SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#431406 - 05/05/17 03:28 PM Balanced TRS Connection Versus XLR
fjs714 Offline

Hi Fellas,
When connecting your Keyboard (Korg Pa4x) to a mixer; then your mixer to a PA (Evox 8) Do you notice any audable difference in the quality of sound by using the XLR cables
thanks Frank

#431415 - 05/05/17 04:49 PM Re: Balanced TRS Connection Versus XLR [Re: fjs714]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
There really should be no difference if the connections are properly made. If you are using an adapter cable, be sure that Pin 2 is connected to the tip of the TSR plug and pins 1 and 3 are connected together and connect to the sleeve.

Good luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#431424 - 05/06/17 07:33 AM Re: Balanced TRS Connection Versus XLR [Re: fjs714]
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
TRS and XLR cables are designed to help in the elimination of noise, from ground loops and hums, they have a 3rd wire which is designed to shield outside interference.

That doesn't mean a regular ¼" won't work.

The other big issue is the quality of the cable, a discount cable, or incredibly priced cable usually has to cut corners to get to that price, which could mean, a thinner gauge wire, or a inferior oxygen ratio, so just because its a ¼" cable does not make them equal.

Remember your sound is based on the chain of equipment including how they are connected and how they are set up.

Rule of thumb, your total sound is greatly affected by the lowest quality item in your chain

#431427 - 05/06/17 08:43 AM Re: Balanced TRS Connection Versus XLR [Re: fjs714]
Korgman5
Unregistered

Thanks for the advice on cables. Lloyd

Edited by Korgman5 (05/06/17 08:44 AM)

#431430 - 05/06/17 09:43 AM Re: Balanced TRS Connection Versus XLR [Re: ]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Korgman5

https://www.monsterproducts.com/products/cables/music-instrument

all my cables are Monster

#431431 - 05/06/17 10:29 AM Re: Balanced TRS Connection Versus XLR [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj

All my cables are Gary Made! wink

Gary cool

#431441 - 05/06/17 11:50 PM Re: Balanced TRS Connection Versus XLR [Re: travlin'easy]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By travlin'easy
Originally Posted By Dnj

All my cables are Gary Made! wink

Gary cool

Handmade cables... in general they are the first to break... most man done soldering is just not equal to high end factory soldering... many factory cables also have features that make your soldering surve some strain.. Handmande cables in general dont

However handmade cables are easilly repaired.. and that cant be said from the latest factory cables...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#431443 - 05/07/17 12:52 AM Re: Balanced TRS Connection Versus XLR [Re: fjs714]
Sokratis 1974 Offline

Loc: Hellas, Creta, Iraklion
I use always the Radial ProD2 Passive Stereo Direct D.I Box, in connection of my Arrangers..
The differences with simple direct Balance connection (with TRS cables), and the connection with Radial ProD2 (or with a good Passive D.I Box), is that:

1) With Radial D.I (and with a good D.I Box also) the signal is transformed to MIC connection, (with two XLR cables), and we can to use the Gain of Microphone Pre Amp of console, without distortion, and the good way to transformed to MIC the signal is with a good D.I Box..
2) This D.I is specifically designed for Keyboards, Drum Machines, Samplers, etc, able to handle huge transients without choking..
3) With Radial ProD2, we have a smooth, warm sound, much more better than, Line direct connection or Balanced connection, eliminating also hum and buzz caused by ground loops.
4) Becouse the Radial ProD2, is Passive D.I, with two high performance transformers, it does not need Phantom Power (48v), like the Active D.I,s..
5) The difference of Balanced (TRS) connector, and transformed MIC of D.I is that in a Balanced (with TRS cables), the signal remain Line, although is (Line Balanced)...

If you go through the DI box to a suitable mic preamp, you can also benefit from the tonal colour the preamp offers
(Sound on Sound magazine)..

http://www.soundonsound.com/sound-advice/q-there-any-point-di-ing-keyboards

I am use always the Radial ProD2, with my Audya 76, Audya 5, and Pa3x also although Pa3x has Balanced Output...

Edited by Sokratis 1974 (05/07/17 01:28 AM)

#431458 - 05/07/17 07:17 AM Re: Balanced TRS Connection Versus XLR [Re: fjs714]
travlin'easy Offline

Bachus, in more than 50 years of making cables, I have not had a single cable failure - not one! And, this is likely because I use heavier guage wire and know how to solder corrrectly.

Gary

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online