SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 12 of 12 < 1 2 10 11 12
Topic Options
#4281 - 02/18/04 06:53 AM Re: Bought a Juno 106
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just wanted to own a minimoog, because I happen to love synthesizers. It's not a matter of musical inspriation, but just fact that I want one. If I was looking for musical inspration, why on earth did I buy the juno?

The real reason for buying the juno was one, I thought it was a cool looking synth, two this one was at a good price $280.00. (Could not pass it up) Three, I thought it would get me playing keyboards, but saddly it did not. I'm funny when it comes to this sort of thing. It's like someone who buys a valuable piece of art only for the monetary value and not becuse they like art. I got it more for it asthetics then for it's playability. Which BTW is not the wisest descion on my part. This would porbabaly hold true for the minimoog, though I don't know.

The only peice of electronic music hardware that I ever really enjoyed aside form the Minimoog, was Roland's MC-303 groovebox. I remember playing one once in a music store in Baltimore Maryland. All I did was press a button and listen to what was coming out, then I pressed a few more until I got something I liked. Without too much thinking or effort, but just letting the music flow out of whatever was in my head. But instead of buying a groovebox I bought a keyabord instead. I bought a JX-305 groovesynth, thinking it would be better then the groovebox. HA! Boy was I ever wrong. I bet if I bought the groovebox instead of the groovesynth I would playing it. Instead I sold the groove synth to find another replacement.

I think I should get away from keyboards in general, becuse obviously they are not helping me to be inspired musically.

I bet if I had been around in the late 60's and early 70's I porabbly would have bought a Buchla synth instead of a moog. Becuse the buchla system used touch pads instead of a tradtional style keyboard. I think it maybe the keyoard that is giving me so much of a problem that I force myeslf to play tradtionaly instead of just letting the music flow.

Granted the Minimoog has a piano keyboard, but I was to own on keyboard synth that would be it.

[This message has been edited by Paul-61 (edited 02-18-2004).]

#4282 - 02/18/04 01:29 PM Re: Bought a Juno 106
Sanvean Offline

Loc: UK
Paul you make me laugh so much my sides ache!
Having a Groovebox does not in any way make you a musician and what ever was flowing out your head as "you" say was not "your" music but pre-programmed beats and tunes. If you had taken the time and effort to actually learn your JX-305 Groovesynth you would have been able to virtually create the same type of stuff on that!

I am tired of listening to you pitiful whinging about owning a Moog because to be honest you probably would not even be inspired to learning the first thing about it. You need to go back to basics and learn about sound creation and subtractive synthesis this would give you a foundation to start from.
Why do you not get yourself enrolled on some kind of synthesis course at a local College or University, people there will be only too willing to help you and then you may come to understand what the hell you want from keyboards eventually!

"Fed up" Sanvean signing off forever over and out!

#4283 - 02/18/04 07:29 PM Re: Bought a Juno 106
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
JUNO, groovebox,Buchla ...kazoo...keyboard, no touch pads..whatever man.No one is obligated to be a programmer or a musician to own any of that stuff.

Paul,
Musician or not, Good or bad...You seem to enjoy synths and like them enough to spend money on them So I don't see any harm in you getting a groovebox. I mean you'll most likely get sick of it at some point, but who cares - have fun NOW.

-ED-

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 02-18-2004).]

#4284 - 02/18/04 08:39 PM Re: Bought a Juno 106
Anonymous
Unregistered

You know what I will get what I dang well please. If I want a groovebox, then dang it I will get a groovebox. If I want a minimoog, then dang it I will get one. I fi want a Paia Fatman then dang it I will get one.

If you don't like it, I don't really care.

It's my LIFE and MY money.

#4285 - 02/19/04 01:36 PM Re: Bought a Juno 106
Anonymous
Unregistered

This synth is prorbably a good MIDI controller too. I have a bid in for a Paia Fatman Synth. I figured I could use the 106 to control the fatman.

#4286 - 02/22/04 11:05 PM Re: Bought a Juno 106
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by 3351:
Paul,
I mean you'll most likely get sick of it at some point, but who cares - have fun NOW.
-ED-
[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 02-18-2004).]

I guess the thing that surprises me is that Paul-61 really doesn't seem to be having ANY fun with his synth. Maybe he would have been getting a Roland Groove Box instead of a conventional keyboard based synth.

#4287 - 02/26/04 07:08 AM Re: Bought a Juno 106
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Paul,

You have a computer obviously. Perhaps a suggestion. Before you spend the money and then find out you don't like the equipment maybe this would work for you. If you have anything in the computer that would serve as a Vst / Dxi instrument host, you could download a demo of Arturia's Mini Moog V and play around with it to see if you like the sounds. I just tried it and since there won't be any real mini moog here any time soon, I'm buying the softsynth. It sounds awesome.

In fact, I think it's standalone too, so you wouldn't even need a Vst host program. It's a close enough emulation that Bob Moog himself endorsed it and worked with Arturia on it.

Groove boxes.. OK.. try Arturia's "Storm" demo. It's on the low end of the spectrum for software grooveboxes, but it's simple to use and it comes with some preprogrammed beats. Other soft synth / groove machines that have demo's include Cakewalk Project 5, Reason, reaktor, Orion Platinum.. etc etc.

If you like this stuff, then maybe the hardware stuff will be up your alley as well. Maybe these programs will help you to make a more informed decision.

By the way, my Poly 6 couldn't touch this Mini Moog software synth in a lot of ways, but I still miss it and wish now I hadn't gotten rid of it.

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 02-26-2004).]

#4288 - 02/26/04 08:08 AM Re: Bought a Juno 106
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks AJ, that's sound advice. I will look into downloading a demo version of Arturias Moog V.

#4289 - 03/03/04 10:13 PM Re: Bought a Juno 106
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Hay Paul!
I just got my PC back...well at least for now. The metwork card is still messed up, so I connect via USB for now.
.com synth plans are looking good. I've also decided to build the system one thing at a time. Well, more like 3-4 modules at a time. Should be more fun then getting a monster synth full of modules and having to learn all about them right away..

BTW
My e-mail accounts are still disabled (G4 is in repairs and PC is kinda bouncing in between my home and a repair shop...). Well with a bit of luck and patience I should have my computer nightmare out of the way soon.
Anyways, just saying hi. Did you check into NLP yet?

-ED-

Page 12 of 12 < 1 2 10 11 12

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online