SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#4336 - 02/25/03 09:42 AM Re: Vinatge Gear: Why is it still so popular to own?
Equalizer Offline

Loc: Scotland
Paul, I checked out that Edirol thing, but unfortunately it only has 32 or 49 keys depending on which model you go for.

I too have been on the lookout for an inexpensive midi controller keyboard with assignable knobs and/or sliders for ages. I cannot BELIEVE that nobody out there has manufactured one yet!!!

I think Evolution come closest to the mark so far with their MK-361C. However, at £180 I still think that it's a little bit overpriced.

There is no need for these keyboards to be expensive as far as I'm aware. They are simple products that use technologies that have been out there for years!

The demand for an inexpensive midi controller keyboard with assignable knobs/sliders is SKY HIGH! The first company who produce and sell these things cheaply will (quite rightly) make millions!

So far, there are a few really expensive ones and a few cheap and tacky ones (which are also a bit overpriced, I think).

The search for a decent midi controller keyboard goes on...

#4337 - 02/25/03 09:44 AM Re: Vinatge Gear: Why is it still so popular to own?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Good becuse I don't want any major arguements. I will tell you this I downloaded a demo version of NI's Absynth and was quiet impressed with it, even without having a keyboard controller, although having one would be helpfull.

I think you had asked me why I bought a Minimoog. The real reason is becuse of all those knobs and switches. I like being able to grap a knob and twist it physically. That's probably why I also like a lot of vintage gear, because of all those knobs. Of course with the Advent of instrumnets like the JP8000, Nord Lead's and the MS2000. There are newere synths with knobs once again. Even controller keyboards are now comming with knobs on them as well. So you can enjoy a lot of theses virtual synths even more.

Incedently I still say you should buy a Juno-6 while you have the oppertunity. But I would also consider getting a good Software synth, and buy a controller keyboard that has knobs. Because that's basiclly what makes people like me and a few others as well enjoy synthesizers.

BTW some of my eraliest toys had knobs on them of some sort. So that is the other reason why I like synths like the Minimoog.

#4338 - 02/25/03 10:07 AM Re: Vinatge Gear: Why is it still so popular to own?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well 32 or 49 would be alright for me since I don't have a lot of desk space to put a 61 note keybaord on, and my Omni is sitting on my keybaord stand, in my living room.

I will agree with you on the fact the Edirol controller keyboards are a bit pricy, even at $200.00 here in the States. The cheapest one i have found was the Midiman Oxygen 8 but that is still $120.00 US. Other than that the only others are Novation's Bass Station. But those only have what 24 keys?

BTW: I see this thread has 41 posts and 2 pages now. WOW!

#4339 - 02/25/03 10:16 AM Re: Vinatge Gear: Why is it still so popular to own?
tekminus Offline

The Juno (106 atleast) has a very standard sound and is easily copied. I've made some string patches on my Nords, that sound exactly like the 106. Not that they're bad.

I remember reading an old Roland JV-1080 review, when it was new, and the reviewer thought the Juno string samples were the best in that box. New goundbreaking synths from the past.

-tek

#4340 - 02/25/03 11:00 AM Re: Vinatge Gear: Why is it still so popular to own?
800dv Offline

Loc: atlanta, georgia, usa
Go to http://www.steinberg.net to check on a Model E demo . The Midi Man Oxygen 8 is the Most affordable controller with knobs that I know of - $139.99 .

#4341 - 02/25/03 01:17 PM Re: Vinatge Gear: Why is it still so popular to own?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks 800dv I was just there, the only problem is the Demos they have are only sound demos. You can not download a demo copy of the Modle E to try out before you buy. Like you can with some of the soft synths at NI's website. Although NI's dose not have a copy of the Modle E anyways.

#4342 - 02/25/03 10:19 PM Re: Vinatge Gear: Why is it still so popular to own?
800dv Offline

Loc: atlanta, georgia, usa
They may not have a demo . It's a VST instrument and requires a host program like Cubase or Logic Audio . Atleast there are some sound samples , sometimes Steinberg can be a bit stingy .

