SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#432641 - 06/05/17 02:40 PM Gigging with a Privia PX-360
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I done bought me one of those Casio pianos that have rhythm styles and a sequencer. In addition to being a pretty good piano, I was surprised that after a few hours of fiddling around I could play most of my arranger songs without much trouble. The rhythm section is nowhere near anything on a Korg, Roland or Yamaha, but its good enough for someone like me who plays and sings. Even most of my SMFs transferred over and sounded pretty darn decent.

BUT, I will not be taking the unit out for its debut this Friday. Why? Because I still need to work with the settings and registrations, mainly. Controlling the upper2 voice is a big pain, as is voice selection. The touch screen is very touchy and I sometimes find myself in outer space. Things are not set up as much for arranger/smf play as it is for someone accompanying or soloing with a group.

This is a great keyboard and the seller surprised the hell out of me with a new unit instead of a returned unit I assumed I was buying. Piano sounds are excellent, as expected, but most of the other stuff is lukewarm. I have yet to figure out how to toggle a Leslie sim (many others are complaining on their forum too). Sounds just aren't as fat as I'm used to, but they are more than passable.

I will be practicing thru the summer to get my piano chops up; the piano keybed is stiffer than I expected. I need to edit some midi files, and I have to setup some registrations - something I hate doing and have avoided most of my career. Hopefully, I'll venture out with it soon. I'm thinking of taking/playing both keyboards for a job or two until I'm truly confident the PX can do the job. And if it doesn't, I think I like it enough (for now) to keep it around the house.

#432651 - 06/05/17 08:04 PM Re: Gigging with a Privia PX-360 [Re: cassp]
Beakybird Offline

The PX-5S has a better system for calling up registrations. But then you lose the onboard speakers and the touchscreen.

#432656 - 06/06/17 05:47 AM Re: Gigging with a Privia PX-360 [Re: Beakybird]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By Beakybird
The PX-5S has a better system for calling up registrations. But then you lose the onboard speakers and the touchscreen.

You also loose the arranger part.....

Rumors say, that the PX-7s will combine everything the PX-5s has with the mz-x500 and the XW-P1 solo synth.. for far under $2000

http://keyszone.boards.net

#432663 - 06/07/17 06:21 AM Re: Gigging with a Privia PX-360 [Re: cassp]
Dnj Offline

Edited by Dnj (06/07/17 06:26 AM)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online