SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#430001 - 03/20/17 09:34 AM Medicaid and music
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Driving home from the Twin Cities yesterday, I listened to a PBS radio broadcast regarding Obamacare vs. the current administration.

One thing I heard was that Medicaid may be significantly cut back. From what I understand, Medicaid funds long term care nursing homes etc.

Usually, when funds are cut back, music is the first to go.

Thoughts?

Edited by guitpic1 (03/20/17 09:35 AM)

#430003 - 03/20/17 12:16 PM Re: Medicaid and music [Re: guitpic1]
Bachus Offline

I promised myself not to cast criticisme on the current us government...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#430005 - 03/20/17 12:48 PM Re: Medicaid and music [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Wrong - medicaid only funds a small portion of the patients in long term care facilities. Most are covered by a combination of medicare and private, supplemental insurance. And, some pay the difference in cost directly to the facility from their savings and retirement accounts.

In my part of the world, as I believe in most areas of the US, musical entertainment is mandated. Now, I'm not sure about the constraints of this mandate, and what the ADs are required to do. Most have a specific budget just for activities, and it is usually left up to the AD as to how those funds are distributed.

Personally, I would worry too much about it. If I had my health back and were 20 years younger, I could easily perform 500 jobs a year here and never travel more than 30 miles from home to get to the most distant of them. Assisted Living Centers, Retirement Communities, and Long Term Care facilities are a huge, highly profitable business in the United States. New facilities are opening constantly in my area, many of which would easily house 500 or more residents. Some, are huge campuses, and I know of one complex that has Independent Living, Assisted Living and Long Term Care all on the same 125-acre campus. It also has a huge church, funeral parlor, a couple dozen staff physicians and huge nursing staff. All of the buildings are connected through underground corridors so you never have to go outdoors when the weather is bad. It also has a huge pond that is stocked with largemouth bass, channel catfish, bluegill, and pickerel where residents can just sit on a bench and watch the world go by in good weather, or pick up their fly rod and cast to a variety of exceptionally large, freshwater gamefish.

Of course, all of this comes at a price, which ranges from $4,000 to $7,500 a month, including all meals and housekeeping. Some services, such as laundry, are extra. Now, there will always be budget cuts, which are usually the result of some pencil pushing geek at the corporate level that thinks he or she will make points with the CEO or Chief Administrator and get a raise for saving them a few bucks by slicing the budget where they think they can get away with it. When this happens, which is usually every couple years, one of the first things to get the budget axe is the activities department. It has happened to all of us at one time or another.

The secret to success is knowing how to handle it. In most instances, I was usually not effected at all, while some performers who charged less than half what I made were the first to go. Of course, the old say holds true "You only get what you paid for!" If you could provide the goods, as DNJ always said, you usually kept your job at the same rate of pay.

When some told me they could no longer pay my rate, I told them that I would not play for less than that amount, however, we could offset this by just cutting back the number of performance dates from monthly to bi-monthly. After a while, the bi-monthly schedule usually reverted back to monthly. Additionally, during the cut back schedule, I was always the first person that was called for special events, mainly corporate open house parties at that particular facility. Those parties were usually 2 to 3 hours, which meant I was able to pick up a fairly hefty paycheck for that job. And, more often than not, it was the corporate folks that put me back on the monthly schedule, and still insisted that I perform for the corporate parties, both at that facility and many others within an hour or less drive time.

Like I said, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

All the best,

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (03/20/17 01:00 PM)

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#430059 - 03/23/17 11:18 PM Re: Medicaid and music [Re: travlin'easy]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By travlin'easy
In my part of the world, as I believe in most areas of the US, musical entertainment is mandated. Now, I'm not sure about the constraints of this mandate, and what the ADs are required to do. Most have a specific budget just for activities, and it is usually left up to the AD as to how those funds are distributed.

Gary....this was mentioned a few years ago (maybe by you?). At the time I asked an AD that I knew real well and I think she said they are required by law to produce "entertainment" but that doesn't necessarily mean music. It can be anything from a hypnotist to a lecturer to an organ grinder with a monkey on a string. Don't take this as Gospel, but I believe those were the requirements at that time. Who knows what they are now.....everything, everywhere changes from day to day now!

#430060 - 03/23/17 11:32 PM Re: Medicaid and music [Re: guitpic1]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
In my state, there have been many government funding cuts and less subsidies to various organizations these last few years resulting in less free or low-cost entertainment presentations and less opportunities for musicians to perform. The news articles are usually buried somewhere on the back page because for some strange reason music is not considered essential to the functioning of the Human Race.

Now the present administration of the Federal Government has put forth a budget, I believe, that completely eliminates ALL government funding for the Arts. The first step in the demise of humanity!

Mark

#430063 - 03/24/17 04:48 AM Re: Medicaid and music [Re: Mark79100]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By Mark79100
In my state, there have been many government funding cuts and less subsidies to various organizations these last few years resulting in less free or low-cost entertainment presentations and less opportunities for musicians to perform. The news articles are usually buried somewhere on the back page because for some strange reason music is not considered essential to the functioning of the Human Race.

Now the present administration of the Federal Government has put forth a budget, I believe, that completely eliminates ALL government funding for the Arts. The first step in the demise of humanity!

Mark

Maybe if people where to pay some more taxes, it could be spend on the welfare of people and arts..

The problem all these governements have is people do not want to pay taxes and vote with their wallets.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#430065 - 03/24/17 07:38 AM Re: Medicaid and music [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

Bachus, here in the US, the avergage working stiff pays aboout 65 percent of their income in various taxes.

Mark, I believe the mandate is for musical entertainment, mainly because of it's theraputic action. There have been several, double-blind studies on this that have clearly shown where music has an incredibly postive effect on the patient's overall health and longevity.

All the best,

Gary

#430067 - 03/24/17 08:18 AM Re: Medicaid and music [Re: guitpic1]
mirza Offline

Loc: london,ontario.canada
There is enough money. But it's more important to finance and create war after war. War is a really good business, who cares about people.

TYROS 5,BEHRINGER X32PRODUCER,YAMAHA DSR112,JBL PRX618s XLF,EV ZLX12p,SENNHEISER E945,....ETC

#430068 - 03/24/17 10:51 AM Re: Medicaid and music [Re: mirza]
travlin'easy Offline

Originally Posted By mirza
War is a really good business, who cares about people.

You really don't know a Hell of a lot about the cost of wars, which is well documented if you take the time to read about the subject.

Gary cool

#430072 - 03/24/17 01:29 PM Re: Medicaid and music [Re: guitpic1]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Gary, I think Mirza was just being 'sarcastic'. I'm sure, with his background, he is VERY aware of the cost of war. In some of his previous posts, he has spoken out quite eloquently against the horrors of war and some of the political motivations behind it.

chas

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online