SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#430087 - 03/24/17 06:37 PM OT: Android phone ...
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Does anyone here use a virus scan app on their smart phone?
thanks

#430088 - 03/24/17 06:47 PM Re: OT: Android phone ... [Re: tony mads usa]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Nope, I don't believe it's necessary, but really unsure. I guess I depends on how much time you spend on the Internet. Take a look at http://www.androidcentral.com/antivirus-android-do-you-need-it

Good luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#430091 - 03/24/17 08:46 PM Re: OT: Android phone ... [Re: tony mads usa]
tnicoson Offline

Loc: Chicago area - USA
I use Avast on all my devices - desktop, laptops, tablets, and smart-phone. It does the job very well, but doesn't get in the way of processor or network performance. It has active elements (as well as a scan function) that prevent you from getting a virus or malware to begin with, rather than JUST an after-the-fact scanner that tells you that you aleady have one. If you have a smart-phone, it has a browser that can go to the same places that can give a virus to a computer, and some of the more dreaded of those viruses and malware can also infest Android and/or iOS systems. With so many people doing their shopping, banking, investing, etc from their tablets and phones these days, the hackers are not about to let that lucrative "market" slip by them untapped. Yay or nay? To each his own, but I'd rather be safe than sorry on this one. Besides, it doesn't cost me a thing. I use the freeware version of Avast on all my devices.

Edited by tnicoson (03/24/17 09:16 PM)

#430100 - 03/25/17 01:03 AM Re: OT: Android phone ... [Re: tony mads usa]
Bachus Offline

So far there are not many android virusses... only half of the apps in the free stores is infected.. and thats no joke...

So either get a good virus scanner, or stay away from free apps

http://keyszone.boards.net

#430101 - 03/25/17 01:14 AM Re: OT: Android phone ... [Re: tony mads usa]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
The modern Smart Phone (Like Broadband) is designed to be always on, (When was the last time you saw somebody under 50 not using his phone while doing something, (Walking, drinking, eating etc.) so yes, a good free protection will be required.

In addition, most users under 50 have a Rooted their phone, (Jailbreak on iOS) to allow them to do things the phone was not designed for, which as it bypasses a lot of security protocols makes it even more susceptible to attack.

Also, make sure you use a VPN (Virtual Private Network) App when using online banking etc. (This is of vital importance if using outside Wi-Fi) to prevent all your security details from being stolen.

If your over 50, probably less so, as you will probably be using it minimally, thus reducing any risks anyway.

Like always, be aware to be safe.

Hope this helps

Bill

#430104 - 03/25/17 03:57 AM Re: OT: Android phone ... [Re: tony mads usa]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Tony, Check your email, there's a message regarding another topic.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online