SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#4326 - 02/24/03 09:14 AM Re: Vinatge Gear: Why is it still so popular to own?
Anonymous
Unregistered

That's what I suggested that he do too, tek

#4327 - 02/24/03 12:34 PM Re: Vinatge Gear: Why is it still so popular to own?
tekminus Offline

Yeah, with the small exception that I didn't recommend it as the main or only instrument. I quess it's ok, if you just want to sit and play on a 6-voice synth, but it has its limits.

-tek

#4328 - 02/24/03 01:21 PM Re: Vinatge Gear: Why is it still so popular to own?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes, well I will agree with you on that tek. Don't use the Juno-6 as your main instrument. Add a few others. Like mabye a mono synth, or add a digtial one, or VA or even softeare. I read that it is best to have a varity of diiferent instruments. Espically a lot of cheap ones as oppsed to one expensive one.

Buy The Juno-6 keep one good digital synth if you have a VA that will do too, maybe even add a software synth. This will give you a wide varity of sounds.

#4329 - 02/24/03 10:27 PM Re: Vinatge Gear: Why is it still so popular to own?
800dv Offline

Loc: atlanta, georgia, usa
There is one synthesizer that I have found to be a great one for ambient sounds , it's Absynth . It has the best ambient sound capabilities that I've heard so far . I do like Autechre's Amber CD .

#4330 - 02/24/03 10:55 PM Re: Vinatge Gear: Why is it still so popular to own?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have heard that is a good one 800DV, I downloaded a Demo of the Absynth, and it dose sound cool. I have been considering buying a MIDI/USB controller keyboard so that I can try out all these software synths. Edirol makes a controller keyboard that has knobs on it, which is what I like and want. I had been put off by these software synthesizers with virtual knobs becuse no one made a controller keyboard with knobs, but now they do. Becuse playing the Absynth useing my mouse is not exactly the same as if I had a piano style keyboard. Don't get me wrong I still like having the hardware synths. But I figure this will allow me to have more current and newer sounds, with out spending a exorberent amount of money. Besides I can swing $200.00 for a controller keyboard. I figure if I want one with knobs may as well buy it.

#4331 - 02/25/03 12:56 AM Re: Vinatge Gear: Why is it still so popular to own?
Soft Machine Offline

REAKTOR by NI is quite powerful too

#4332 - 02/25/03 01:45 AM Re: Vinatge Gear: Why is it still so popular to own?
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Soft synths are fantastic nowadays and getting better all the time. After all all the top synths today are digital and running soft operating systems so there is no reason a highend computer can't do as well if not better. By the time all music products such as synths and other keyboards make it into production the hardware has already been surpassed by current computer products hitting the market. But the unknown factor is not the synth software itself but the computer system and audio card that is being used to create the actual analog signal. Many computers suffer from electrical interference and noise and it takes a quiet system combined with a high quality audio card ( preferably with low latency drivers ) to compete with commercial synths and keyboards. Admittedly most computer musicians work entirely in the digital domain so electrical noise is not then an issue, but being able to play sounds live is an issue for many musicians.

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 02-25-2003).]

#4333 - 02/25/03 08:25 AM Re: Vinatge Gear: Why is it still so popular to own?
800dv Offline

Loc: atlanta, georgia, usa
I have not had the chance to check out Reaktor yet , but I will . I've heard alot of good things about Reaktor , so I will check into it . Luckily , I have no noise problems with my computer audio . The Vibra , Stella , and Gama 9000 are also great software synthesizers . Even the Model E is so close to the MiniMoog it's scary .

#4334 - 02/25/03 08:40 AM Re: Vinatge Gear: Why is it still so popular to own?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Frist off I would like to say that this is the most posts that I have recevied for any thread that I have posted here on the Synth Zone BBS. And I just Wanted to say thak you for continueing to post on this one topic.

hey 800dv where can I find a copy of the Minimoog Model E to download a Demo becuse I am interested in seeing what it sounds like.

#4335 - 02/25/03 09:21 AM Re: Vinatge Gear: Why is it still so popular to own?
Equalizer Offline

Loc: Scotland
Paul- For me, the amazing thing about this thread is not so much the length, but the fact that there's not been a major argument yet!

Nigel- I have a question for you. I was tempted to put this on another thread to grab your attention, but I'll try my luck here...

Ok, my question is basically this- what is the verdict on virtual (software) synths?

I mean, up till lately I had assumed that virtual synths DID pretty much replicate the sound of whatever synths they were trying to emulate.

Ok ok, there ARE certainly some rubbish virtual synths out there, but I had just assumed that the more credible ones like the FM7, or the Pro 52 DID succeed 100% in replicating the sounds from the original instruments that they were trying to recreate.

But, having read this thread I'm not so sure anymore.

So basically, if I was thinking of getting a Roland Juno (of some sort), would I be as well saving some money and getting hold of a good virtual synth instead??? (there are certainly a few out there which claim to replicate Junos, such as Reaktor for example)

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online