63 Jazz bass and many others were instruments I bought new and just couldn't get rid of.

That comes from and old, sentimental pack-rat.

I LOVE em!

(Very Interesting Posts, by the way...thanks!).

Russ

#4348 - 10/30/06 10:49 AM Re: Vinatge Gear: Why is it still so popular to own?
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
This is a very good thread Paul and I'm glad you've posted it when you did. There aren't too many like it and it is good to see a thread about good old gear. Even good new gear. Seeing Nigel talk about a Virus C or Captain Russ post about keeping his old DX7 etc is exactly the things that made me come back to this forum. Talk about synths. That's what synthzone is all about for me.

I guess the threads are kept for as long as there is enough memory on Nigel's HD. Funny how just a couple of years ago the BBS was closed because of a hard disk failure. Yet all of our old posts are still here. More so, the forum rules permit us to reply to threads that were posted ages ago. Something that not too many forum administrators allow.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that this is still a great forum and there is a lot of cool discussion going on. I even don't mind the newbs posting about plugging their Microkorgs into a guitar amp or a refrigirator etc (Sorry just kidding there).

SZ lives on.
-ED-

#4349 - 10/30/06 11:00 AM Re: Vinatge Gear: Why is it still so popular to own?

I just finsihed reading this thread, and a lot has happened to me, in the past three years. One: I recently came to the realization, that I am not a musican, and can not really play. Basicaly I was forceing myslef to play, to justify owning a synth. Which I have learned is not a good thing, becuse you loose any creativity in the process. I have a never thread on here that goes into more detial. "Taking a Break from Electronic Music."

TWO: The Minmoog that I suposedly bought, was a scam. There was no Minimoog, I lost $350.00, unkowingly too help someone escape out of Isreal. That, was my second mistake, buying outside the US. Especially from the Middle East. Remember, if it sounds to good to be true, it probbably isn't.

Three: I recently bought my thrid Poly-61 and a K-61 controller keyboard. Both of which are not being used. The reason why I am not useing them, is not becuase they are bad keyboards, but that they were not what I wanted. Also I lost interest in Software synthesizers.

Equalizer, had asked me a serious question, back when I started this thread. "Why do you want a Minimoog?" There are sevral reason why I would like one. The Minmoog, has knobs and switches, and ever since I was young I have always like things that had knobs and switches. The minimoog, has no pre-programed sounds, nor a way of storeing your sounds. There is no dispaly, or hundreds of menues to scroll through, or endless button pushing. Plus when you make a mistake, sometimes the mistake produces, a sound that you were not acheiving. Also having had the oppertunity, to mess about with a Minimoog, fueld my fire, to owning my own. Sadly, that idea, has slipped out of my grasp. Becuse when these thing were at a price I could afford, I did not have a money. Manily becuse I was still in High School. However, when I finnaly became employed, and had the money to afford one, people started to rediscover them, and that started to drive the price back up. Almost to the point, of when they were new. Then a few years latter when Bob Moog got the use of his name back, and started Moog Muisc, again and made a new mini. I thought, I had a chance to by one. But alas, that never happend either, becuse the new mini was even more expensive then, the orignal. I even tried the Minimoog V, from Arturia, but it's not the same. At least not for me, since they progrmaed in presets, and you have to use a mouse to manipulate the sounds.

Snce then, I have come to realize, that I will most likely never own a Minimoog, becuse of the price. I will also sell off the Poly-61 and K-61, becuse they have no knobs, and have presets. I have however, considered buying a Synthesizers.com Modular system, becuse they pretty much have everything that I want in a synthesizer. That to me is what a syntheiszer should be. Of course the Minimoog fits in there as well, just slightly smaller, and no patch cords.

[This message has been edited by analogcontrolfreak (edited 10-30-2006).]

#4350 - 10/31/06 01:07 AM Re: Vinatge Gear: Why is it still so popular to own?
Justin Gazda Offline

Loc: Marietta GA, USA
I'm still wondering why the Juno series is the reference point for everything. I mean, not that they sound bad or anything, but Roland had one thing in mind when they made them, and that was that they be CHEAP.

I'm a JX-3P man myself.

VA synths are okay, depending on which kind you get.

Roland VA synths have mp3 like resolution.
Nord is much better. Even their patches are more inspired.

But does VA sound analog? Absolutley not. I'm inclined to think VA has its own unique sound.

In other words, Analog synths can't sound like VA.

They both have their neat bits.

I plugged a pair of headphones into the prophet 10 and was playing some thick chords. Even with no effects, it was an orchestra.

Think about this. In a VA, you are relying on a DAC to be an oscillator, filter, lfo, everything. if there is a weak spot, thats where it is.

#4351 - 10/31/06 06:51 AM Re: Vinatge Gear: Why is it still so popular to own?
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Quote:
I'm a JX-3P man myself.

You know, just as I was reading the bit you wrote about the Juno I thought to myself:
"JX-3P!".

I miss mine. Sold it to put the money towards other gear and I'm stil kicking myself for having done so. It was a blast to program. No PWM, unison and no portamento but who gives a toss? It had plenty to offer and the sound may be didn't do for bass but it was a hell of a synth pad machine. A few of my early tracks ar basically written around JX-3P pad sounds. Nothing else could quite do the same thick, resonant and heavily chorused swells, sweeps etc.

Came across a used JX-8P and a JX-10 just a few days ago. Just not the same synths. Not sure if its the response, the envelopes but its as if something is seriously missing. It felt nearly as disappointing as playing a D-70 after using a D-50 for ten years. Its as if some of the synth you love is in there somewhere but the features you like and rely on just don't work the same way.

-ED-

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 10-31-2006).]

#4352 - 10/31/06 09:44 AM Re: Vinatge Gear: Why is it still so popular to own?

One of the points, I should have made was the growing trend of people buying not only analog synthesizers, but also early electric pianos, and organs. What amazes me, is that even though there are a lot of electronic/digital instruments, that recreate the sound of early electic instruments, and analog synthesizers. Many people still prefer analog to digtial.

#4353 - 10/31/06 10:08 PM Re: Vinatge Gear: Why is it still so popular to own?
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
I still own one dead Roland JX-8P for parts and a working JX-8P with a PG-800 programmer. I just love old synths. I still haven't heard any digital emulation that comes close to my JX-8P. Though I do like my Waldorf Pulse which is a great analog mono synth.

#4354 - 10/31/06 10:13 PM Re: Vinatge Gear: Why is it still so popular to own?
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Hey I like old synths so much I have my own website called http://www.synthzone.com .... you may have heard of it.

#4355 - 11/02/06 03:26 PM Re: Vinatge Gear: Why is it still so popular to own?

It's pretty wild, to have one of my old posts, resurected after three years.

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online