SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#432933 - 06/14/17 07:33 AM How much is music part of your life?
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Have you ever thought what your life would be without music? This week my wife and I are house sitting for my daughter and I did not bring a keyboard. I have several gigs this week but will go home to get equipment and go from there.

Anyway, several times, after being bored with television, I found myself just aimlessly walking around the house and it dawned on me that what I really wished I could do was sit down at my keyboard and just play for a while. I often play for several hours at a time if I am not on a gig and I guess it has really become a habit.

For me music has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. I was raised in a household of entertainers. In the late 1920's and 1930's My parents traveled with very famous vaudeville companies and performed with the likes of Al Jolson, Eddie Cantor, Bob Hope, and others that really were not yet famous. In my house it was a given you were going to sing, dance, or play an instrument.

Have you ever been at a gig or at home playing and given thought to the sacrifices your parents might have made to provide you with a musical experience? I do. Have you ever thought what might would be different in your life had they not done that? And then what will happen as we age out - you know -just to darn old to do much of anything. I turned 77 this week and still gig 3-5 times weekly. So far I am able to get equipment in and out of the house and car but I know my days are numbered. For sure, I will miss playing for people when that time comes.

Anyway, was just sitting around this morning and thought I would share these thoughts with the group. What say you?

Deane

#432935 - 06/14/17 08:09 AM Re: How much is music part of your life? [Re: hammer]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I really thought I would miss it more. I think I have turned my keyboard on once in the past week, and it's setting 3 feet away. All I have to do is swivel my chair and push the switch.
I do have a big job coming up the first part of July, in Oklahoma, and I find myself looking forward to it, instead of dreading to go in to work every night!
I suppose that is a classic case of burn-out! I do plan to play for the Veteran's home and some fund-raisers but haven't even started that yet.
My plan is to do a few private parties to keep my slush fund alive and spend the rest of the time playing golf, fishing and watching grand kids.
However, I NEVER forget how grateful I am to have been able to support myself and my family by playing music for close to 50 years!

#432936 - 06/14/17 08:38 AM Re: How much is music part of your life? [Re: DonM]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Don you are not alone... you mirrored me.. I have my EA7 to my left and my G70 to my right... many days I do not even turn the power on..

In front of me my TV that I use mostly as a monitor for my laptop also in front of me..
The kitchen is one room away as is the bathroom.. smile

After my 12 year hitch with the shore band ...traveling 4 days a week..
I enjoyed the break, and after filling in with the band a few times...I don't miss it..

My kids know I am home now and I am busier then ever being Pop Pop. grin

I get a chance to dig into software and keyboards... also do comparisons etc..

I play school performances (my daughter is a teacher}, holiday parties, no charge and enjoy backing teachers and students (Special needs) ... sing a long..

Breakfast and dinner is allotted everyday..(Don't golf).. Walk 3 or 4 miles a day (basketball days are gone)..

In all ... near perfect situation.. and when I do turn on a keyboard...I play what I want... smile

#432937 - 06/14/17 08:46 AM Re: How much is music part of your life? [Re: hammer]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I was the youngest State Farm Agent in New York state in 1962, and went on from there to own and manage commercial insurance agencies until 1996 when I retired. I didn't teach myself organ until 1966, but was always in Choirs, Barbershop groups, and played trombone through school. I played my first gig with a pro drummer in 1969 with my first B3. That was it, from then on I played weekends until I retired. It has been a total life endeavor ever since.

#432938 - 06/14/17 08:55 AM Re: How much is music part of your life? [Re: hammer]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Music has been a part of my life since I was about 12 years old, however, now that I have retired, the things I miss are the wonderful folks I have met along the way, both in the audiences and professionally. My keyboard gets turned on once or twice a week at most these days, and on days when I'm not seeing a doctor I'm on the boat doing something, even if it's just chillin out and sipping a green coconut margaretta. wink

All the best,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#432939 - 06/14/17 09:56 AM Re: How much is music part of your life? [Re: hammer]
notlos Offline

Loc: Belgium
for me it's another story...
i was proffesional in music since 1980 and work with bands national and international, since 2011 i stopped with music i had a business to run and don't played music anymore, a few month ago i went back to my piano and play a few tunes.. i made a backup in my memory for this past time and now i'm back into music, i think it needed this break...
all my music equipment has since 2011 packed and not played since then...
it's possible i go for the last years working for my old boss in Belgium in the music industry but i have also other possible changes...
pardon my English, i'm not so good :-)

best regards,

Notlos
Belgium

#432941 - 06/14/17 12:12 PM Re: How much is music part of your life? [Re: hammer]
Bachus Offline

Comming home after a long day of work, sitting behind the keyboards and making music comforts me and its my one and only stress release vessel... to me its more like a form of meditation... putting my mind at ease...

Despite not being a performing musician, its still the thing that keeps me going.. and makes me a better and happier person..

http://keyszone.boards.net

#432944 - 06/14/17 01:50 PM Re: How much is music part of your life? [Re: Bachus]
musicforyourday Offline

Loc: So California, USA
I get it , I also got a case of burn out too I have been grinding 25 to 30 shows a month many of them 4 hours i going to get some time off starting in July now I just got to take it and not go put and find more work , but tuff to not do when you got 4 kids and a wife to support

so back to work I go but it would be nice to take a break .

I think I go fishing a bit .

#432945 - 06/14/17 01:51 PM Re: How much is music part of your life? [Re: Bachus]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Still sitting on a record of 9 weeks off since 1955 from playing at lest three nights a week. At 72, I'm busier than I have ever been. That's because I added 60 hours per month in the studio last year, and my production company has dramatically increased the production of 15 min and under projects which are rapidly replacing a lot of print.

I am in my office, with a piano on my left, a guitar on my right, an upright down the hall and 7 other instruments in the three rooms I work in the most. A mile from my new office are 162 stringed instruments, 42 amplifiers, 19 keyboards and all the associated paraphernalia.

Music is a part of almost every minute of my work and personal life. I'm rehearsing "A House is not A Home" on vibes for an appearance with an area Philharmonic Sunday.

Just started playing JJ CALE's Magnolia again. Every week I add what I think is a "musical milestone" tune. Last week it was Brian Wilson's "Warmth of the Sun". the list goes on. And on. And will as long as my mind and limbs hold up.

Russ

#432948 - 06/14/17 03:54 PM Re: How much is music part of your life? [Re: hammer]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I never burned out from the live scene, but I did take a sharp left turn into education for 10 years. It was a chapter worth living, and I'm glad I did it. At age 62, I plan to devote the next 15 years or so playing and singing as much as I can. Maybe by 80 I'll slow down .... a little. There's just not enough hours in a day to NOT sing.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online