SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#433547 - 06/29/17 07:13 AM Midi Bass Pedals
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I am receiving Studiologic 13 bass pedals to day to use with my Nord Electro 61 in my band. I have a background with organ pedals, but I haven't had midi pedals since my 1985 Fatar. The only problem with the Nord is that it has but two channels, which means the pedals will be linked to the lower half of the split. By lowering the split point to C2, I can still play ensemble. Unfortunately, I don't play left hand bass.

However, If I used a separate module, I could regain my normal split. I only have an SD2 and SD4 that I use with my sequencer programs. I used to trigger sounds in my old keyboard, and even rhythm. My primary reason for pedals is for a fuller organ sound in a band with no bass player and just a piano to help with the bass.

I would appreciate any thoughts.

#433550 - 06/29/17 07:18 AM Re: Midi Bass Pedals [Re: Bernie9]
Dnj Offline

Bernie you certainly have your work cut out for you I hope it accomplishes what you need for you and the band...good luck.

#433551 - 06/29/17 07:22 AM Re: Midi Bass Pedals [Re: Bernie9]
Bernie9 Offline

Actually, when I am playing organ style, my feet automatically go for the pedals. I was a B3 and church organist for years. Thanks for the good wishes though.

#433556 - 06/29/17 10:30 AM Re: Midi Bass Pedals [Re: Bernie9]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Midi bass pedals usually allow you to choose the channel that they transmit on, so just use a channel that is not being used by the manuals, (Or key split) which are usually channels 1 & 2. (The Nord should be able to receive on any of the 16 channels, so just make sure you match with the pedalboard)

Hope this helps

Bill

#433558 - 06/29/17 11:30 AM Re: Midi Bass Pedals [Re: Bernie9]
Bernie9 Offline

Thank you Bill.

I know that it sends and receives on ch 1-16. When it arrives I will be able to tell if I have to share the lower split.

Bernie

#433559 - 06/29/17 11:51 AM Re: Midi Bass Pedals [Re: Bernie9]
Torch Offline

If what Bill suggested does not work on your Nord, Vb3 or B5 in your notebook might be an option. The updated version B5 is excellent. These two apps helped prevent me from buying lots of hardware though I have Vb3 loaded up in a vMachine. I purchased a vMachine for $150 a few years ago when it was discontinued.
"You Shall Know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free." John 8:32

#433561 - 06/29/17 01:56 PM Re: Midi Bass Pedals [Re: Bernie9]
Bernie9 Offline

Actually, I am afraid that is the case in reading Nord forum posts. The splits will a handle only one channel at a time. I have a VB3 and B4 license and I may have to go that route. I remember looking at the vMachine but it was quite a bit of money if I recall. It sounds like you got a good deal.

More later---Ups truck at the door.

#433563 - 06/29/17 02:06 PM Re: Midi Bass Pedals [Re: Bernie9]
Torch Offline

Bernie,

You can still buy a brand new v-Machine for $149 USD. Free worldwide shipping. This is where I bought it a few years ago. https://gearstation.com.au/products/sm-v-machine-vst-hardware-player

Yes, it used to be sold for $600. Good thing that I didn't pick it up at NAMM when they offered me a dicount. Since you have your VB3 license, all you have to do is enter your license as the plug-in is already loaded in the machine.

I might add that you will see some vendors selling the vMachine combined with SM Pro Audio Classic Keys Collection fro $299. That is an excellent deal, too if you want the plug-ins. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/8...Collection.html

After I bought my v_Machine, I learned about the Keys Collection, but nobody carried it anymore until I saw a dealer in Oregon listing it on eBay. I jumped on it and bought it for around $120. The software itself is worth $500-600 I didn't care for other analog sounds, but I wanted Key Performer, GForce Virtual String Machine(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBTnyxmRzTk), and Lounge Lizzard Session(electric pianos). I run these apps in the v-Machines and my hybrid notebook.

Edited by Torch (06/29/17 02:22 PM)
"You Shall Know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free." John 8:32

#433571 - 06/29/17 10:01 PM Re: Midi Bass Pedals [Re: Bernie9]
Marcus Offline

Loc: Canada
Hi Bernie
I use both the Fatar Studiologic 13 and the Roland PK-6 MIDI bass pedals. The MIDI out default channel for the Studiologic Pedals is channel 1.

Your Nord Electro should have a MIDI Setting Menu. You should have the option of setting the upper or lower split to receive midi channels 1-16 or set to off. Since your Nord will sense all midi channels 1-16, the default output channel 1 from the Studiologic pedals should be fine.

You can also manually set the octave up or down as needed on the Studiologic MIDI bass pedals. On my Roland PK-6 bass pedals, there is a neat function "Octaver Bass" which automatically sends a second midi note signal an octave lower to thicken up any organ voice. Works great on my Tyros Classical Organ voices in Organ world.

Good luck. You have so many options to use the pedals with all your fine keyboards and equipment.

Marcus

#433579 - 06/30/17 01:01 AM Re: Midi Bass Pedals [Re: Bernie9]
DAN.2000 Offline

Loc: FRANCE
You can use vArranger for it smile
The new version allow to use the MIDI IN 3 to play the BASS PEDAL

Dan
https://www.varranger.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online