SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#429699 - 03/10/17 09:10 AM New Technics Keyboard Seen In Store
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
This post came from a UK forum I read daily. Anyone know about this?

"Went into Carmarthen this morning popped into the music shop to get a new music book the store was quite full .out of the corner of my eye I saw this keyboard which had just come out of its box it said Technics on it .a 61 key I think it was in a mahogany case with black interior and had a hindged plastic cover . I thought Technics had stopped making keyboards .im just interested not thinking of changing .has anyone seen anything about it"

Deane

#429716 - 03/10/17 01:19 PM Re: New Technics Keyboard Seen In Store [Re: hammer]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By hammer

"Went into Carmarthen this morning popped into the music shop to get a new music book the store was quite full .out of the corner of my eye I saw this keyboard which had just come out of its box it said Technics on it .a 61 key I think it was in a mahogany case with black interior and had a hindged plastic cover . I thought Technics had stopped making keyboards .im just interested not thinking of changing .has anyone seen anything about it"

Deane

why didnt he take a picture??

#429721 - 03/10/17 02:23 PM Re: New Technics Keyboard Seen In Store [Re: hammer]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By hammer

Deane

In the words of Arte Johnson (Laugh In late 60's early 70's TV show)-"Verrrry Interrresting !!!"

#429728 - 03/10/17 11:49 PM Re: New Technics Keyboard Seen In Store [Re: hammer]
Anthony Johnson Offline

Loc: Sheffield Yorkshire England
My dream come true.
The people from a far distant Galaxy have finally come to bring us what this planet needs most.
Tony

#429729 - 03/11/17 01:16 AM Re: New Technics Keyboard Seen In Store [Re: hammer]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Options:

1. It is quite possible that the person who posted it in the forum, travels around in a Blue Police Box. smile

2. Panasonic has reintroduced the Technics brand name in the Hi-Fi/DJ World, so it’s possible they rebadged another keyboard, to sell it using the Technics name.

3. I can only find one music shop in Carmarthen, and there is no mention on their website about Technics, so if one is available, it’s slipped in under the radar.

4. The shop he mentioned, was a second hand (Thrift) shop, and it was a used Technics.

Intriguing

Bill

#429730 - 03/11/17 02:16 AM Re: New Technics Keyboard Seen In Store [Re: hammer]
Bachus Offline

If there really would be a revival of the technics keyboard brand , i suppose it would be all over the interwebs before even released...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#429732 - 03/11/17 03:35 AM Re: New Technics Keyboard Seen In Store [Re: hammer]
screenshot Offline

wish i knew the forum hammer was reffering to...iv'e browsed all the uk forums i'm on ,and no mention of a new technics keyboard...damn i hope this news is true

#429735 - 03/11/17 05:26 AM Re: New Technics Keyboard Seen In Store [Re: hammer]
Bachus Offline

But then, what would 20 year old quallity offer if not updated to 2017?

So what did the kn7000 offer that can not be done with my current pa4x?

http://keyszone.boards.net

#429738 - 03/11/17 06:04 AM Re: New Technics Keyboard Seen In Store [Re: hammer]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Screenshot,
The forum is Keith Ball's Yamaha Keyboard Kapers and the poster is Lofty. By the way, Lofty posted a second post. He call the shop and the Keyboard he saw was not new but a trade-in.

Here is a link to the post:
http://keyboardkapers.myfreeforum.org/viewtopic.php?p=64118#64118

Deane

#429739 - 03/11/17 06:05 AM Re: New Technics Keyboard Seen In Store [Re: Bachus]
screenshot Offline

Originally Posted By Bachus
But then, what would 20 year old quallity offer if not updated to 2017?

So what did the kn7000 offer that can not be done with my current pa4x?
.....when you put it like that..i suppose you are right....my technics kn 800,was my first proper arranger i purchased...way back when...so i've a soft spot for technics.....

#429740 - 03/11/17 06:43 AM Re: New Technics Keyboard Seen In Store [Re: Bachus]
RC Offline

Loc: Pa Usa
The sequencer in the Kn7000 was far superior to the Korg Pa3x cant speak for the 4 x but I would assume there is not much difference between the two. It was way easier in step record, punch record. Korg cannot sequence like the Kn could back in 2002. Try one and you will see. This is my opinion Im sure there is other people that agree with me. I have said it many times Technics was ahead of its time.

#429742 - 03/11/17 08:25 AM Re: New Technics Keyboard Seen In Store [Re: RC]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By RC
Technics was ahead of its time

I believe that Technics priced themselves out of the market, by allowing the home stores to sell them with no published list prices. They were a niche market for a time, and a great product (I've owned several), but saying they were ahead of their time just reinforces the fact that they are also dead ahead of their time. There's no glory in that.

#429749 - 03/11/17 10:34 AM Re: New Technics Keyboard Seen In Store [Re: Uncle Dave]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I owned every Technics keyboard from the Kn2000 to the Kn7000, and I had four different Kn7000 over several years. If there was a Kn8000 I would have it in my home.

The Kn7000’s sequencer was good, and was very friendly. Ahead of its time, yes. The Korg’s sequencer is not as friendly as Technics sequencer because it offers so much more. If you go through the learning curve on the Korg your creation will be much better.

The biggest setbacks of a sequence created on a Technics keyboard is that you could share no one but another technics owner. Yes you could send it as a GM sequence but it was never the same.

Only another opinion, John C.

PS, I sold my last Kn7000 this past year. The buyer was 90 years old. That says it all.

#429751 - 03/11/17 10:43 AM Re: New Technics Keyboard Seen In Store [Re: RC]
Anthony Johnson Offline

Originally Posted By RC
The sequencer in the Kn7000 was far superior to the Korg Pa3x cant speak for the 4 x but I would assume there is not much difference between the two. It was way easier in step record, punch record. Korg cannot sequence like the Kn could back in 2002. Try one and you will see. This is my opinion Im sure there is other people that agree with me. I have said it many times Technics was ahead of its time.

