SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#431485 - 05/07/17 08:33 PM Re: Mic Recomindation for feedback rejection [Re: montunoman]
J. Larry Offline

Loc: University, MS 38677 USA
I’ve been having feedback problems, at times, with the Shure Beta 58 and two Bose Compacts. That’s with running three vocal mics and a sax player through the system. I’ve read some good things about the sE Electronics V7 dynamic microphone. It’s fairly new and about 100 bucks. It uses a supercardioid pickup pattern that supposedly rejects feedback very well.

#431496 - 05/08/17 08:34 AM Re: Mic Recomindation for feedback rejection [Re: montunoman]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
A big part of the feedback issue is the use of two Bose towers. The coverage is so wide that your "safe zone" from feedback is greatly reduced. This is a strength of the Bose design, but works adversely if you're using a harmonizer. My advice - Place the Bose in front of your mic, and use a monitor, if needed/wanted.
Also, use a good quality Super or Hyper cardioid mic to reject sound input from the sides. Set your mic gain so that your normal volume requires you to be right up on the mic. Kissing it is where I like it. Keeps me grounded, and keeps out unwanted noise from around me. Favorite mics for me are:
Sennheiser E935/945, and EV 767/767a (didn't love the 967 - hated the flat top, but that could be changed out, I imagine)

#431499 - 05/08/17 09:13 AM Re: Mic Recomindation for feedback rejection [Re: montunoman]
musicforyourday Offline

Loc: So California, USA
I use a senn 945 I play at a very loud bar with lots of hard scape and have 2 line aray units 3 feet on each side of me and the 945 is the best I have used i had 835 bit get low humm

i use mic setting in Tyros 4 and 5

get one of those and problem solved.

i use 835 to mic the piano works well too but for anti feed back 945 all the way.

Edited by musicforyourday (05/08/17 09:14 AM)

#431507 - 05/08/17 11:38 AM Re: Mic Recomindation for feedback rejection [Re: montunoman]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
When I was using a hand held mic, actually two of them, they were the Sennheiser E-855 and the Samson Q7, and never had a feedback problem with either one. I used the Bose L1 PAS and Bose L1 Compact(s) with both mics. The only time I experienced feedback with the Sennheiser E-855 was last week when I recorded a song on the S-950 and used the keyboard speakers for monitors, something I never did while performing live. The keyboard speakers were always turned off using a dead-plug in the earphone jack. When I used the Bose systems, they were always placed directly to the side of me at a distance of just 2 feet at most, thereby providing me with a great monitor of what the audience was hearing.

My EQ settings have been posted here dozens of times, so I'm guessing that the OP's EQ settings are similar, but I don't know for sure. If you have too much mid and high EQ, then feedback will be a problem with any mic other than my Crown CM-311A, which has a very short range and nearly impossible to develop feedback from any sound system. Unfortunately, some performers cannot use a headset mic, but that's because they need to use the proximity effect of a handheld mic in place of vocal control.

Good luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#431514 - 05/08/17 01:25 PM Re: Mic Recomindation for feedback rejection [Re: Uncle Dave]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Originally Posted By Uncle Dave
A big part of the feedback issue is the use of two Bose towers. The coverage is so wide that your "safe zone" from feedback is greatly reduced. This is a strength of the Bose design, but works adversely if you're using a harmonizer. My advice - Place the Bose in front of your mic, and use a monitor, if needed/wanted.
Also, use a good quality Super or Hyper cardioid mic to reject sound input from the sides. Set your mic gain so that your normal volume requires you to be right up on the mic. Kissing it is where I like it. Keeps me grounded, and keeps out unwanted noise from around me. Favorite mics for me are:
Sennheiser E935/945, and EV 767/767a (didn't love the 967 - hated the flat top, but that could be changed out, I imagine)

We were set up BEHIND the Bose Compacts and had a two monitors placed in front of us. (see the cinco de mayo video) . My wife Sennheiser 935 did fine, it was my Peavy mic that was pluged into the Audya that was giving us problems. Never had an issue with this mic before. I know it's not a "pro" mic, but I like the on and off switch, because I just leave it off when I'm not singing. But on this particular gig we were playing WAY LOUDER than we normaly do. There were over a 1000 people, and the GM told us to turn up a few times.

The good news is we got hired for a few more dates at the same place, they expect just as big of a crowd, so I think I'm to going go to get some 2 standard 12" powered speakers and an 15" or 18" sub or two, a better quality mic for myself. Maybe I'll use the Compacts for monitors? The Compacts are nice, but I don't the are really designed for this type of work.

Edited by montunoman (05/08/17 01:26 PM)

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#431515 - 05/08/17 01:36 PM Re: Mic Recomindation for feedback rejection [Re: montunoman]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Paul, with a crowd size of 1,000, that is double the rating of a pair of Bose Compacts. However, I have covered a crowd of 1,200 in Ocean City Maryland, outdoors, with a single Bose L1 PAS and had no problems at all, and they were rowdy, drunken fishermen at a big bucks tournament.

A pair of 12-inch powered speakers would NOT likely be able to cover a crowd of 1,000 people outdoors, and I seriously doubt that a pair of powered 15s would do the job if the crowd is noisy.

As for getting a better mic, I agree, you do need to upgrade to something equal or better than your loving wife uses.

Good luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#431516 - 05/08/17 02:17 PM Re: Mic Recomindation for feedback rejection [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By travlin'easy
Paul, with a crowd size of 1,000, that is double the rating of a pair of Bose Compacts. However, I have covered a crowd of 1,200 in Ocean City Maryland, outdoors, with a single Bose L1 PAS and had no problems at all, and they were rowdy, drunken fishermen at a big bucks tournament.

A pair of 12-inch powered speakers would NOT likely be able to cover a crowd of 1,000 people outdoors, and I seriously doubt that a pair of powered 15s would do the job if the crowd is noisy.

As for getting a better mic, I agree, you do need to upgrade to something equal or better than your loving wife uses.

Good luck,

Gary

ditto I would agree a sound system much more powerful would be needed for a crowd like that shown in the video outside.

#431545 - 05/09/17 08:15 AM Re: Mic Recomindation for feedback rejection [Re: Dnj]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
I echo Uncle Dave . Super or hyper cardoid pickup pattern Mic will cut your feedback. Another vote for Sennheiser 945. I use it with keyboard, and accordion with condenser mics in it that used to feed back until I went with it. Over $200 but worth the investment. I had the EV and consider the Senn better.If its cost prohibitive go with the 845..

#431570 - 05/10/17 01:49 AM Re: Mic Recomindation for feedback rejection [Re: montunoman]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA

#431572 - 05/10/17 04:22 AM Re: Mic Recomindation for feedback rejection [Re: montunoman]
Steve A Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
I have found the Super Cardoid Neumann KMS 105 condenser mic picks up practically no other instruments or noise around it. It can be tricky to set up, but once you got positioning correct it is a dream. You better have great mic technique & quality as it will expose your flaws rather quickly. it will run you about $600 plus, but worth every penny. At least to me

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online