SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#431300 - 05/03/17 04:33 PM The Most Minimal Setup
Torch Offline

I am quoting a past post by synerjim.

"I'm a minimalist, so my setup is composed only of MJPro or coming SD40, Korg Microkey 61, Headset Mic and a Bose L1 Compact or Aiwa EXOS-9."

Just an SD40 or MJPro with the Microkey 61 is indeed a very minimal setup. I wonder if Ketron ironed out all the bugs in the SD40 that some mentioned about. I like the idea of an arranger module whether it is hardware or software such as vArranger. You can use any size keyboard. Flexible. I have Microkey 37 and 61. Just ordered the Bluetooth version Air 61 to play vArranger wirelessly.
"You Shall Know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free." John 8:32

#431301 - 05/03/17 05:07 PM Re: The Most Minimal Setup [Re: Torch]
Dnj Offline

all those wires to hook up not my favorite thing when performing minimally, ...

just powered speakers, arranger KB, Xstand with mic boom, R&R kart & your done..

#431302 - 05/03/17 05:42 PM Re: The Most Minimal Setup [Re: Dnj]
Torch Offline

Tell me about it. I don't like cables, either. Sometimes, a wireless system involve more wires behind the curtain than a wired system. However, with my Bluetooth midi controller and Varranger with built-in sounds, I don't need any wire except for the audio out of the notebook. Also, the setup can be as small as a 37 key or 88 key.

#431303 - 05/03/17 05:49 PM Re: The Most Minimal Setup [Re: Torch]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Just curious. Could you also use Bluetooth speakers? Would anything coming out of the controller kb interfere with the speakers or would the speakers just ignore anything except audio? Also, is there any such thing as a standalone bluetooth receiver/audio converter that can turn regular powered speakers into bluetooth speakers?

chas

#431304 - 05/03/17 05:57 PM Re: The Most Minimal Setup [Re: Torch]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Maybe things have changed since I tried this 2-3 years ago, but when I tested a bluetooth setup, there was noticeable latency. Anyone have any info/comments on the state of bluetooth today? Was it my gear, or infancy of the invention?

#431315 - 05/03/17 06:45 PM Re: The Most Minimal Setup [Re: cgiles]
Torch Offline

Originally Posted By cgiles
Just curious. Could you also use Bluetooth speakers? Would anything coming out of the controller kb interfere with the speakers or would the speakers just ignore anything except audio? Also, is there any such thing as a standalone bluetooth receiver/audio converter that can turn regular powered speakers into bluetooth speakers?

chas
Bluetooth speakers, now, that's where there is latency. Of course, playing backup music through Blutooth speakers is no issue as latency is irrelevant.

Bluetooth MIDI transmitter: Quicco Sound Mi1, Yamaha, and another one by a Chinese company, and I don't know how the quality is http://www.ebay.com/itm/232312936095?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Bluetooth MIDI receiver; WIDI Bud by CME Audio. It works very well. Probably the only Bluetooth MIDI receiver in the world. The Korg Microkey doesn't need a Bluetooth MIDI receiver for Windows setup. Your Windows built in Bluetooth receiver will pair with the Microkey Air through a free app by Korg. Mind you that the stylish looking, but over-priced CME Xkey Air Bluetooth MIDI keyboard does not come with a Windows driver. It needs the WIDI Bud. Besides, the Korg is a lot more playable than the CME.

Bluetooth audio receiver: You got the right idea. Yes, there are 14 thousands of them. You can find them on Amazon.com.

#431316 - 05/03/17 06:55 PM Re: The Most Minimal Setup [Re: Uncle Dave]
Torch Offline

Originally Posted By Uncle Dave
Maybe things have changed since I tried this 2-3 years ago, but when I tested a bluetooth setup, there was noticeable latency. Anyone have any info/comments on the state of bluetooth today? Was it my gear, or infancy of the invention?
Probably you are talking about Bluetooth Audio not Bluetooth MIDI. No latency issue with MIDI over Bluetooth LE. Soon we will see software companies taking advantage of the new Windows' native MIDI over Bluetooth LE. I think the Roland FP30 is equipped with Bluetooth midi, but then again just a $50 Bluetooth MIDI transmitter will do the same provided that your midi controller has a standard midi output.

#431321 - 05/03/17 08:19 PM Re: The Most Minimal Setup [Re: Torch]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Yes, I was dealing with Bluetooth audio. I hardly use midi at all, except in the studio.

#431327 - 05/03/17 09:35 PM Re: The Most Minimal Setup [Re: Torch]
shueymusic Offline

Loc: Lebanon, PA
This was my minimal setup... my pre-lunch gig from 5/3/17.

https://youtu.be/9TZeJqHXj2o

Korg Pa4X (TRS to XLR direct to the speakers)
Ultimate Support IQ-2000 X-Stand with boom attachment
Shure Beta58a (Hooked to XLR of Pa4X)
Roland DP-10 Sustain Pedal
Yamaha DXR10 x2
R&R Cart
Jupiter Pocket Trumpet
Furman SS-6B
Music Stand
Cable Bag
B-up Tub
Yamaha Genos - RCF M20x - RCF HD10A (Stereo) - Jupiter Pocket Trumpet - Sennheiser e935 - Neumann KMS-104 plus-N

#431340 - 05/04/17 07:20 AM Re: The Most Minimal Setup [Re: shueymusic]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By shueymusic
This was my minimal setup... my pre-lunch gig from 5/3/17.

https://youtu.be/9TZeJqHXj2o

Korg Pa4X (TRS to XLR direct to the speakers)
Ultimate Support IQ-2000 X-Stand with boom attachment
Shure Beta58a (Hooked to XLR of Pa4X)
Roland DP-10 Sustain Pedal
Yamaha DXR10 x2
R&R Cart
Jupiter Pocket Trumpet
Furman SS-6B
Music Stand
Cable Bag
B-up Tub

hey that Pa4x looks familiar wink lol....
Shuey great job as always,.. clap
love the trumpet solo nice touch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online