SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#431068 - 04/26/17 03:37 AM New hardware Synth - feedback welcome
ExodusDigital Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Hey folks,

Just a quick intro - my first post here on SynthZone !

I'm Manuel, based in the UK. I've been working with a few guys for the last couple of years and have built what we think is a pretty exciting new hardware synth and we're looking to get it out there very soon.

It's a VA synth, but unlike pretty much all the VAs out there, it's not based on DSP chips. We looked at that as a tech to build on but it simply doesn't deliver the performance needed to build a synth with the power and quality users expect these days. For that reason, we built the synth using a completely custom design in a large FPGA (gate array). With that under the hood, Valkyrie has some pretty serious audio horsepower.

There's a few demos (mostly sound quality checks) along with a picture of the actual synth over on SoundCloud (https://soundcloud.com/exodusdigital). There's some specs there too. I'll be posting some much more interesting demos soon now that a number of synths have been built.

Anyway, any feedback is welcome - development is complete but there is definitely potential to make some tweaks if folks have any ideas or comments to make.

If there's any folks in southern UK who'd be up for some demo songs or patch programming, let me know !

Best regards
Manuel

#431555 - 05/09/17 11:37 AM Re: New hardware Synth - feedback welcome [Re: ExodusDigital]
Bachus Offline

Sounds good...

But what does it hav eto offer to put it above the Nord Lead, Access Virus or Roland System 8?

http://keyszone.boards.net

#431579 - 05/10/17 10:33 AM Re: New hardware Synth - feedback welcome [Re: Bachus]
ExodusDigital Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Hi,

A list of the specs is over on the SoundCloud page but some standouts would be:

[] 96kHz audio processing with 32x oversampled oscillators so aliasing is all but nonexistent. Ten oscillators are available per voice (20 in dual mode).
[] No loss of polyphony when you add hypersaw, effects etc (in stark comparison to Virus, even the TI2 where I found getting much over 16-18 note poly was a struggle with the sort of sounds I liked). With the single exception of dual mode (2 voices per note) Valkyrie is always 128 note poly regardless of settings.
[] 4096 looped wavetables (vs. 64 on Virus), 32x oversampled
[] A UAC2 USB 2.0 implementation with 8 stereo 96k/24bit streams to your DAW

I hope to have some demos to back the specs up very soon, development only finished a couple of weeks back.

If there are any features missing that anyone thinks are a 'must have' I'm happy to consider them. I will be adding 4-pole filters in a future update.

Best regards
Manuel

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online