Exactly right - the sequencer was unmatched and still remains the best.
Some of the sounds are also much better than all the modern day keyboards including the French Horns, Oboe, English Horn, Marching Whistle, Hawaiian Guitar and I had 4 sound cards installed in mine.

The KN7000 was also the first board to use a lightning fast SD card when others were still on Floppy Disks and could import and save .wav files using Technics loader. It also had a file conversion mode to convert Roland, Solton (Ketron) Gem and Yamaha styles.
Add the best Style editing and operating system and it was years ahead of it's time without a doubt.
Tony

#429752 - 03/11/17 11:00 AM Re: New Technics Keyboard Seen In Store [Re: hammer]
Uncle Dave Offline

... aaaaaaand, it rests beside the superior BetaMax, at the video store. (??) 8 Tracks were better than cassettes too ... and analog is warmer than digital. The list goes on and on. If you still love something - use it. I have a dinosaur Korg i5s that I still love. It's my trusty backup in case any of my "new, improved" kbs go down. I'm not trying to rattle your cage, Tony ... just food for thought. Many things that were superior in design have been surpassed by products that the masses embraced more. Why? Who knows ... people like what they like. (or, maybe they like what they're told to like)
Tomato - Tomahto

#429760 - 03/11/17 01:24 PM Re: New Technics Keyboard Seen In Store [Re: Uncle Dave]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Here's another 'Tony' with nothing but praise for the technics - my last one is the KN6000 ...
When I read the OP I was immediately excited about the possibility of a new technics arranger, dance2 but in the next second I came to the realization that I probably wouldn't be able to justify the cost ... frown

#429790 - 03/12/17 07:30 AM Re: New Technics Keyboard Seen In Store [Re: Uncle Dave]
RC Offline

Loc: Pa Usa
Uncle Dave.
The question , by Bacus, was what can the Kn7000 do that the Pa4x cannot do? I believe that has been answered. A fact is a fact. It cannot do what was being done more than 15 yrs ago.

#429791 - 03/12/17 08:05 AM Re: New Technics Keyboard Seen In Store [Re: hammer]
Uncle Dave Offline

Well, one thing the kn7000 can NOT do is be sold and competitive in today's market. That was my point. Trends change, and Technics simply didn't change with the rest of the pack. You can argue what's best all day, but if it's not available ... what's the point?

#429802 - 03/12/17 04:26 PM Re: New Technics Keyboard Seen In Store [Re: Uncle Dave]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I loved the Kn7000 and its sequencer; we have a right to give it raves it was fantastic keyboard. I moved to Cakewalk/Sonar an external sequencer and it offered the many things that keyboards do not include in their keyboards.

No put down for the Kn7000, I created most of my sequencers on a Kn6500 and Kn7000 but it was time to move on. I’ll repeat myself, I bought four Kn7000 at different times hoping to renew that old feeling.

I played the Kn7000 alongside with my Pa900 comparing the two. It still sounded great but it was dated. Big Band, the Kn7000 was still great. Rock and Latin it was fare.

John C.

#429824 - 03/13/17 07:05 AM Re: New Technics Keyboard Seen In Store [Re: hammer]
Dnj Offline

I never liked the KN7000 the sunken keybed was horrible with the sides blocked on each end....
and IMO if you pout the pa4x and 7k side by side there is no comparison in sound quality & features..
the KN5000 was a best in the technics line after that I lost interest.

#429836 - 03/13/17 07:55 AM Re: New Technics Keyboard Seen In Store [Re: hammer]
Uncle Dave Offline

We've all said our piece, and all points are valid. Funny how some old gear keeps popping up in conversation. If anyone ever saw me perform on that i5s I'd get laughed off the stage .... UNTIL they heard it.
smile
s'all gud.

#429843 - 03/13/17 08:12 AM Re: New Technics Keyboard Seen In Store [Re: Dnj]
Anthony Johnson Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
I never liked the KN7000 the sunken keybed was horrible with the sides blocked on each end....
and IMO if you pout the pa4x and 7k side by side there is no comparison in sound quality & features..
the KN5000 was a best in the technics line after that I lost interest.

I didn't like the design myself or the new panel memory buttons and was very reluctant to trade in my KN6500 which was a fantastic board.
However, the new sounds and the convenience of the SD card along with other features soon convinced me that I had made a good choice.

Never had a Korg so I know nothing about the PA4x but to compare boards with a 12 year age difference means very little although I do knw that my KN7000 has some sounds which better my Tyros 4.

Technics were the innovators in the field at the time and despite what many think, they didn't stop selling or go bust but were closed down by the parent company, Panasonic, who said they made more profits on their TVs, Hi-Fi's, Vacuums and other electricals without putting a lot of R&D into their keyboard lines.
I'm quite sure that a KN8000 with a more traditional design would have still sold like hot cakes.

At the end, we all have different likes (which is a good thing or there would be no choice left) so it's good that everyone thinks that their own board is the bees knees but I also think that there have been no great strides made by any company since the demise of Technics and that's very sad.
Tony

#430066 - 03/24/17 07:48 AM Re: New Technics Keyboard Seen In Store [Re: hammer]
ykc Offline

Loc: Denver, CO USA
For what it's worth - I am still using a KN2000 for my school/synagogue programs. It has been a workhorse for me in the many years I have had it. The piano sound is terrible by today's standards, but the EP's, basses, and other sounds are more than useable. I would love a kurzweil micropiano -they're old, yes, but the piano sounds on board the little thing are great.

Thoughts?

I would love to see a new Technics arranger, indeed.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online