#4343 - 02/25/03 10:25 PM Re: Vinatge Gear: Why is it still so popular to own?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Okay so I would have to have Cubase in order to use the Model E. That's kind of a bummer, I prefer the soft synths like Absynth where you don't need another program to use it. I never understood this concept of need on particlaur software package like Cubase to run a synth program like the Model E.

Well I think what I will do now, is first wait for my Minimoog to arrive. Save some money on the side (sell some stuff on ebay). And then look into buying a controller keyboard, and some soft synths as well. I will have to hold off on buying an MS2000, that's not in my imediate future.

#4344 - 02/25/03 11:26 PM Re: Vinatge Gear: Why is it still so popular to own?
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Equalizer, you mention soft synths replicating the sounds of analog synths. What they are doing is modeling analog circuitry. In a perfect world the replication would be 100% identical but that isn't always the case although synth modeling is still capable of producing some very impressive sounds using modeling algorithms based on analog components. FM7 from NI is a different case as FM is a digital algorithm that can be implemented exactly on a computer as it was on the original DX7 and following FM modules. There is no reason FM7 should sound any different from the DX7 using the same patch other than the quality of your soundcard. There is a big difference modeling digital synths versus analog synths. Digital synths can be replicated 100% accurately unlike analog synths.

But having said this I was recently knocked out by the sound of an Access Virus C which had plenty of analog character despite being modeled synthesis. I guess companies are refining and improving their modeling algorithms all the time. But the price of new modeled gear is still well in excess of the real thing so the choice is still clear for me. But that may change with time. For people composing on a PC then soft synths have already broken that price barrier. I use keyboards live though and the prospect of relying on a laptop for sound is not so appealing.

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 02-25-2003).]

#4345 - 10/30/06 12:44 AM Re: Vinatge Gear: Why is it still so popular to own?
Tiitut Offline

Hi!

It was very nice to read the analyses above.

And, I think that now - after a few years - digital modeling, software synths, sampling etc. have still not come to replace the original analog synths in studios. I for example did just acquire myself a couple of Oberheims, i.e., Matrix-1000s and Xpanders. I also would have liked to get a Matrix-12, if the prices of those quite few available would not have gone up to the skies! A comparison with Tyros-2 made me happy in any case: Even though the samples in Tyros are of best quality I have heard in a digital keyboard, the voice of Matrix-1000, for example, is so sweet and there are so many nyances possible - without mentioning the Xpander!

Although I'm not anymore a young guy, I have practically no earlier experience with analog synths, forgetting me building multivibrators as a young boy tens of years ago. But, I have experince with a few different types of digital and acoustic instruments. Laying on that I see that sometimes the sound of my Oberheims are dull like that of those old-days multivibrators, but half of the time they possess warmth, which in my opinion is missing in the digital world. Myth or not, that is how I hear it.

And, I really do love the physical real-time knobs! In the digital world, on the other hand, I hate using the mouse - because I've got two hands with five fingers each, which function at least 10 times better and more accurately than a mouse. In addition, I don't like staring a computer screen although I have to do that all days long. I certaily don't want to become a "Jimi Hendrix" nor any other idol. I'm too old for thinking that ridiculously. BUT, I do want to get authentic sounds, and I want to play and investigate what can be found in the old analog world.

I might soon buy a Korg Radias, though. But, I'm certainly not selling those old synths. I admit that wanting to own something special - be it a vintage synth or antique - is an important factor, which is making vintage synths more and more expensive as well as rare. And, I have a feeling that the present day's synths may not be functioning at all after 20 years or so, especially, if they relay on PC software. In addition, their microchips are so small and the circuits so thin that corrosion would ruin them much quicker than their older counterparts - unless they are packed air-tightly or made of a more durable material like gold, for example.

Have a nice vintage dream!

Regards,
Tiitu.

[This message has been edited by Tiitut (edited 10-30-2006).]

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online