SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#434012 - 07/07/17 12:02 PM Re: Like it or Not This is Where it's Headed [Re: bruno123]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By bruno123
The wheel has turned; it’s another generation’s turn now.
And – it is not just their music; they are expressing what is inside them.
Happy camper, John C.
PS, I made a decision to let the new generation and their music exist; not that I have a choice. (smile) No room for negative thinking here.

Thanx for the reply John I can feel that you have an open mind to music... cool2

#434049 - 07/07/17 08:23 PM Re: Like it or Not This is Where it's Headed [Re: Dnj]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By Dnj
Originally Posted By KORG80
Seems like they use some kind of massive sampler and just press preset buttons.
,.....there is certainly a talent in both methods for sure

Yes..."there is certainly a talent in both methods." I watched almost the whole video and have to admire him for his creativity and imagination in putting that WAV file/MIDI file (?) together. It ain't easy. To those who think you just "press buttons" there's a lot more to it than that. Sure, you press buttons, but the button you press unleashes your work of art that you spent countless hours putting together. SKRILLEX does the same thing and he's made a fortune out of it.

disc jockey skrillex

Now you've got to remember that music reflects what is happening in society and what is needed at the time. During the Civil War and the two WW's, men had a myriad of songs to go into battle with or to sing "between" battles, because that's what was need in that period.

Then came the Roaring 20's. The war was over and people wanted to party and break loose from the constraints of WW1. Hence, we entered the Jazz Age. Then the Great Depression came and suddenly music became sullen if at all. And so on.

I'll never forget when I was working as a DJ. This kid asked for a song, and I asked him if "he really liked this idiotic, mindless song?" He replied no. I replied "then why do you want to hear it?" Answer: (speaking for himself and his peers) "because this kind of music gets our minds off our problems."

Fast forward to today. My belief is along those same lines. The pressure and confusion in the world today is so powerful and overwhelming that these mega-DJ's and their music do the same thing.....get your mind temporarily away from the disorder and uncertainty of everyday life in the modern world.

I personally think many of the audience in the video are stoned. Between weed and that hammering, non-stop sound, and the light show, you forget your problems for an hour or so. That doesn't happen listening to Moon River.

I also believe that this music is encouraged (by ?) to keep us in a constant state of flux and instability. No different than how television commercials and movies, (where no scene now lasts longer than 5 seconds) keeps your brain scrambled so you don't have time to (or you CAN'T) think about how we're being groomed into mindless robots by the elite, powers-that-be.

But......that's going off in another direction.

Mark

#434050 - 07/07/17 08:33 PM Re: Like it or Not This is Where it's Headed [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Great post Mark....very enjoyable reading thanks...

#434057 - 07/07/17 10:40 PM Re: Like it or Not This is Where it's Headed [Re: Dnj]
Bachus Offline

This is not where its headed, this is where it is, the question is, where are we heading?

Altough we need to keep in mind that there is still a strong rock/pop/singersongwriter culture alive among younger people.. this might be the biggest musical stream, but certainly not the only one...

And i must say, these mega dance parties are quite a lot of fun when you ar epart of them... the music and the beat surely make the body move...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#434059 - 07/08/17 12:09 AM Re: Like it or Not This is Where it's Headed [Re: Bachus]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
It's not so very different from discos in the late 70s and early 80s which also were just DJs filling venues. But while "instant music" has popularity that comes and goes it won't replace true musical artists. Youtube is packed with fantastic upcoming performers.

#434065 - 07/08/17 03:15 AM Re: Like it or Not This is Where it's Headed [Re: Bachus]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
“This is not where it’s headed, this is where it is, the question is, where are we heading?”

Like all things we can only guess where music is heading. Like most predictions we study the trail from what we can remember till today.
I believe that emotions in today’s music is expressed in volume and speed. I read that the musician today does not want to play with structure. #2 bars, 24 Bars, part A is repeated after part B.
A piano player on TV expressed these thoughts. He said I have no idea what I am going to play; I’ll know when I play it. There were no songs played, just chords and runs. Freedom, an extension of how he wants to live.

That’s the bad part. (opinion) Here’s the good part.

Progress: There are many precious things like music as we know it that will not be here anymore. BUT, the minds in this young generation are fantastic. They operate with no boundaries. They have freedom. Watch them operate phones, video games ---- and look around you; see what has been invented. I can go on a job with no wires for my speakers. I never would have thought of that.

Fear not we’re getting there, but some of it has to hurt.

My wife does not let me talk a lot so I got to do this. (smile)
John C.

#434077 - 07/08/17 07:30 AM Re: Like it or Not This is Where it's Headed [Re: Nigel]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Nigel
It's not so very different from discos in the late 70s and early 80s which also were just DJs filling venues. But while "instant music" has popularity that comes and goes it won't replace true musical artists. Youtube is packed with fantastic upcoming performers.

Nigel exactly,.....that era was the start of it all,.......
and look where we we are at now!! all these changes so fast in ONE Lifetime,...we are the last generation to see so many changes in our lives from the old ways to this new technology and many still resist as expected, but from here on out it's high tech all the way and beyond, I'd say not only in music but in everything in life itself.. cool2

#434192 - 07/10/17 07:54 PM Re: Like it or Not This is Where it's Headed [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

plays keyboard, Drum pads, Dj, Mixing, etc, ....
this guy does it all together............
it's happening people... cool2

#434195 - 07/10/17 10:30 PM Re: Like it or Not This is Where it's Headed [Re: Dnj]
Torch Offline

At the end of the video, there was this trio, and I clicked on it.
What relief to hear... music!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=iRFoT1yd-Ws
"You Shall Know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free." John 8:32

#434205 - 07/11/17 06:18 AM Re: Like it or Not This is Where it's Headed [Re: Torch]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Torch
At the end of the video, there was this trio, and I clicked on it.
What relief to hear... music!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=iRFoT1yd-Ws

Although it was a nice listen I'd doubt thia trio could make anyone especially today's kids get up party and dance....

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online