SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#434290 - 07/12/17 09:25 PM Switching to a more secure Web Browser
Torch Offline

I'd like to share this with you all; something to think about.

I had been using an incredibly handy and fast web browser "made in China." It also manages all my passwords in the cloud across the devices that I own. Lots of neat and handy "hacking" features. However, I've always had some concerns about security, but the browser was so useful and I was lazy to do anything about it. I decided to do a little research and found out that users' sensitive data is sent to a server in Beijing without users's permission. That was it. I settled with Epic Privacy Browser. Tor Browser is excellent, but inconvenient for daily browsing activity due to it security features. I only use it whenever I book hotels and air tickets. If I log in from my US IP address, hotels and airliners charge me more!!!(I mentioned this before on this forum that if you book from an IOS/Mac device, you will be charged more, too.) Tor Browser masquerades my IP address as coming from Germany or other countries in the world and I get better rates even from hotels and airliners of which I am a member. For my password management, I am using a free cloud based service called Encrypter and KeePass 2.

A web hosting company in one Asia country was attacked last month and infected with ransomware. It is one thing that the company agreed to pay one million dollars to the thieves, but it is another that the rest of the country is concerned that this will encourage other hackers to attack individuals and companies in their country. Well, you should not pay ransom, but the web hosting company would go bankrupt as their clients have no access to their data. So they settled on one million dollar payment in Bitcoin. We often read in the news that many of these hacking activities originate with North Korea going through China.
"You Shall Know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free." John 8:32

#434299 - 07/13/17 04:26 AM Re: Switching to a more secure Web Browser [Re: Torch]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Nice find, thanks for the tip!

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online