SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#429367 - 02/27/17 02:56 PM Got quite a(sort of) compliment.
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
The AD of a place where I regularly play(nursing home)told me today she thought my program worked well there.

She told me that usually, for other programs, residents usually lose interest after 1/2 hour and fall asleep. She said folks were 'engaged' the whole time and enjoyed themselves.

Got me to thinking. Back in the 60's when I was in my first rock band. We judged success on getting big crowds and people dancing, having a good time.

Now if I'm successful, the crowd stays awake. 😊

#429375 - 02/27/17 04:25 PM Re: Got quite a(sort of) compliment. [Re: guitpic1]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By guitpic1

Now if I'm successful, the crowd stays awake. 😊

laugh2 ... it is the world in which we live as senior entertainers ...

#429378 - 02/27/17 06:22 PM Re: Got quite a(sort of) compliment. [Re: tony mads usa]
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Excuse me for saying; but it is not about you, it is about them. They are giving all they have left, and if you helping them feel good inside that should give a special feeling of accomplishment.

I’m sorry I am preaching but I live with these people, I add to them whenever I can.

John C.

#429396 - 02/28/17 08:17 AM Re: Got quite a(sort of) compliment. [Re: bruno123]
guitpic1 Offline

Good point John.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm adding to their lives. But again, good thoughts.

#429403 - 02/28/17 09:01 AM Re: Got quite a(sort of) compliment. [Re: guitpic1]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By guitpic1
Good point John.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm adding to their lives. But again, good thoughts.

All you have to do is look at their faces when you are performing ... the smiles and the lips moving with the lyrics tells you all you need to know ...

#429405 - 02/28/17 10:40 AM Re: Got quite a(sort of) compliment. [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I agree with Tony. Also, take some time to schmooze with the residents and get to know them. The vast majority are very nice, intelligent individuals who have outlived their bodies. They are not living there because they want to be. They, like most people, unfortunately, can no longer take care of themselves and safely live in their homes. And, the younger people in this country, unlike most of Europe (at least when I was there) do not move their aging family members in with them when they can no longer care for themselves. That's why assisted living and retirement communities are such a huge industry in the United States.

When I was still performing, I knew the names of many of the folks I played for. I also got to know some of their family members, sat and talked with them after the performance and had a glass of soda or wine, visited them when they became ill, and even attended a few funerals. My greatest pleasures included performing at their anniversaries and in a few rare instances, weddings to other residents.

So, if you have a little time after setting up your gear, walk through the audience and talk with the residents, ask them if they have a special song they would like you to play and sing, ask them how they are doing. It's not only good business ethics, but it's also a nice thing to do.

Good luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#429420 - 03/01/17 05:33 AM Re: Got quite a(sort of) compliment. [Re: guitpic1]
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Thanks for receiving what I said.

John C.

#429498 - 03/04/17 02:05 AM Re: Got quite a(sort of) compliment. [Re: bruno123]
guitpic1 Offline

The day after I wrote this I played at a Veterans Home. Big crowd, lots of dancing for those that could, singing and fun.

Reminded me why I do this.

smile

Edited by guitpic1 (03/04/17 02:06 AM)

#429538 - 03/05/17 10:33 AM Re: Got quite a(sort of) compliment. [Re: guitpic1]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I played a dueling piano show last night, in a private home for a 40th birthday. This kind of act is usually tips-driven, but given the intimacy and occasion, we decided to leave the fish bowls out. The show was well received, much appreciated, and loads of fun, so , I guess we made the right call ... cuz we got 1/2 hour of O/T and made $130 with the O/T & tips anyway! These shows use a lot of raw energy, and require strong vocal stamina, but it's SO much fun, when it works, and it works 99% of the time. It's almost always a huge success, great money, and repeat business. No sequences, no arrangers ... just 4 hands, 2 pianos and 2 voices. Crazy business, this is.

#429545 - 03/05/17 12:43 PM Re: Got quite a(sort of) compliment. [Re: guitpic1]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
A private home with two pianos? Sounds like a nice neighborhood.
Eddie

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online