SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#432105 - 05/22/17 12:09 PM Gear or G.A.S.
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Used to(still play a bit)be a string player; guitar, mandolin and bass etc. Been collecting stringed instruments for years. Spent plenty of $$$. Still have many of them.

It occurred to me that if I collected as many arrangers $$$ wise as I have stringed instruments, I could own, in addition to my 4X and S970: a Ketron, a Tyros, perhaps a Roland, and a few digital pianos...would love a Nord.

But here's the thing. My acoustic instruments all play and sound different. But between my PA 4X and S970, I can probably recreate, at least sound wise, a ton of different instruments.

So here's the deal.

I'd love to own more keyboards as I could afford them.

But really, what would I gain soundwise and playability?

Thoughts?

#432123 - 05/22/17 05:56 PM Re: Gear or G.A.S. [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
If you sold all that stuff you might have enough to buy a nice Morgan 33 Out Island sailboat with all the trimmings and ready to sail around the world. wink Think about it, mine will soon be up for sale and you could be doing some of the zany things I did over the past decade.

Donny has spent enough on arranger keyboards in the time I have known him to have purchased a luxury motor yacht, but he gets seasick. wink

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#432124 - 05/22/17 06:24 PM Re: Gear or G.A.S. [Re: guitpic1]
Dnj Offline

Gary oh no sorry to hear you won't be sailing anymore with your boat I know you love it. Instead maybe you and Carol can take a nice vacation on a big cruise ship....stay well buddy

#432127 - 05/22/17 07:07 PM Re: Gear or G.A.S. [Re: guitpic1]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By guitpic1
Used to(still play a bit)be a string player; guitar, mandolin and bass etc. Been collecting stringed instruments for years. Spent plenty of $$$. Still have many of them.

It occurred to me that if I collected as many arrangers $$$ wise as I have stringed instruments, I could own, in addition to my 4X and S970: a Ketron, a Tyros, perhaps a Roland, and a few digital pianos...would love a Nord.

But here's the thing. My acoustic instruments all play and sound different. But between my PA 4X and S970, I can probably recreate, at least sound wise, a ton of different instruments.

So here's the deal.

I'd love to own more keyboards as I could afford them.

But really, what would I gain soundwise and playability?

Thoughts?

Generally speaking, if you need other people to help you justify a purchase, that's a pretty good sign you don't need it.

Hey, you asked for "thoughts?".

chas

#432130 - 05/22/17 07:36 PM Re: Gear or G.A.S. [Re: cgiles]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
1-There are people who look for excitement in the form of a new guitar or keyboard.

2-And some like Gary who used the same keyboard for a long time.

3-Don seems to be happy with the keyboard he has at the moment. But when a new one comes out he is one the first to buy. But he does not collect them – he uses dollars to buy a new tool; he is not a collector.

4-I had 11 guitars at one time; most of them were Gibsons and D’Aquestos; I was a collector. I now want just two good guitars.
So my opinion --- decide who you are the rest falls in.

John C.

PS, I was going to buy a bike and my wife said, “You’ll never use it”. After thinking a bit I said, “I don’t care, even if I put it in the living room and just sit and stare at it.
Now I have really confused you.(smile)

#432133 - 05/22/17 08:19 PM Re: Gear or G.A.S. [Re: guitpic1]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I'm down to four guitars. Not that I play any of them anymore. smile
I do love my arranger. Only way I'd changes keyboards again would be if something as good and as reliable, but lighter and/or smaller came out. Ain't gonna happen though!

#432135 - 05/22/17 08:27 PM Re: Gear or G.A.S. [Re: guitpic1]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
For me it has always been getting bored with the same old sounds of a single arranger and I would buy a different one. Usually ended up selling them and moving on to something else. I think it all depends on your budget.

Do what you want and can afford - you don't need others approval.

Deane

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online