Topic Options
#431671 - 05/13/17 06:16 AM Transposer
Korgman5
Unregistered

How many players here use the transposer to play in different
keys? I use it as I play in F#, not the most popular key but
has a nice average range to it. I play in that key because as
a young 12 yr. old, I saw an add in the local newspaper that
said: " Learn to play by ear" and offered a book on chords.
I had my parents pick up that book and all the chords were in
F#. We had a player piano that served me to play.

Because I could hear chord changes I quickly learned to play
songs in that key. As time passed by, I got better and better
and started hearing chords that added interest in playing.
Learned to play 9ths, minor keys, augmented and diminished
chords. I am very thankful that that ad in the newspaper got
me interested in music. That's all I got to say about that !
Lloyd
PS: Does anyone have a similar story to tell ?

Edited by Korgman5 (05/13/17 06:19 AM)

#431673 - 05/13/17 06:27 AM Re: Transposer [Re: ]
Dnj Offline

The transpose feature is there for a reason to use, especially if your a singer player or have a guest singer or duo etc,...It is essential for singers I always use it..great feature for modulations in live play also, only if its a one button push +/- I remember some arrangers needed two pushes +/- and that not good when you have to make a split second modulation change in a song live on stage, (which usually isn't on the charts for readers)...alternately a pedal can be used but, in no way is it faster or more accurate then a finger push imo.

Edited by Dnj (05/13/17 08:01 AM)

#431674 - 05/13/17 07:19 AM Re: Transposer [Re: ]
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
I am unfortunately more of a reader than a player, I wish I could play by ear, but if I can't figure it out first and write it down, I am lost,

I guess my studies were more in performing contempary pieces, which had nothing to do with any "Pop" song structure, so when I was young and my mind was a sponge, I soaked up all the wrong stuff

#431676 - 05/13/17 07:55 AM Re: Transposer [Re: ]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
I feel comfortable in most keys except B and C#. Don't know why, a mental thing I guess. I learned most tunes in the original key and grew up (musically), as did most of you, in an era when there WAS no 'transpose' button (at least not for keyboard instruments). One problem with transposing is that you will likely change the voicing of chords which, in turn, COULD change the 'feel' of that particular part of a song. Also, some songs just don't sound right in other than the original key. Of course, as someone pointed out, sometimes one has to accomodate a singer, especially a 'guest singer' that popped up from the audience (arrrrrrgggggh).

For the record though, I don't 'look down' or disapprove of using this (very handy) tool, especially if they play the song well in their 'comfort' key. Hey, whatever works. I still believe in initially learning the tune in the original key. One thing that helps me is thinking in terms of CHORDS instead of thinking in terms of KEY. Learn (and get comfortable playing) as many chords (including various voicings, substitutions, etc.) as you can and commit them to muscle memory. Have someone call out random chords and see how fast you can react. You'll be suprised how much this will improve your playing and how much less intimidating 'fake books' will become.

chas

Edited by cgiles (05/13/17 07:57 AM)

#431680 - 05/13/17 08:44 AM Re: Transposer [Re: ]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
I'm familiar although not comfortable playing in all keys. By that I mean you just don't see many songs done in F# .
I do use the transposer to move songs to fit my voice. For EX. I may want to sing in B but use the transposer to play in C which is much more comfortable.

#431682 - 05/13/17 11:03 AM Re: Transposer [Re: Bill Lewis]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Bill Lewis
I'm familiar although not comfortable playing in all keys. By that I mean you just don't see many songs done in F# .
I do use the transposer to move songs to fit my voice. For EX. I may want to sing in B but use the transposer to play in C which is much more comfortable.

Exactly Bill there are no rules......only good music!! cool2

#431685 - 05/13/17 11:29 AM Re: Transposer [Re: ]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I can play in just about any key, but I'm most comfortable in the key of "C", therefore the transpose button allows me to transpose to a key that is the comfortable for my vocal ability.

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#431689 - 05/13/17 05:07 PM Re: Transposer [Re: ]
Bachus Offline

I am a reader.. however, if i play transposed it feels so unnatural to me that instart making faults...

I never sing, or play with singers..

http://keyszone.boards.net

#431697 - 05/14/17 06:16 AM Re: Transposer [Re: ]
Korgman5
Unregistered

I thank all who responded to my inquiry. Most interesting responses and appreciated. Thanks again, Lloyd

#431703 - 05/14/17 09:49 AM Re: Transposer [Re: ]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Only my opinion:

Using the transposer is an easy way out. Now that I am older and my voice is changing I am using the transposer more often.

I know that are players who play in Db or F# and use the transposer constantly. Wrong? -- No nothing is wrong. And some players do not use the pads, or change instrumentation. It is a matter of what you wish to achieve.

I took a few piano lessons years ago. When I asked the teacher how can I get comfortable playing in Eb? Play all your songs in Eb for a few weeks. Eb was no longer a problem.

What I did:
1-Took an easy song with few chord changes and played it in all the popular keys. C,F,G,Bb, and D. Then I gradually added Eb, Ab, A, and Db.
2-I learn the relationship between chords and the different scales in each key. A song in C Major sometimes goes to other keys. Ex: Body and Soul. C major, Db Major and B major. I had to use a bit of discipline, but I gained a lot of freedom.

Please keep in mind that I played guitar for many years before going to keyboard.

John C.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online